New lures for 2010

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
OK, I don't know if this has been covered lately, as I've been too enticed with hunting this fall to even look at my boat. My season is coming to an end, so it's time to revert to fishing preps.

What's hot this year that you have heard about, seen, or now own?

I've got an order going in soon for some line, reels and rods. I'm going to match up some of the new Abu Garcia Vendetta rods to my Revo's. I'll grab a few other models of my 08/09 favorites - the All Star ASR's. I've been meaning to replace some of my TAS rods with the ASR series. I'm also going to pick up a new Pflueger Patriarch XT to see if there is much noticable difference between it and the regular Patriarch. I like the metallic blue color - reminds me of the Johnny Morris reels.

So, what are you looking forward to (rods, reels, lures, line) in 2010?

All the best,

Glenn

You know, I have been so busy here at work that I have not stayed in touch with my sponsors to see what is "New & Improved" this year. Normally every year SPRO tries to tweak something and they have an EXCELLENT record of making some top notch baits for example the Little John MD and the Popping Frog. I wouldn't be surprised if this tough economy year that "most" do minor upgrades, new color choices, etc. I have one sponsor who is a rep for a LOT of companies and he has sent me information on some manufactures that I know very little about and have not had the time to read up on them. No earth shattering news out of the Yamamoto folks, BPS just kepps on keepin on, CastAway has a new line of rods and has them in a camo pattern but they do very little marketing so most all of their news is word of mouth. I guess I am going to have to put my ear to the wall. Good post Glenn, it's got me thinkin!!:lol:

TOXIC

I'm still waiting for the ultimate shallow diving crankbait made out of plastique. A 4' diver with an enticing wobble, but without the aid of treble hooks in catching the fish.

"New from Claymore...The C4 (not to be confused with CIII :eek: ). After using it, you'll agree fishing is a BLAST!!!" :lol: On the back of the lure can be painted, "This side towards fish." :lol::lol::D

OOPS - just noticed this was supposed to be about lures....sorry for the hijack. - OOPS

As stated in another thread I am pretty excited about the new rod and reel offerings from Bass Pro.

New Johnny Morris spinning, lef thanded reels in the Gold and ProQ, a new RCX reel and the new Extreme, Crankin Sticks and CarbonLite rods!

:)

Mini,

Feel free to post whatever man. If we get off topic, it normally gets interesting anyway. :lol: New rods, reels, line, lures, boats, etc.... It's all good.

All the best,

Glenn

I noticied on one of your other posts that you were making some changes to your boat. What are they?

tornado,

I've been constantly making changes.

Towards the end of the season this year, I started running a Mercury Fury prop instead of my TRO-4. Great running prop. I then had my TRO-4 worked a bit, having PVS holes installed so that I can use standard PVS plugs from Mercury in it.

I added the Minn Kota Fortrex 101 and changed my battery system to 36 volt this year. Removed 2 of the Trojan 225's and went with a 3 battery Trojan 200 setup. Had to (unfortunately) change my cranking battery to a Optima. Still not happy about that. Added a single bank Guest charger for my cranking battery, and now use the 3 bank Guest for my trolling motor batteries only.

This past month's changes:

Added a all metal "Transducer Shield and Saver" to my trolling motor, fully encasing the Lowrance transducer on there. It's like having a built-in transducer, but I get better signal with the Lowrance transducers, vice the Universal Sonar. That is why I ordered my Fortrex without the US2 option. I wanted to use a Lowrance product on there. This little mount allows me to have the best of both worlds.

2" PVC caps. They come in handy for all kinds of stuff. I mounted two of the flat bottom style caps to a small wood board. My two bottles of "stank" get put in these, so they don't fall over while I'm running, and any mess is contained in the PVC cap. The large jar of Smelly Jelly fits perfectly. Almost like it was made for it. The bottle of Kick N' Bass bounces around a bit in it, but it stays in there.

Anti-Fatigue mats. I've used them before, but I wanted some new ones. I picked up a few black ones on sale from Lowes the other day. I cut out a piece of the middle section and it slips right up around my trolling motor recess. Helps to alleviate pain when I stand and cast all day.

New LED lights for the insides of my compartments. Haven't installed them yet. Been too busy. Might get to it this weekend, if I don't have the boat out on the water.

By early part of this coming year:

Lowrance HDS8 with Structure Scan installed.

All the best,

Glenn

Dan...

You brought a big smile to my face... "On the back of the lure can be painted, "This side towards fish."

My first thought at seeing a Claymore was... "well duh"! Then I started thinking about some of my acquaintances from Boot Camp... I then wondered why it was not fluorescent paint and illuminated!!!

What did you use to inclose the transducer on the trolling motor? I've been looking for something for a while. My buddy has one that protects the transducer but I haven't been able to find it.

tornado,

Here you go:

http://www.transducershieldandsaver.com/home/

All the best,

Glenn

I am looking forward to, and I know this is a big departure from the thread, but if I sell my boat I hope to help the economy by getting a new one or at least a newer one...

Thanks Glenn. Will be ordering as soon as I'll be here to receive it. Heading to Italy for the Christmas holidays. Before you ask Italy, Tx.

Some of them Lucky Craft real skin lures. Don't tell my wife but Santa says he's got me one of them Humminbird 798ci combo sonar/gps units. ;)

For once I don't think I am looking at any new lures for next year. I am still searching for a fluorocarbon line I am happy with for throwing spinnerbaits, chatterbaits and rattle traps.

HP

HP,

I gave up on finding fluoro that I like for that kind of stuff. I'm doing something I said I'd never do - over 75% of my reels are spooled with braid. Spiderwire UltraCast Invisibraid in 30lb test. At first, I was putting a shot of fluoro leader on it. After breaking off quite a few times at Falcon, Amistad and Choke Canyon, I went to straight Invisibraid. No noticable change in frequency of strikes, and the stuff is tough.

Like I said - never thought I'd see the day. I previously used braid (and was absolutely sure that Power Pro was the best stuff out there - and yes... I still like PowerPro) only on my frog rods, and sometimes stuff like a spoon over grass or a heavy worm when punching through mats. I.E. - only when I was in thick, heavy vegetation. Now I use it almost everywhere.

I was also 100% convinced that fish could see this "Invisable" line - as I can see it plain as day going into the gin-clear water in some spots. It looks bright white to me. However, I've also witnessed fish slamming my lure in that gin-clear water, so I can only guess that fish either see it differently than I do, or don't see it at all.

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back