My new Pflueger Supreme spinning reels arrived!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
I've been waiting on these little gems for a while now, and they finally arrived today. Well worth the wait, and just in time too! (First tournament is this weekend). They are extremely smooth spinning reels, and the perfect balance for my new spinning rods.

I also got my new All Star ASR series rods a few weeks ago. Sssssswwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttt!!! :cool:

If you haven't seen the latest offerings from All Star, please go on their site, or log onto Cabelas site (Unfortunately BPS doesn't sell them) and do a search for All Star ASR. Very nice rods with high quality components. I'm pumped up about fishing with them this weekend. I recently broke-in the worm rod across the street from my house, and was very impressed with the sensitivity and action.

Toys! I love grown up toys! :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn - If the Supremes are half a good as the Presidents you will love them. I know the Presidents are down the line from the "Supremes" but I have nine of them and find them to be one of the best out there. Enjoy them! Thanks KB for hookin' me up with Pflueger!

Bill,

I liked the Presidents also. Great reels. Working over at BPS for the shows, we sold more Presidents than any other reel in the spinning section of the reel counter. For less than $60, they are very hard to beat.

Enjoy! Its been like Xmas at my house too. Got some more rods last night. Some baits, line and reels a few weeks ago along with a few rods....

Waiting on my SPRO/Gammie order and my Tru-Tungsten/Picasso order. :)

Now all I have to do is get teh boat ready. Still not fired up about cutting a HUGE hole in my deck for the trolling motor recess, but it has to be done!

Then its trailer time....$$$$$$

Yes so I can stop holding yours hostage :)

I didnt find any trebel hooks in there. Did you delete them off yours?

There's a few trebles in there I thought..........keep diggin!!! I also have a small box of misc. chit that goes in there also...Kathy found it right after you left. I didn't include the packing list in that big box either.......looked at it lasnite and there's a few B/O'd items on it....maybe it's those!!

Hi Glenn,

It was nice talking to you at BPS the other day. I too use the presidens exclusivly. I love those reels (6 of them). For the money you cant go wrong. I also have the baitcasters 1 supreme, 1 summit, and 3 presidents. I have not been disapointed.

Mark

Mini,

I'd like to get a SPRO / Tru-Tungsten order myself!

All the best,

Glenn

Still not fired up about cutting a HUGE hole in my deck for the trolling motor recess, but it has to be done!

Yea, i can hear ya on that. Im pretty daring when it comes to projects and i dont think i could ever do that one. It has that whole non reversable if i mess it up thing going on there.:eek:

Mark,

It's always a pleasure to talk to everyone I meet up with at those shows. Glad to see you.

For my baitcasters, I have a mix of Patriarchs (my new favorite), Summits (used to be my favorite until the Patriarch came out this year - but still on the very top of my list), Asaros (another very sweet new addition to the lineup), Supremes and Presidents. I have one Trion left in my lineup too - it's one of my cranking reels.

I've used Trion's, Presidents, Medalists, and now Supremes in Pfluegers spinning lineup.

I've really enjoyed every piece of equipment from them. Pflueger has come a long way in a very short amount of time (since they started making bass fishing equipment again), and I'm more impressed with them every year.

All the best,

Glenn

Hey Glenn,

What model supreme did you get? The XT or the plain Supreme and why? The XT retails for $130.00 and the other for $100.00.. Both pretty steep but what's the difference between the two?

Bill in Va., I know you say "the Presidents are down the line from the "Supremes" but have you actually compared them? And what model number President's do you use? I don't want to use thread for line but don't want to use rope either and those reels weight jumps up pretty fast. For spinning I rarely if ever use anything over 8# test and the President that holds at least 100 yds. of 8# weighs in over 9oz's. And, can that handle knob be replaced relatively easily? I hate those wooden, football shaped handles!

I would much rather buy a $60.00 to $65.00 reel like the Presidents if they are close to the Supremes at all. My spinning reels are starting to show a little age (ok, let me have it) and I want to replace some of them. As I like my spinning gear to be matched up, I'll have to buy at least three of something probably.

Thanks for any insight Y'all,

Uncle Billy

Uncle Billy,

I got the regular Supreme's. I wouldn't really consider $100 or $130 "steep" in comparison to other companies top-of-the-line spinning reels. $130 is Pfluegers highest priced spinning reel for the Supreme XT, and for that price you get a 10 bearing system (9 stainless ball bearings plus a one way clutch bearing), a magnesium body and rotor (ultra light weight), Titanium line roller, a double anodized (and a spare aluminum) spool, and one of the fastest gear ratios I've ever seen on a spinning reel - 6.2:1! I got the 8030 size in the regular Supreme, as it holds 140 yards of 8 lb test in a lightweight 7.4 oz package.

