spinning reels

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Yeaton

Reaction score
Hey guys

Looking for opinions on replacing some reels. I had 2 shimanos break (minor) on me over the last couple weeks and looking to replace them. The models were both Spirex, on rear drag, one front. I've used the Quickfire II system forever and Shimano is eliminating this on most of the reels. I'll also add that one reels in for light stuff on a St. Croix 6' L rod, looking at a 1000 series something, the other will be a 2000/2500 series. I've also had issues with line twist as well using Power Pro 10lb test line.

I'm looking at the Stradic for the 2500 series replacement, but was wondering about Daiwa reels as well.

Will also be replacing 2 of my Curados (201's) if anyone is interested :D

Bruce,

I am pretty partial to Quantum PTi (and energy) spining reels myself they work well for me and last.

Buddy at work likes the same spinning reels as you do, though with the quickfire stuff on them.

Carlos

I use Pflueger President spinning reels, and I really like them. However, if you are going between Daiwa and Shimano as your choices, I'd take the Daiwa any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. Their spinning reels are top rate.

All the best,

Glenn

I use the Daiwa Regals and am very happy with them. They aren't very expensive and I have beat mine to death without failure.

Bill

Bruce, what do you want for the curado's? What shape are they in?

Thanks

Bubby

I have the Pflueger President and Quantum Phazer. Both fine reels and certainly better than the K-Mart specials I used to get until fairly recently. Also, not to step on bubby's place in line, but I'd also be interested in your Curados (even if they are left hand models!).

JC

Bruce, I don't know why the Quickfire system never caught on. I was totally hooked on it

and now its about inpossible to find a good reel that has it. When I put down a Quickfire reel and pick up a diffferent one it seems like its a lot more of an effort to cast without it.

If you find a good replacement let me know.

Does anyone know why the Quickfire type spinning reels just didn't become popular?

Pflueger, Quantums, Diawas and Shimanos... they've all stepped up to the plate both in quality and pricing.

The Pflueger President is a hard reel to beat for the dollar.

Thanks to Carlos... I checked out the Quantum PTi series... another excellent reel.

THe Shimano Sahara is a workhorse of it's own... and the new Diawa Sol and Fuego have brought new high quality reel into play.

If you're willing to spend the $$ for a Stradic... I'd look at either the Quantum PTi (Energy or Catalyst)... I personally think they beat the Stradic hands down... Titanium bail, Magnetic Bail thingy and Direct drive on the handle... 8/10 bearings so it's smooth. Id get the 10 for the light stuff and the 20 for the heavier. I have a number of these, and have been very impressed with them so far.

I've played with the new Diawa Sol.. and I'll probably buy one soon.. The Drag system on it is similar to the Stella, and it looks rock solid... very smooth handling and good design.

I've got a couple of Spare Sahara 1500s... if ya want to swap for one/both of the 201s... or something... let me know.

Wow, a mixed bag. I guess I should spend some time going to the store and handling each one. I love the Quickfire II ease, but if Shimano is doing away with these I need to re-teach myself to use a reel without it ;)

Thanks guys

Jim and bubby - sent you an email

Mike L.

Daiwa makes a reel with a similar setup. It's called Crossfire (auto-cast)

Here's my take....

There's a reason that the QuickFire System didn't take hold over the years....

The first is there is no instant anti-reverse on any of the QF systems.

The second is how many bearings that the QF'ers have.

I like the idea of just hammmering alot of casts in a short time with that system like for small cranks and getting in alot of casts with a worm when your drifting down a bank and timing is limited.

BUT, on the other hand with no antireverse...hookests and the possibility of losing fish increases. Bearings are another issue.....they add stability and strength but, also add weight and weight is a HUGE determining factor when I buy a spinning reel. I do not own a spinner that's more than 10 oz. Some of my Shimano's are 8 oz. or less:)

The 1000's are great lil' reels and will surprise most on handling capabilities with as short as a 5' Ultralight rod...as long as it's a good rod. I do ONLY use good 4 or 6' lb test line and front drag only because of the difference in size of the drag disc's. I have also noticed that the rear drag styles have a tendency to stick (which agrrevates the #$%^ outta' me).

I've used an FLW 5' UL with BPS (Wally Marshall) Crappie line in 4 lb. test in flourescent green for the last two years and have caught everything from 5 lb. walleyes to 5+ LM.......

see the rod and bobber;)

LooksFishy.jpg

Tee

The Spirex reels have 5 bearings and no roller bearing, this is only 1 bearing short of the Stradic and no roller(could be added?).

I use my spinning reels strictly for plastics (5 setups), so the Quickfire II is perfect for constant casts like you said.

I did look at Shimanos page this morning, they have upgraded the Spirex this year on the rear drag models and added the slow oscillation for better line lay (front drag models don't have this). They have also changed to ARB bearings and the gear ratio is now 6:1.

I'm still going to look at other models and buy one to test it out :D

I don't own any Spirex's anymore because of that lil' weenie double paddle handle that ain't worth two dead flies IMHO:p

I have two Sahara's..one Stradic, two Sedona's and I'm not sure what model the 1000 is but, I don't think it was more than $40.

I'm also adding a 6'6" medium light rod this year and another good 1000.

Both my Curado lefties have served me well for over 6 years now...close to 7:)

And here I love that double paddle handle, all of my reels have it. I'm still using Sidestabs from when I started fishing. For $29 I got my $$$ worth plus some ;)

Alot of the spinning reels, especially among a single brand/size range, should allow you to swap that handle around.

JLM reels are known for "Gitner-Done!!":cool:

FallFish05-1.jpg

mootsmallies.jpg

WELL worth the money!! IMHO!!

Carry on,

Mac

"Johnny Morris"....BPS's top of the line reels...They are available in both Spinning and baitcasting.....JLM is his initials.;) (Shimano quality at BPS prices!!)

Latest posts

Back