Bob G. what color should my oil be?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Hodge2

Reaction score
Bob G. or others.....I've just gotten a leaky oil tank replaced and in the process found a dealer that sells bulk oil. I have an optimax engine with the direct injection and boy that oil is costly that they recommend. So to my question. Is there anything about the oil color I should look for? The stuff they sold me bulk was green and what I had from tracker/mercury was brown. Does it matter? All I know is I hand the guy a jug, he goes out back and brings it full for $25 vs the regular price. Just curious. Engine runs like a top though and finally does not look like a mini exxon valdez!

I think you're looking for Bob B.

My Optimax/DFI oil is brown.

I'm not Bob B. but I purchase Opti oil from a dealer who sells bulk oil and it that's brown color, the same color as the 1 gallon jugs I first purchased before I found a bulk seller.

While working in the marine department of the local BPS, I have been shocked at the number of people looking for cheap oil to feed their new optimaxes. The oil system and requirements of an opti are completely different from the oil injection of older motors. The DFI (brown in color) oil has been developed for the special needs of an optimax. Please do not skimp in this vital area. The motors are a large investment -- please take good care of them.

Wow and yawl are right. Well that's another dealer off my list!!! My appologies to the Bob(s). I won't skimp if it's not the right oil for sure. That's why I asked here. I originally learned of bulk oil on this forum and have looked for it all over. When the oil tank leaked I went through my reservoir tank so fast I needed something in a hurry, walked into a lakeside dealer and they told me of their bulk oil but I just grabbed a jug off the shelf. I brought that empty back for their bulk and noticed it was tinted green so I had to come here and ask. That was also the second dealer that could not see the engine oil tank's cap threads were not threading properly. It's my second season with this boat and finally I have a new tank that holds oil. :D Thanks for the info guys

If you order the 2.5gal jug you can save about $20 over buying one gallon at a time.

Man! Optimax oil is the last thing you skimp on!!!! I'm not sure but you may void warrenty if your using an aftermarket brand. I just put a gallon in mine and it was close to $40 price of doing business.

fatrap

The cheapest place I can find Quicksilver DFI oil is at Academy. They have it in 1 gal and 2.5 gal. WalMart seems to carry every other type of out board motor oil except DFI.

I bought my Optimax/DFI oil at the link below. Local boat dealer price was $98 for 2 gallons, no bulk price available. I bought two 3 gallon cases for $200, including shipping. Saved roughly $100. I have enough oil to last the rest of this season and all of next season. My motor doesn't suck it down as fast as I thought it would.
http://www.domo-online.com/

6 gallons for 2 years? WOW....I have been through 15 gallons already this year!

I purchase my Opti oil locally at $34.00 per gallon. I guess i shouldnt complain at what i am paying verse some of your cost per gallon.

mini,

I don't do tournies and don't run the length of Champlain like the Everstart and FLW guys/gals do. Also didn't buy my current boat until the end of May. Gave away the Premium Plus I had with the last boat.

Understood. But I dont run Champlain like the everstart and flw guys do either!

Just got my three gallons from domo.com so I'm all set with brown oil. Thanks for the info everyone

I actually read the owners manual that came with the optimax XS and it actually calls for premium plus TCW-3. I had heard from others that it needed the opti oil,but the service center mechanic, and the manual say use the pp.

Latest posts

Back