Bob B. please advise

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Hodge2

Reaction score
OK Bob B. I'll try to give as many details, but please forgive wordiness. I have a 2010 Mercury 150 Optimax EFI with about 16 hours on it. Just bought the boat(189 Sport) in July.

First few outings it started fine and ran well but the engine oil tank bleed was lose. I tightened it down but did not purge the oil line so next time out got the 4 beeps. Bled the tank until it oozed out and tightened it down.......no further oil issues. The next few outings I noticed the engine didn't want to start very quickly and to the point it wore down the battery some. Once started it runs like a champ, but is smoky at first. I always squeeze the bulb before I try to start and push in the key when turned on and hold it in for a minute. The bulb seems to need re-squeezing with every start. My first question is....is this normal?

Today was a nice weekday so I went out to run some fuel through and sat on the ramp and took about 5 minutes to get it started. Got it started and pulled it over to the courtesy dock, tied up and shut the engine off. When I returned from parking that thing would not start. I must have killed 45 minutes looking and scratching and trying to figure out what it could be. I did not smell fuel, yet it seemed flooded. Another boater offering sympathy said it seemed fuel starved. Actually I think I flooded it. Trailered it home and put the battery charger on it and the darned thing started up after a few cranks. I have been running Startron in the fuel and this particular tank of fuel came from a boat dock that says no ethanol. Having read your posts though I've gone and bought the large can of Seafoam which I had intended to use today with additional fuel. So Bob, I'm soon to take the boat in for winterizing and wanted to have them also check the sluggish starting issue out. I'd like to communicate well with them so I am asking you .....what should I look for and what info should I pass to the service department and should I ask them to look into anything in particular?

Sorry for the bathroom reading Bob. I just know I've seen so many older engines fire up so easily, and this one used to, that I am wondering if I have an issue that I need to deal with early in the engine's life.

Please help me wise one!

No problem Richard. First things first. Fuel, and quality thereof. With your Opti-Max engine, it is paramount that the battery voltage is up to snuff and "hot", and by that I mean fully charged, 1000CA, and fresh. Between the PCM, injectors, fuel pumps, trim, etc, the demands are great, and the motor requires VOLTAGE. Be sure you have the right battery, and all connections tight with nuts {not wingnuts!}. Second, I would replace the primer bulb and hose. It SOUNDS as though the check valve inside the primer bulb may not be seating fully and allowing fuel to drain back into the tank. If this check valve is not operating properly, even with repeated pumps it may not be filling your VST, and may be just allowing the fuel to go back-and-forth within the line. Third, check the anti-siphon valve on the boat tank itself. If it's there, the ball may be stuck open, again allowing fuel to drain back into the tank from the motor...especially if the primer bulb is marginal or faulty. Fourth, the VST itself, and the low-pressure pump. Eliminate the first two before going here, as the Dealer will have to put it on the computer and gauges for a scan. Let me know how you make out and if you need any help..;)

Thanks Bob!

The battery WAS freshly charged before I cranked so much. I had planned on replacing the interstate 1000 CA battery next spring as this one still tests normal, but doesn't seem to last long. No wingnuts here! The dealer put them in the bag of junk they gave me when I took posession. I will check into the entire fuel line tomorrow or next day. How often should I expect to have to use the primer bulb when all is working well? Should I need to squeeze it the next day after having the boat out all day and then head back out in the morning?

I think I see a service manual in my future because I have no idea where the VST is and for now will leave that to the dealer.

I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but these days I hesitate to touch things that aren't obvious because of specialty tools and computers.

You're the best Bob B.

The primer bulb will need to be primed before EVERY start-up. Not just once in the am, not in the beginning of the week, but EVERY time. Run out to your fav fishing hole, stay about 1/2 hour, PRIME IT, run to another stop...repeat. Blame "E-10".....:blink: You're welcome!!

BTW...in good tune...that motor should turn over about three times and then light off. ;)

One other mention...you do not have to push the key switch in, it does nothing. Prime, crank, start.....that's it.;)

Good to know about the bulb and the bloody switch. I coulda sworn somewhere I read to push the thing in. Yes I thought it should fire right up as you say in about three times, but it hasn't been, especially after being off a few hours. Whatever the problem is, I think it's minor. I will look into the bulb, fuel line and anti siphon valve and anything else I'll leave to someone hopefully trained to deal with it. The further I dig, the more frustrated I get and somewhere down the line a hammer shows up in the picture which is never good ;)

Ok Bob, I got back out on the lake and so far I haven't changed a thing. I did get a mix bottle to easier measure sea foam and added more in the tank. Engine started fine on the ramp so I left it running on the courtesy dock while I parked this time. (paranoid) I ran it about 1 1/2 hours at varying speeds and also stopped periodically and shut her down. Seems to start up fine and at the end the primer bulb was not hard, but wasn't soft either. Darn thing seemed to run like a champ. When I was tying it back down on the trailer I did notice a good bit of carbon inside the propeller. Could it be I was not running enough additive and the extra sea foam dosage help clean it out? I'm still planning to replace the interstate battery that came with the boat. Despite it being 1000 CA it just doesn't seem to have that. So far though I'm a happy camper again.

Could be attributable to the fuel. Let me know if anything changes.....;)

Latest posts

Back