Garmin 160 or a 240

• Thread starter Sisco Sisk [URL]http://www.basspro-shops.com/servl
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sisco Sisk

Reaction score
I bought a new Nitro 185 a couple of years ago and still have not put a graph on it. Mostly because I was never confident in what the graphs I've had before (Eagle magna 1 and 2)were showing. Also, I fish a lot of small lakes no deeper than 40' and rarely fish deep structure. So it's been hard to justify spending $2-300.00 on something I rarely use.

Recently I've been looking at Temp gages due to the importance of water temp in the spring and was shocked to find out that a good Temp gage costs nearly $100.00.

So now I'm convinced I would be better off spending a little more $$$ and get a graph with a temp gage and be done with it. So far I've got it nailed down to 2 graphs. The Garmin 160 and 240. The garmin is around $160.00 and appears to be able to do everything that the 240 can do....it just has a smaller lcd. Does anyone have some input that would help me decide?

http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=12289&hvarTarget=search

I have a 160 on the front of my NX882sc and I love it. Am probably going to replace the eagle on the console to a 160 as well. Funny, I purchased my 160 at bps in concord, nc and they said there wasn't a rebate. According to their website, there is still a $40 rebate.

Thanks!

bryan

I have the 160 on the console and it outperforms the Hummingbird. The graph is clear and reads at high speeds with no problem at all. Mine has the temp too.

I've put both a 160 (bow) and a 240 (console) on my Targa. Love them both - and they are interchangeable from bow to console as they use the same type transducer. If you have the bucks, go for the gold and get the 240. Nice, very nice. Having said that, the 160 is a solid performer also.

Also - Bryan,

Just realized that you are in the Carolina's. I'm in Rock Hill, just over the border. We should get together some time and wet a line.

Tex

I have a 160 and wish I had the 240. I would have purchased the 240 but needed one ASAP and the 160 is all Wally world had. The 240 has more power, better resolution. The 160 still gives temps, at least mine does. I would get the 240.

For what little extra it costs, it's worth it to have the resolution and extra umph. Just my .02

I use a garmin 240 on the dash and a HB200 in the front - the garmin is great! More power and better resolution - big pluses.

david.....

I have a 160 on the front w/ temp. i have an OLD eagle on the console. I was going to buy another 160 for the console and do away with the old eagle. My question is with the built in temp, if i mount the transducer in the hull, how will i get a temp reading? should i buy the trolling motor transducer or the transome mount transducer for mounting in the hull?

Tex...just sent you an email.

Bryan

Bryan -

I called Garmin and asked that question.....

Buy the transom mount. It has a flat surface that will easily mount in the hull.

You will likely have to purchase a seperate temperature sensor to mount outside the hull if you want accurate readings. Garmin does package the units with an inside-the-hull transducer / seperate sensor - but I wasn't able to find anyone who carried that packaging.

me!