Water in Oil Question(s)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B. Hallock

Reaction score
Ok you tech guys...here's one for ya.

Had the girlfriend pick me up 4 gallons of optimax DFI oil from the most local dealer a month ago. Still had a gallon and full res. so been a while since I bought it to now I need it. Well, this week the oil tank was about half so I figure I'll top it off. Grab a jug and start pouring. About 1/4 way I see the oil color change so I immediately stop pouring. The rest of the oil looks like it has water in it, white color in the jug, almost looks white and grainy. I check the little clear window and all the four jugs have a white layer in them.

So, I call the dealer and tell them and they say they will replace the oil and what I have in the tank that may have been contaminated wheh I added the bad oil. GREAT there, no worries! Oh this is a 150 optimax, FYI.

Any one ever had this issue? Any recommendations to make sure all H2O in tank is cleared? Should I call Merc and document this. Kind of sucks, I run the expensive DFI oil for warranty and still have the potential for engine damage. Any thoughts about a small amount of water getting into the motor if some gets in system?

My plan is to drain the res, check and drain the res under the cowl, and get all new oil...thankfully at the dealers expense. Anything else any of you might recommend.

Thanks in advance for an tech tips.

BH - sounds like the dealer is doing the right thing by covering all the bases. So long as he's draining all the oil reservoirs and lines up to the engine and replacing with fresh (non contaminated!) DFI, you should be good to go. Not sure there is much more that can be done. Since you didn't run the engine at all with the contaminated stuff, more likely than not, it never got to the reserve tank under the cowel from the remote tank, let alone into the engine lines or engine.

Best of luck.

I would guess that the dealer fills his own jugs from a 55 gal drum in the shop (or BEHIND the shop!!) and somehow water or condensation got in the drum. Bummer but they are doing all they can to make it right.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back