New Worm Hook

• Thread starter Larry Harp [URL]http://www.basspro.com/servlet/cat
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
I usually prefer straight shank Gami worm hooks but I thought I'd give these new Owners a try. Fished with them yesterday and I gotta say, I like 'em. The little rubber stopper keeps the worm up on the eye better than any hook I've ever used and hook sets were excellent. I can never seem to keep a bottle of super glue from drying up so these hooks may be the answer to always having to re-adjust the worm on the hook.

Harpo
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/cata...rClassCode=10&hvarSubCode=2&hvarTarget=browse
worm hook.jpg

i started using these about two months ago, i like them as well. i only use owner hooks, so when these came out i had to try them.

GregD

For the money and I always seem to lose quite a few(suppose to ain't we?) Is the Teflon coated Eagle Claws that you get at Wally World for a Dollar and some change:) I think a lot of guys thread too much of the head of the worm on a J hook. I find if I only keep about an eigth inch on the head...if it tears, I can actually shorten the worm and reuse it. The Owners I like but, are way too expensive for me. I use the Gammy's but, the Eagle Claws work just as good for me.

Tee,

I always go to the "clearance Section" at Wally world, They always seem to have worm hooks for $1.

Yeah Ive seen those but, the ones I seen did not have the Teflon coating...they will be flat grey:)

I have more worm hooks#$%^!!! Dating back to the seventies. I wish someone would stop changing them so I'd quit buying them. Ofcourse I never just buy ONE pack. Maybe I'll start a worm hook museum.

fatrap

Fatrap-

Give the museum a try!!!

Someone sent me an email a while back with a link to a website where the guy had a collection of airline puke bags!

HUGE collection...dated back to when they first started flying...

If he can do that, bring on the hooks!!!

az

Sooner you said "straight shank", I would never fish a worm on that type of hook. The picture you posted is an "offset". I would venture a guess that if you used a gammie EWG offset hook you wouldn't have any problems.

TOXIC

I started using straight shank hooks for worms after I read the KVD book "Secrets of a Champion". I thought what the heck, if it works for him it ought to work for me and I do notice better hooksets with the straight hooks. I had forgotten about the toothpick trick.

I usually use the offset hooks for baits that are thicker like Senkos, ribbed worms, Brush Hogs ect. I use the extra wide gap hooks for tubes and flukes and Fat Ikas.

Harpo
KVDhook.jpg

What the illistration doesn't show is that to get it rigged so that the worm is verticle on the hook, you will rip the worm 9 times out of 10. Look at the angle the hook is inside the worm. But Hey, if it works for KVD then great!! I just have a hard time trusting those Michigan boys!!LOL!! I know the type!!

TOXIC

Tox, the thing to remember is KVD doesn't have to worry about shredding worms. I'm sure he has plenty.

Gene