When in fall to fish G'ville?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Guys - OK Eli and I are HOOKED (pun intended!!), he wants to go back and try to find the big fish that broke his braid on Sun AM on Guntersville.

I told him it would have to be fall, so i realize weather/storms... will dictate but as quick as places book up on G'ville, want to book ahead.

So any suggestions of approx times to get a good fall bite? Oct? Nov? Will the fish move up shallow feeding before winter like they do on Allatoona/Lanier/Carters? Assume all the grass will still be there, so do you fish the outsides of grass, flats and mats in the fall?

Once i pick a weekend and can get a place, i'll post up and see if we can do a NTOWS get together, everyone will be invited!!

Trep

I still want to fish the Ville. Let me know what weekend you choose and I will see if I can make it. The women have scheduled a tournament there next year. Would be nice to get a sneak peek. I assume since you did fine my 18' Triton with a 115hp will be fine on that lake?

Teri - Yup the 700lx did just fine, now like any lake when saturday afternoon there were 2-3 wakeboard boats going in opposite directions I came off plane and rode the waves and then back up on top!

I have learned to REALLY watch the channel markers and other boats, Sun as we were heading back out of Mud Creek, a few older guys in a stratos waved us down to tell us they hit something on the south side of the mouth as they came in, took 1 ear off their prop! So while I don't carry Neeley's list, I do now carry a spare prop/hub and wrench on every trip! haven't done that myself (tore up prop) but just in case.

I think the 1 thing I might keep an eye out for on sale/ebay is a stainless prop for the Tmotor, a few times we drifted into the weeds (just under the surface and didn't notice it till we were way into them) and the standard MG 3 blade prop doesn't 'cut it'!! LOL

But a MinnKota will get you in and out of those weeds :) Sorry...lol

Actually know alot of people that run a modified MinnKota prop on MotorGuides in Florida on the Big O.

Teri - Your boat will be just fine on the Big G. You'll see 10-12' jon boats fishing and motoring in with the rest of the boats. It's more river than wide open lake, so, as you're fond of saying, you can DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!! :lol:;):D

Trep - If you don't keep a small hook file in your boat already, your dilemma is another reason why you should. Before you drop your boat in the lake, take 5 minutes to run that hand file/hook hone down the edge of each TM blade lightly, like sharpening a pocket knife. It'll eat weeds for lunch until you find some wood or gravel, then you'll want to do it again. (It's a kind relief to your TM breakers also!) I do that with both plastic and aluminum TM props and it's worked from Okeechobee to Lac Seul, leaving Quisinart pieces of weeds in it's wake. You can also epoxy a small tip of an old sharp serrated steak knife to the hub of the motor, just a hair into the prop hub to lift and cut stems building up. That's more usefull if you're battling weeds on a constant basis. ;)

Trep - Dang near forgot your original question! I'll bet if you survey a hundred locals on that lake, they'll tell you fishing gets great about time deer season kicks in. (mid Oct,-mid Nov.) That makes a tough choice for a bunch of fellas!! :rolleyes:

My nephew is slaying them every day at Scottsboro. Lots of 3-5 pounders. Just about any time of the year works there.

Teri you still hung up on size??? I heard that it didn't matter(engine size):lol:

fatrap

Teri, I've been out on G-ville in a 15 footer with a 40, and had no problems. Been a while but I caught a lot of bass with not much local knowledge.

Latest posts

Back