Compared with my Presidents - I would have to use the 6735 size (145 yards of 8lb test) for the same amount of line. That reel weighs 11.2 oz - a difference of 3.8 oz.

Comparitively, the price for Pfluegers two top of the line reels ($100 and $130) isn't really that high at all. Here are some price comparison's for some of the major reel companies top of the line reels. I put more prices for Daiwa and Shimano due to their larger lineup of offerings. All are great reels. I'm just pointing out that $100 and $130 for a magnesium framed reel of this quality is not really that high at all.

Daiwa's Steez = $500

Daiwa's Cetate = $350

Daiwa's Fuego = $250

Diawa's Sol = $200

Shimano's Stella = $600

Shimano's Sustain = $250

Shimano's Stradic MgFB = $230

Shimano's Stradic FI = $160

Quantum's Tour Edition PTi-A = $240

Quantum's Energy PTi-A = $150

Browning's Midas = $150

Browning's Citori = $100

The only reason I got the regular Supreme's over the XT's is availability. The XT's have been a little difficult to get hands-on lately. The demand is there (for both regular and XT). The supply is catching up to the demand, but just caught up quicker on the regular Supreme side. I'm very happy with my choice with the regular Supreme's.

The difference in the two (the extra $30) comes from:

1) Evenly applied, heat resistant carbon washer with a wide range tension adjustability.

2) Large stainless steel bail wire (larger than the regular one)

3) Corrosion resistant bearings in key locations (For even greater corrosion resistance than the premium stainless bearings in the regular Supreme).

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn,

Any ideas on why they dont offer all thier reels in a left hand crank? I was looking at the Asaro at BPS as it was on sale and looks very similar in size and weight to the Diawa Sol i was looking to buy. But no left crank :(, if they had a lefty i would have bought it. I like the looks of the summit too but again the handle only comes on the wrong side ;)

I have a sol now and i was looking to add another one to my collection. I didnt get the sol either since BPS in Foxboro doesnt stock them so it looks like i get one next time i head north to Northern Bass.

Hey Unk - 6730's are the ones I love. I have one 6735 and it just a hair too big for my taste. I spool 10 lb mono and it seems to work just fine.

Jim,

I've never been told this, so there is no confirmation, but my observations of Pfluegers business practices regarding their product has kept to some fairly steady trends.

The first reels they made when they came back out with bass equipment were the Trion series, in both round and low profile. The round series were first offered in 46, 56, and 66 sizes. They now have a left hand version of the 66 size. The LP model of the Trion expanded to a left handed offering, as well as a cranking version (4.8:1, which changed to 5.2:1), and a narrow spool version. In recent years, a saltwater version of the LP Trion also became available.

The President low profile reel was quickly followed by a wide spool version and a left handed version.

The Supreme was introduced and followed up with a left handed version as well.

The Purist came out with a right and left handed version available.

Following these trends over the years (new offerings, followed by expanded models), I fully expected to see a left handed version of the Summit offered this year. The reel is available in two versions - wide and regular spool. However, no left handed version yet. I can only surmise that their must be a reason they didn't make it in left handed versions yet, although I cannot determine why, as I think it is one of the most awesome reels I've ever used.

Knowing the Patriarch, Asaro, and Cetina were new this year, I didn't expect to see left handed versions yet, and I was right. However, I think the new offerings are covering a wide range for the consumer right now, even though I would agree that left handed versions would be a big plus.

The Patriarch is Pfluegers flagship offering. My first cast with this reel was a huge "Wow!" I actually was amazed at how far it cast, and how smooth it did so. That is not an exaggeration. I have never used a reel that casts as far, and as smooth as the new Patriarch. It simply is an amazing piece of equipment.

The Asaro seems to me to be a high quality, but less expensive variation of the Summit offering, with a nice bright paint job that has been said by many customers to mimic that of the Daiwa Sol offering. I can't deny that it does look very similar, especially in the color department. I don't know if that was intentional, but I can say that if it was, it is definitely working as planned - because it is one hot reel this year. At $120 retail for this 8 bearing offering, it is very enticing to customers, considering the Daiwa Sol they compare it to has 7 bearings and sells for $230. Again, that is not in any way saying the Sol is not a fantastic piece of fishing equipment, because I know it is. I'm simply pointing out selling standpoints from customers comments and points of view. Past the comparison of color and basic design, the two reels are actually quite different - particularly in the realm of backlash control. I've sold a bunch of Asaro's working shows so far. The other day at BPS Hampton, we sold every one of the wide spool models, and were down to 3 regular spools when I left Sunday evening. The main difference between it and the Summit is that it has centrifugal backlash control only, instead of the dual centrifugal / magnetic system (UBS - Ultimate Braking System) of the Summit.

