Ultra-Lite Reel ?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staci Matheis

Reaction score
OK..... Many of you know that my first love is trout fishing in streams..... For more years than I can count, I have exclusively used Shimano's 500 size reels in the TX and similar series. This past weekend, since I enjoy my Spirex reels in the 1000 and 2000 sizes so much, I went to buy a Spirex 500. Until I held it and played with it a bit..... For all I could tell, it was simply the old TX-series with an aluminum body instead of composite. Didn't feel one bit smoother or better balanced. Not even the more instantaneous anti-reverse I had hoped for. Just almost twice the price. I was so disappointed.....

I'm still going to buy another reel.....

Do any of you have experience with the:

Shimano Sedona SE500FA

Quantum Xtralite XL00SS

Daiwa Spinmatic Z Ultralight SMZ500T

Items of importance to me in this size reel are: Compact size and light weight; Bail reliability and action; Smoothness in the drag (front); Smoothness and balance in the cranking mechanism; Instantaneous anti-reverse; Line guide mechanism.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!

me!

It's nice to see another person that fishes for trout in streams... I've been doing that all week here in PA. Instead of using ultra-light spinning equipment, I use lightweight fly rods. Now another inappropriate thing for fly fishermen, I USE LIVE BAIT WITH A FLY ROD. I have had the the best success using the smallest minnows that I can find, usually flatheads. Today, I caught, and this is no fish story, forty trout using minnows. On top of that, all were release uninjured. So, while I can't help you out with the Shimanos, I can refer you to a guy that has lightweight graphite fly rod/reel combos for less than $60...

the sedona is one of the best balanced reels i have ever cranked,for the money, try one at the store. crank the handle and let go and you won't feel any wobble at all. i've felt more wobble in reels that cost more. and the bail flips with very little effort. thanks stan.

Hello Scott!

Long time no hear from! Anyway, I got a Shimano recently, but don't remember the model, that I use with my ultralight rod. It is soooo smooth, I love it. Since I'm at work, I can't run out and look for you, but when I get home in the morning, I'll find out and e-mail you!

Barb

Brian -

Oh, but I do use a fly rod as well! 5-Weight, 8-foot. I forget the exact blank, but I bought the kit from Cabela's maybe 15 years ago. I've owned many fly rods over the years, but I keep going back to this one! I tie wooley worms on size 14 or 18 hooks and float them.

I most often fish the uppermost stretches of the Current River here in Missouri. About 4 years ago, it became "artificials only". Before that, I had some great days using minnows, sculpins and crawdads that I'd trap on the way down the stream!

Stan -

I should-had-oughta have tried the Sedona while I was at the store..... But my dreams were so shattered at not being at all satisfied with the little Spirex that I left with my head hanging!

Hey, Barb!

Well, Girl..... You just grab that Ultralite and head the nose of your car down here to St. Louis for a weekend and we'll put it to work on trout! Leave the boat at home - we'll use my canoe!

Rich -

I don't think I've ever looked at that reel..... I'll have to! We NEVER have enough toys.....

me!

Latest posts

Back