Which BPS Rod/Reel Combo?

• Thread starter Paul P [URL]http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to choose one of these 2 combos and will probably be getting 2 different setups.

Thanks!

Paul

For what its worth i have had excellent success with Shimano reels over the years. They are super durable and have never let me down. The new Citga is reallt the old curado replacement and looks like a nice reel. If it works as well as the Curado did it will last forever if taken care of. I dont have any experience with the JLM reel at all but thats mainly because i have had trouble with other Bass Pro reels and have steered away from them. I also dont know much about the rods, i use St Croix only.

If it was me i would get the Citga and a St Croix Premier rod. thats a combo that will work well together. Shimano reels and St Croix rods seem to balance out together really well. The Premier for the money they ask for it is a very nice rod, personally i dont think there is anything that compares in that price range. They also really stand behind thier product.

Thats just my .02

Never had much luck with Shimano always used Quantum bought the JM reel 5 years ago fell in love with it now I have 8 of them but I have them on Quantum Pro Tour rods so I dont know how the JM rods are

JD

I don't have any JM reels but I do love the JM rods my partner has 2 of the JM reels and he just loves them. It's all comes down to what you have confidence with.:D fyi all my rods are bass pro rods

Paul, I have a JLM Combo and love it. It's as smooth a reel as can be and the rod is very sensitive.

I believe the JLM reel and the new Citica are about the same price when the JLM is on sale.

So, the difference in the price between the two you are looking at is the rod. So, you are looking at a $120.00 rod or a $20.00 rod. Yes there is a difference.

Uncle Billy

Paul, I have no experience with the JLM rods or reels, but have a ton of experience with the BPS Exteme rods and reels. I have never, ever had a problem with them and recommend them to all of my friends. I do take care of mine with reguler cleaning/ preventive maintenance, but never an issue.

Both my Pastor (now that's living dangerously) and best friend have bought Extremes on my recommendation and they love theirs. My old tourny partner used only Rick Clunn rods and reels and spoke highly of them.

The higher end BPS stuff is good, don't know about the lower end stuff. I'm not attempting to steer you to the Extremes, just telling you of my experience with BPS rods and reels. You can spend more, but why?

Hope this helps some,

Steve

I have 10 extreme rods with 5 curado's and 5 stradic reels on them. I like them, but I have never used the JLM. I had a hard enough time spending $140.00 ea. on what I bought.

Gene

Great info guys. Thanks!

I am inclined to go with the Citica/Extreme combo ($140) froma budgetary point of view and it seems like a really good deal. The JLM better may be a little better but not sure if its worth 60% more in price ($225).

I don't think you will be disappointed with the Citica/Extreme Combo and that is a good price. I'm not sure the JLM is 60% better either but it is more than a "little" better. I have not had the chance to fish a lot with what I have except for shore fishing and tuning in my pool so I don't know how long they will stand up. I have three Curado's. Two are on matched Quarrow rods and the other is on a G.Loomis. The JLM rod is the equal of any of those and the reel is smoother and lighter than the Curado's.

Why in the world would anyone buy ten of anything without knowing anything about them? And if your Shimano gear was running ok, why did you switch? No offense, I'm just overly curious. When you are ready to throw those JLM's out, let me know will you?

Uncle Billy

Latest posts

Back