The Cetina is Pflueger's value packaged reel for those looking for something with a high bearing count and the high speed gear ratio of 7.1:1. It has a graphite frame vice aluminum, and centrifugal backlash control only. At only $90 retail, this reel fills a gap in the market. I've sold quite a few of these at shows also.

I've received plenty of requests for left handed reels - and not only from lefties. I'm seeing a larger trend towards right handed users buying left handed reels lately. It was a concept that tried to catch on years ago, and didn't really gain momentum, but it seems to be revived with a veneganc

Hey Glenn

I didn't mean to imply those reels weren't worth the money because I believe in every way they are. It's just that for me, in comparison to what I've owned, I think they're pretty high. I refused to buy any Shimano Stradic's because they were too high for me, not that they weren't worth it. The most I ever paid for a spinning reel was around $60.00. I had four Penn 722's that cost even less than that but that's been so long ago I've forgotten what I paid. They broke a lot of bail springs but the design was so simple I could change one in about a minute. I have one of those left believe it or not. They had, I think, a 5:2:1 gear ratio and would hold 20# test if you wanted to so I always had to put a backing on the spools. After those and a fishing hiatus for a couple of years I bought four matching Daiwa Regals at one of the Spring Fest's at B.P.O.. I still have and use them though you really can't use anything over 6# line. Two of them have broken bail springs though they're guaranteed not to break but Daiwa has basically told me, "oh well" and I don't feel like ordering them and then putting them in. I'll just never buy another Daiwa of any kind. I have mixed in a couple of Cardinals that ended up being nice reels.

It seems there was just a misunderstanding here between worth, value and 'cheapness':rolleyes: I brought up that I thought the President was heavy.

You said you bought the regular Supreme's because the XT's were hard to find. What's the difference between the two, Glenn?

I guess if I'm going to replace any of my spinning reels, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and spend some money. It seems like the same one you decided on looks good for me too. There are a lot of good attributes but my favorite is the lite weight without having to sacrifice #-test line.

Uncle Billy

ps: of course you could always take me fishing and lend me one of your Supreme's.:lol:

Uncle Billy,

I actually understood what you were saying :cool: ... I just didn't want anyone that didn't know the actual cost seeing that and thinking they were more expensive than they actually are... therefore my reply. :p :lol:

Cut and pasted from above:

The difference in the two (the extra $30) comes from:

1) Evenly applied, heat resistant carbon washer with a wide range tension adjustability.

2) Large stainless steel bail wire (larger than the regular one)

3) Corrosion resistant bearings in key locations (For even greater corrosion resistance than the premium stainless bearings in the regular Supreme).

All the best,

Glenn

Thanks for the info Glenn.

Im actually one of those right handed/ left crank guys. I always have been. I grew up fishing spinning gear and the only option i had as a kid was my dads mitchell 300 reels the he ma grandfather bought him back in the 60's( My dad still has those reels and still uses them). It was either left crank or nothing, i got so used to it that a right handed crank reel and holding the rod in my left feels very akward to me.

I envy you TEE. I've tried over and over to use left handed reels. I can't even get the hang of using a spinning reel with the handle on the left. I immediately switch all my handles on my spinning gear to the right hand side. I don't know if it's mental, or physical muscle memory, but I just can't seem to get the hang of it.

All the best,

Glenn

It does take practice:D

I got tired of reels that I really wanted that were rightys.

I do use leftys more for crankin' spinners and cranks but, use my rightys for P&F and Carolina.

It will feel really wierd at first but, it's like I tell everybody that's new to it...it will for a little bit but, before you know it..it'll be second nature.

Practice, practice, practice;)

It also seems it's easier for RH people to switch to LH but, not the other way around...go figure.

Cool Mac. I did find some dressed trebles and some of the new magic eye trebles...we will have to hook up and geet this order split up. Maybe this weekend at your house?

Works for me,.....slide over after we leave the store Saturday and I'll throw some elk on the grill...I looked in that other box Kathy found too, and it's got a bunch of BIG snap swivels in it,..probably for the BBZ swimbaits.....:cool::p

I have been looking for those too...I need em for casting for muskie :)

I will prob sleep downstairs Sat night if thats ok....it will cost me $30 to drive home. I will buy the Jack!

OK Mac and Mini... if you're gonna jump on the post and talk about elk and Jack (more elk than JD for me please)... you need to start inviting some of us up for a visit! :p:lol::lol::lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Anybody who wants to come over and sleep with Mini is more than welcome.....I'm snugglin' up next to the wife!!:rolleyes::wub:

Aint nobody on this board sleepin with me unless it's Teri! lol

And in that case its entirely up to her :)

Latest posts

Back