Bob B - Engine is still beeping. What should I look at next?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
Recap:

2005 Mercury Optimax 225L

Serial number 1B189431

Original problem - engine wouldn't get on plane without beeping (constantly). Water pressure stayed between 6 and 8 PSI, never going any higher than that.

What I changed under your original instructions (December 3rd):

Poppet (entire assembly)

Both Thermostats

Strainer

Today was the first time I was able to get back out to the water to test.

Cranked it up at the dock and it died three times. That's never happened. Cranked it up and it finally kept running.

Just realized something today - it's been a while since I took the boat out, but I could have sworn my hot foot throttle could still give it gas when the engine wasn't in gear. It doesn't do that. I can press the throttle all the way to the floor and the engine RPM's don't change a bit. It does sound like something is happening though. I can only equate the sound to the change you hear in a car engine that is running and then you take off the air cleaner while it is running (like a throaty air sound). Normal?

Anyway, I cranked it up on the fourth try and it kept running, although it initially sounded rough. I put it into reverse, backed away from the dock, turned and put it in forward. Upon giving it a bit of gas, the roughness went away and it sounded great. Idled about 250-300 yards to the no wake buoy and crossed my fingers. Upon hammering it down, there it was immediately - Loud steady Beep. I came off the throttle and it went away. I could give it gas and the engine would put around the area just fine. So I aimed the bow in a very clear and open direction, stared at the gauges and did it again. My water pressure gauge was vibrating erratically right between 8 and 10 psi at holeshot, but was climbing as I continued through the throttle and beeping. Hole shot RPM's were approximately 3500. Bow came down and I leveled out on plane and immediately throttle back just enough to stay on plane. Constantly between 12 and 15 psi between 3000-3500, but it looked like it was going to keep climbing if I kept giving it gas.

But I didn't continue because it was fine until I tried to give it more throttle. Anything more than barely on plane and it would start beeping again. I came off of plane and idled around - everything seemed just fine when idling. I went back to the ramp and put it on the trailer.

Any ideas? It seems like my water pressure is fine now... but I can't get on plane without it beeping, or if I can get on plane (with it beeping), I can't go past 3500 rpm without it beeping again.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

All the best,

Glenn

I've also been considering buying a Smartcraft Merc Monitor. Do you think it's worth it, and do you know the best place to buy? Would this tell me more about what my engine is doing and make it easier to spot future issues?

All the best,

Glenn

Sounds as though your tps is on the fritz. Be sure to check the connector on the tps, unplug it, clean it, re connect. If this does not help, a tps sweep would be advised. By virtue of the fact that the throttle. Oils. E advanced with no change in rpm, is indicative of a tps malfunction, and yes it will trigger an alarm.

Bob,

Is the TPS the same as the Throttle Position Indicator? Looking at the parts diagram for my engine, it's item #33 on the page, part number 83295211.

http://www.marinepartsplus.com/catalog/mercury/serial/225_DFI_3.0L/803485004/10125-70

It's the little square shaped item that is directly behind and slightly above the fuel filter cap. Is that the one you are talking about? If it is, then this is making a heck of a lot more sense.

Many months ago, I changed out my fuel filter. I had not done it myself on this engine, as my dealer was just doing my routine maintenance until my warranty expired (figured that was the safest bet on a engine with a valid warranty). Since moving to TX, I didn't fish or use my boat quite as much, so I hadn't changed it as frequently. Just prior to having these problems, I changed the fuel filter according to a sequence on the internet which had me remove the three little screws from the TPI and move it out of the way along with the TPI link that is right above the filter cover. When I did that - it came apart in my hands. I looked it over, pieced it back together and reinstalled after my filter was in. :unsure:

Fast forward to today - I just pulled the TPI link off carefully with a little pair of needle nose pliers (which is probably what I should have done when changing the fuel filter - but I was following someone elses directions) and took the three screws out of the indicator. When I pulled it away from the engine, a piece stayed behind in the little hole in part 38 of that diagram - the bracket. The piece that stayed behind is the center part of the TPI. I put it back together, but there is nothing behind the TPI to keep it from falling out the back into the hole in that bracket.

So.... did we just solve the mystery, or is this coincidental?

If we did just solve it (thank you regardless!), can I just buy a new one and replace it, or does it have to be synced up or something? Or is the old one just fine without a backing on it and just having friction holding it in?

Just looked it up online - $148... which luckily, I can afford right now. :)

All the best,

Glenn

Yes, that is the correct part in question. It is a direct plug in, no synch needed. I hate to tell you to buy one without testing, but it is sure making sense to me even more so now after your explanation.;)

Thanks Bob! No worry about the typos. I "speak iPhone" too. I can't tell you how many times mine has autocorrected something like "Elias" into something like "E. Coli". Ha! I turned the autocorrect off for a while, but discovered I needed it more than not. :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Bob,

I had to order it, so it may be a week or so before I get it in. I'll let you know how things go. Thanks for everything. I greatly appreciate your continued assistance.

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back