Rod choices?

• Thread starter Carlos Hathcock III
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos Hathcock III

Reaction score
OK, in the market for a 6 1/2 foot spinning rod, medium heavy action to put a Quantam Catalyst on.

Now, here is the kicker. I am having a problem convincing my self to pay more then 75 bucks or so for a rod. I was thinking of the All Star, G. Loomis etc, but man THEY ARE EXPENSIVE!!!

Ok, ya'all, help me decide. I was seriously thinking of the Schimano http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=20666&hvarSearchValue2=100&hvarSearchValue3=300&hvarSearchValue4=00&hvarTarget=search

There were a couple of other BPS ones that looked pretty good. Any ideas??

Carlos

love those Ugly Sticks. Last forever. Snapped my BPS XPS first season with it. They did replace it for me though.

All Star Classic Series.....should be around $49.99 @ BPS. Email me Carlos. I will put one in your hands....

Mini

I own an expensive rod or 2. Personally, they sit at the bottom of my rod box most of the time. I use rods between $19 and $79 most often. I can't tell a difference.

I use the Billy Westmorland's I found at BPS a couple of years ago. If I remember right, they were on sale for about 39.00 each and I love them.

Bill

Carlos-

Go down to your local Wally-World and put your hands on a Berkley Bionic rod...$50 will make it yours...I match them up with my Shimano Spirex reels and they're great!!!

I think Rob will agree---they're a good rod for the money!

az

When Pete was here he showed me some of his sponsor's rods. Grandt rods. Custom, and awesome. If he pops in, perhaps he can give you some details on them. If not Greg might give him a shout. I had never heard of the rods, but was very impressed. Can't say what the prices are though.

If I'm not mistaken I think Grandt rods come out of Arlington Heights, Il. ( a stone's throw for me) but I think all their sales are done at "shows" and online or phone. I checked out a few at last winter's fishing shows and was VERY impressed, but price wise for me it was not right to spend that much for recreational fishing. Probably the nicest rods I've come across, and they offered some kind of lifetime guarantee I think, but dollar wise I'll stick with my Rick Clunns', Bionics, etc. egMike

Man, I do like hanging out on this board!!!! Thanks for all the help ya'all!!! Mini you have mail ;-)

Carlos

PS Was COLD and windy at Anna yesterday (Well, cold by VA standards anyway) Clear water is the key Tox.

Castaway makes an IM6 rod (in casting at least) that should work. The St. Croix Premier series is also a great choice. VERY hard to find a St. Croix on sale though.

You might want to check out one of the new Woo Daves Drop Shot series of rods. Built on the Extreme blank with an extended counter balance butt and an exposed blank, I've found it very difficult to put it down while fishing and extremely sensitive for just about everything including drop-shotting. It will retail at the $99 price range like the other Extremes, but look for either an introductory special or catch it at a Spring Classic for around $60.

MS and Dan,

Thansk for the info. Hate to have this nice reel on a old fiberglass rod that I had when I was a kid.........

I have to wait until spring AARRGGHHH.......

Carlos