Trust those Garmins! Fish ID report

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Most here know that I switched to Garmin's on my boat over the fall/winter. I have a 160 and 240 (bow and console respectively). I have been trying to use them with standard 'gain' settings and fish id turned off. That's what the 'book' says.

By the middle of the day on Sunday (2 day tourney), I re-adjusted both to a higher gain (+3), and turned fish-id + depth-id on, for both units. At that time, I really started being productive.

In the cove I was in, I had caught one on a c-rig (after finding him on the graph), and then had fished out from the end of a dock. Nothing. I made a pass just past the end of the dock with my rig (within 1 ft of the dock, in about 10 feet of water). Spotted a small brushpile with one fish on it. Went out to 'casting distance', and put that baby in the boat with one cast.

Later, found another brushpile out about 20-25 feet in front of the dock with three fish on it. Took one off. Now showing two. Came back later (45 minutes or so), and found two still on it (fish id showed one 'med' size, and one a little larger). 'Parked' right over the brushpile (using the graph), and proceeded to hookup with what I think was the bigger fish (reported in my tourney post).

This is the first time that I've really felt like my electronics are paying off big time. I know now that with my Garmin's, I can TRUST what they are telling me. No, they don't tell the species, but I quickly learned yesterday to disregard those 'little id's', and only concentrate on the better ones.

Hope that this helps.

Tex

Thanks Tex!

I just bought a 240 to compliment my 168 GPS/Sounder. (the 240 will be officially the bow unit, but can swap for the console at will).

Was wondering about those gain settings. I was not as impressed with it yesterday, but did not toy with it beyond factory setttings.

When you are running on plane, do you get any readings at all?

Yes, I get readings on plane, but several things contribute. Let me explain.

With my old HBird, I got nothing past about 15 mph. With the 240 (console), I got good readings most of the time, with my standard prop. It got bent, and I've got a spare on right now that I used this weekend. With that prop, I got readings, but not as good. I believe it has a slight bit of additional turbulence.

In short, there are several factors. If you run a standard riveted hull aluminum boat, it will be difficult, because the rivet heads cause bubbles/turbulence. Welded hulls are better, glass can be mounted to shoot 'through the hull'.

Hope this helps.

Tex

so... if I turn the fish ID off, what will I see when there is a fish???? will it be a arch?

Kraig

Jim,

Appreciate your insight. I've read the lessons, and also read many of the opinions. I also know that there is not much good information out there on interpreting what's on the graph. I'd love for Garmin or Lowrance (or someone else for that matter), to put together a good book/paper/lesson on interpreting what's on the graph. Yes, I agree with you that I'm trying to find structure most of the time.

However, when I'm fishing competitively, it's easier for my to quickly interpret the ID's. Yes, I need more 'casual' time on the water with my units (only the second time I've used the 240 mind you), but time will tell.

When I'm running the boat, fishing actively, fighting the wind, trying to score, etc., the id's give me some additional feedback that I can interpret quickly.

Maybe when I get more time, and can do some comparison testing, then I'll be able to interpret better. Another item is this. If my 'partner' on the back is 5-6 feet away from the unit, seeing the ID's is much easier than trying to see any details on a 4" by 2" screen. Even though I'm closer to my bow unit than the person in the back, it's still pretty tough.

Additionally, I found this weekend, that my confidence level went way up after I reset the units. There is NOTHING that imroves your fishing as when you have a high confidence level.

Tex

Kraig,

I've yet to see an arch on either of my units. The 'arch' only shows up if you have the right strength of return (signal return), and also the right 'speed' of movement over the fish. My understanding is that you will seem some horizontal lines (some short, some longer) that are the 'fish'.

Tex

Tex

The link i posted above is some of the best information you will find on how to read a graph. Its really good info and worth the read.

Kraig What you will see are most likely are lines or partial arches, i call them "blips". From what i read you need just the right conditions for make a full arch.

Arches require unique circumstances... like what was alluded to above, you have alot of considerations:

1. Speed of travel (you and the fish)

2. Position of fish in the "cone"

3. Direction fish is facing relative to your direction of travel.

That being said, fishes are'nt allways arches. They could be straight lines, downward angles, etc.

The _best_ info I have found yet on Sonar and interpetation of it is the info from Don Iovino. The video he produced is excellent.

Mind you, I still have alot of practical time to put in to put it all together, but watching his video answered alot of questions.

the Lowrance tutorial is also very good at explaining it.
http://www.iovino.com/sonar.html

The only time I've seen true arches is above HUGE stripers on Texoma. My screen looked just like the TV ads with big balls of shad and perfect arches moving up and down below them.

Your "average" fish will just show up as a small horizontal line above the more solid lines representing the structure.

On the readings on plane, my transducer is external (not glassed in)... am beginning to wonder if it is mounted in the wrong place on the transom (had the dealer install it for me).

Does anyone have any good information (drawings/picutres, etc..) on best external placement on a 901 or similar boat?

i had heard that left vs right of the prop also made a difference on readings when on plane.

Thanks!

I have caught fish when the fish ID showed nothing at all and completly blanked when the thing was going off like a pinball machine. Tex, you're right the ID does give you some confidence that you are in the right area. However in one particular area I fish is loaded with turtles. When you troll through all the turtles slide off their nice sunny log and I'm sure they often swim under the boat. The things I look for most on the bow finder is depth and changes in depth and water temperature. When I not catching anything I do like to see the little fishy's on the screen-- it does give me some hope and a target to aim for but I know that what I'm seeing could be bass, carp, catfish, or Jimmy Hoffa.

Harpo

P.S. Don Iovino said in his Bass U. presentation that he has begged Lowrance to quit showing arches in their liturature. Conditions have to be sooo perfect that most people will never see them. Lines and dots that's what you're looking for.

Latest posts

Back