What reels do you use

• Thread starter Gilbert Scales2
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbert Scales2

Reaction score
Thinking about trying something new for awhile. I have benn using the old curado's , just don't care for the new ones. Hoping to get comments on the ones you have used, and like.

Bubby:)

I use the JLM reels and even the Pro-Qualifier from Bass Pro. Defects are few and returning them is easy if need be. I have some that are 7 years old and still going strong. Can't beat them for the price.

TOXIC

Spinning reels hands down are Pflueger Predidents (12)and baitcasters are my old Curados SFs (6)until they screwed them up with a cheap version.

(4) Johnny Morris SS (silver) baitcasters, (1) Curado Bantam baitcaster, (5) Pflueger Presidents spinning reels, various sizes, (1) Johnny Morris SS Spinning reel.

I use all JLM reels too,..with a few PQ's and Browning's thrown in.....both Btcstrs and Spng. Bubby,...you might want to try the Nitro Btcstr reels from BPS too.....the heavy slop and super toad Lgmth that you probably fish for would be ideal for those reels. They're built for that,.....extra Hvy duty gears and wide spools for heavy line! You can jerk a rear axle off of a Hummer with those reels!!:blink:;)

Mac

Old Green Curados and older Citica 200D's, do the job for me. I have one Quantum I won in a tournament, not too bad.

I use almost 100% shimano. most of my baitcasters are curado's both the old sf model and the new d model(which i love). they have all been super durable. All of my spinning reels are stradics and that are all at least a decade old and still work like new.

My non Shimano reels are one Diawa TD sol. I really like that reel a lot, its nice.

I also bought two of the Johnny morris gold reels last year on the reel trade in sale. They do work well and are nice and smooth but both of them developed an issue where the bail would not fully re-engage after a cast about 50% of the time. The pinion gear was binding up internally and no amount of lube on earth would keep it from sticking. I eneded up bringing them both back over the winter and got new ones and hopefully these ones are better. Otherwise im pretty happy with the reels, if the new ones do the same thing i dont think ill be so happy with them anymore. Im reserving judgment until i put a season on these ones.

JLM Spinning and a couple extremes spinning, Rick Clunns Jlm silver and gold and pro qualifiers baitcasters. I really like the Bass Pro brand reels. I got some clunns that are 6 years old and still going strong. I havent had the JLM and Pro Qualifers but one year now and so far so good.

I have gone to almost all Curados and Saros. I do like the Revo S.

I use Abu Garcia's, baitcasters are Revo STX and Premiers and spinning are Soron STX and Revo Premier.

Pflueger spinning (Supreme) and Abu Garcia Revo STX baitcasters. Still have 4 Pflueger Patriarchs, bit will probably swap them out for 4 Revo STX's soon.

All the best,

Glenn

Used Shimano reels (pearl Chronarchs & green Curados) for a long time, then used BPS brands (JLM's & PQ's) for quite a while and now I'm back with Shimano reels in my boats. Both brands were great and functional, I just prefer the all metal internal componants, tighter tolerances, and durability of the Shimano reels I use currently. (Fresh and Salt) I usually fish with Calais 100's & 200's and Castaics for the braided applications to save a little weight on the broomsticks they're perched on. For spinning, I like the Stradic CI's and Mg's for their light weight and Stellas for their strength with the heavy stuff. Any more just about every name brand manufacturer has a great model line or three, so the preferences are falling purely in "the eye of the beholder" these days. :D

Buddy, I don't think you will be disappointed. It's one of my favorite reels. I almost went to them exclusively this year to save some money but had more Curados already. You can catch them online on sale at Walmart for $108. I printed that and took it to BPS and they matched it. It does not have magnetic braking if thats important to you. I can say how it holds up year after year but so far so good. Some of my reels I liked at first, like Browning, and then they dont work as well 2 years later. Good choice I think!

I have stuck with the XPS pro qualifiers, even use a few of the green bass pro extreme's.

Pflueger spinning and BPS Pro Qualifier baitcasters. All have served me well.

Latest posts

Back