Rod and Tackle locker lock bar with NO BOAT MODS NEEDED

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaine30102

Reaction score
Just wanted to share a DIY I used to make a strong bow bar to secure all three hatches on my Nitro. I keep my boat on a lift in the water and wanted something more secure then the include locks on the front lockers. Those are fine while traveling around and parked for short periods of time, but the keys are easy to get and the locks themselves can be picked easily. I considered the loc-r-bar but 2 reasons I didnt go with it: 1) had to drill holes int the gunnels 2) the amount of flex in the pole might allow it to be pried out or the mounts pulled out using a crow bar.

What I came up with (I'm sure many of you have done something similar or better, but here is my design)
Material:
2" x 1.25" x 0.17" x 0.26" Aluminum Channel 6061-T6-Extruded Aluminum 96" $62
0.125" x 1" Stainless Rectangle Bar 304/304L. 24". $14
4 Stainless carriage bolts with nylon lock nuts. about $10
Tool Dip. $11
Good Lock standard length had several $0 Totals cost minus lock $97

Originaly i just cut the tabs out of the aluminum, but it had to much flex so I added the Stainless steal bars on the ends. I simply bolted them on with the carriage bolts and put the nuts inside the channel so they cant be removed when the bar is in place. It still has a little flex but I don't think it can be pried out. The lock hasp is difficult access with bolt cutters and it would take some time to cut thru the channel. Of course anything can be broken into but it would take some pre thought not just a criminal with a crow bar. The Chanel leaves a small gap so you can store some rods on the deck as well.
The photos are before I used the tool dip and just have electrical tape to protect the boat.

If anyone would like more details hit me up and I can send you the exact dimensions or any other info. This is set up for my 2023 Nitro Z19, but should work for any Nitro or any boat with similar cleat placement.

Attachments

• IMG_1698.jpg
    IMG_1698.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1699.jpg
    IMG_1699.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
Just wanted to share a DIY I used to make a strong bow bar to secure all three hatches on my Nitro. I keep my boat on a lift in the water and wanted something more secure then the include locks on the front lockers. Those are fine while traveling around and parked for short periods of time, but the keys are easy to get and the locks themselves can be picked easily. I considered the loc-r-bar but 2 reasons I didnt go with it: 1) had to drill holes int the gunnels 2) the amount of flex in the pole might allow it to be pried out or the mounts pulled out using a crow bar.

What I came up with (I'm sure many of you have done something similar or better, but here is my design)
Material:
2" x 1.25" x 0.17" x 0.26" Aluminum Channel 6061-T6-Extruded Aluminum 96" $62
0.125" x 1" Stainless Rectangle Bar 304/304L. 24". $14
4 Stainless carriage bolts with nylon lock nuts. about $10
Tool Dip. $11
Good Lock standard length had several $0 Totals cost minus lock $97

Originaly i just cut the tabs out of the aluminum, but it had to much flex so I added the Stainless steal bars on the ends. I simply bolted them on with the carriage bolts and put the nuts inside the channel so they cant be removed when the bar is in place. It still has a little flex but I don't think it can be pried out. The lock hasp is difficult access with bolt cutters and it would take some time to cut thru the channel. Of course anything can be broken into but it would take some pre thought not just a criminal with a crow bar. The Chanel leaves a small gap so you can store some rods on the deck as well.
The photos are before I used the tool dip and just have electrical tape to protect the boat.

If anyone would like more details hit me up and I can send you the exact dimensions or any other info. This is set up for my 2023 Nitro Z19, but should work for any Nitro or any boat with similar cleat placement.
That looks really nice! I have a nitro 180fs an would love more details on these?

Nice work. I plan on buying a custom one when I get mine, a brand KVD uses, I wrote it down somewhere, but that’s a good job.

Talking Anti-theft, do you guys use anything on your trailer hitches for when you’re spending nights out of town with it on your trucks? I pass through some places where I worry at night while im in a hotel or whatever. Usually I only stay ar places with ground floor parking in front of my room, but even then, it usually has to be in a corner so my rig isn’t blocking everything

Nice work. I plan on buying a custom one when I get mine, a brand KVD uses, I wrote it down somewhere, but that’s a good job.

Talking Anti-theft, do you guys use anything on your trailer hitches for when you’re spending nights out of town with it on your trucks? I pass through some places where I worry at night while im in a hotel or whatever. Usually I only stay ar places with ground floor parking in front of my room, but even then, it usually has to be in a corner so my rig isn’t blocking everything
You may try a motion activated alarm. Or a cellular game camera that will automatically send you notifications.

Latest posts

Back