Thanks and ....."The wreck of the 901" (long)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Gross

Reaction score
First I want to thank all of you who took the time to e-mail me get-wells.

Know to explain exactly what happened and were I've been the last several month's for those of you who have asked.

In Oct.I took to the river with a party who showed interest in buying my 901.I put in on the Saint Croix river.I took it out first to let her warm and run her through the paces.With everything being a 100% I turned it over to the person.

We had spoke earlier and he had spent a lot of time on the river with his rig though it was smaller than the 901.

It was an absolutly beautiful day at 70* Fall was in the air water temp. 60* I sat back in the passengers seat as he brought it up on plain I was just about to say something about a small fish&sky who's wake we were about to cross but then I figured it shouldn't be a problem....

That was the last ,very last thing I remember seeing for two weeks.The last thing that I remember hearing was the EMT'S talking about the best way to extract me from the bout and were to land the helicopter.

I should mention at this point that I have no memory of anything and I mean anything from that point on for about two weeks. The rest is all based on witness accounts.

Witness account of two good men in a RANGER who were very close buy at the time of the accident had this to say; My boat was traveling at approx.55mpg (rivers max limit)under estimated buy 10 or so miles probably.We came off a large swell from a cuiser that had passed earlier.The boat was 4to6 ft.in the air and the driver was higher then that when he came out of the boat! The boat then hit the water and knifed the next wave and made a very hard left.

The guys in the RANGER told the sheriff they cut their lines before the boat even hit the water the first time because they seen what was coming. Within 40 sec.they pulled the driver out of the water and headed to my boat to check me out .They said as soon as they saw me they called 911 I was unconsious,bleeding and wedged in position upside down between the steering wheel and shifter.The motor was leaking hydraulic fluid and was trimmed all the way down.It busted up some of the interior trim with some hair line cracks were I hit.They got me back to the dock were the EMT'S were already waiting.I should say at this point that the other party was bruised a bit and wet but refussed treatment.

I guess it was the sheriff who called the house here and got my son Mike.He was home for two weeks and in his 2nd week at the time. Mike got a friend to drive him down to the ramps and took charge of the boat and truck.I was already gone. Mike ended up getting an extra weeks leave.

My wife didn't find were they took me for about 3 hours and tells me she'll never forget the look of relief on my face as she entered the door of my room in the ER .She said she was wondering why they hadn't washed the dried blood from my forehead and neck.Though I have no memory of it she said I ask her to get me a wet washcloth,and I washed myself .

The final toll was 8 broken ribs all on the right ,broken left jaw,traic,concussion with head injuries,broken teeth,dislocated shoulder with torn ligiments on the right, muscle and nerve damage on right,surgery on my lung twice through the back on right. I lost three liters of blood from the lung puncture,all together they put 7 holes in me and around 80 staples.Damaged the nerves in my right hand badly luckily I'm left handed hahaha..

I spent 30 days in the hospital mostly in the ICU then REHAB.I had the jaw wired for 12 weeks.I spend atleast 3to4 days a week in rehab.OT,PT and regular appt.with 6 of my doctors all together.I take no less than 12 pills 3 times a day.My short memory is not what it should be, and at times I trip, become disoriented not to mention sleeping have the day........ hey!! I think I might be cured.HAHAHA

All in all I might make spring spawn !!

Mark<sc

Mark,

We'll be saving a few beddin-bettys for you to pitch at!!! I'm glad you came through OK, and best wishes with your recovery.

--Casey

Your attitude after all that is fantastic my friend - God bless your fortune, things certainly could have been worse!

It is clear your spirit has recovered with the rest of you!

David

Gross, glad to hear you are doing better. I must have missed this when it happened. I hope your recovery comes along well.

Keeping with your good attitude...did they buy the boat? LOL

Good God Mark! You didn't do it half-way did you? I'm so glad to hear you're alive after reading what happened.

Take it easy and get ALL the way better will ya? Someone was watching out for you my friend.

Bill

Good to see you back, Mark!

"The wreck of the 901"..... Hm-m-m-m-m.....

Do you think Gordon Lightfoot is still around?

He could use it as a sequel to "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" and "Canadian Railrod Trilogy"!

Here's to seeing LOTS more of you in the coming weeks!

God Bless!

me!

Welcome back Mark. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Bob G.

Glad your back Mark...Get well soon...JR

Man that is one scary thought! Glad to hear you are doing better! This is a good lesson for all, I know i will think twice about hitting wakes at speed!Good luck with the rest of your recovery

Mark,

Glad to hear you're still with us. Take care of yourself and if you have problems sleeping, email Bill. The two of you can share doctor stories.

Barb

Mike l.

I was never normal to begin with! All we can hope for is that I get back to being the same....No matter how much that might really disturb some people!!

I hope they signed a you break it you buy agreeement. I'm talking about you. LOL.

Serious. Make you appreciate how quick any of us can leave can get taken.

Good luck on your recovery.

Fatrap

WOW what a scare!!!

Glad to hear you are doing OK.

Keep your spirits up,that's the best medicine.

Steve

Fatrap,

Good point ! In a blink of the eye. Now you see it now you don't!

Mark

Glad you are OK!!! Hope to see you on the water soon!!!

Holy busted 901's Batman! Really glad you are on the road to recovery!

Rich D

Glad your going to find and back on board. Makes you think about riding with some one you don't know. Ken

All I can say is .....sobering....You never think this can happen to anyone you know, let alone yourself. Get well Mark and let us know if there is anything we can do.

TOXIC

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. Unreal.

If there is nything I can do....

Mini

Now wait a minute... That's not even close to what I heard...

The "story" as I heard it involved a gang of west coast bikers... A pool game... Somebody's "ol' lady"... and enough beer to float the 901...

Anyway, as I heard it... the entire gang of bikers were arguing "tin" was better than glass... Well, "Gross" (ever the brave fool...willing to let his mouth write a check that his buttinski couldn't cash) offered to settle the whole affair with a pool game... The Bikers, wanting to be fair... found an ol' lady ( rumored to be a myopic 90 yr old former librairian ) walking the street and she agreed to represent "tin", the bikers and the local honor in this pool game against "Gross Glass"...

Now, this is where the details get fuzzy, but as I say, this is what I was told... The pool game progressed... Glass was losing and when he tried to cheat... His opponent, the retired, 90 yr old librarian took offense... She attacked Gross Glass and well I'll let Gross finish the story, since...

This is where the story I heard and the one Glass Gross tells come together on some facts... Glass Gross ends up in the ICU all bloody... tin is delared the winner and the librarian continued on her walk down to the grocery....

The bikers had a few more beers...

(GROSS... you didn't really think that all that "warm and fuzzy" BS was gonna last... Surely you had to know you would be made the butt of a joke or two...)))

Man what a ride, Glad your on the mend. Living your life now becuase there may not be a later does make since. I tried last week to tell Lori (my X) that last week about some papers I need her to sign. It could be a boat, car, walk around the block, if it's your turn your gone. You just don't know what fate has in store for us.

BF

P.S I like the biker story better..

Mark,

What a ride! Glad to hear you doing better. Keep up the good spirits!

Jeff

Glad to hear your alright, a long recovery ahead of you yet but sounds like your in pretty good spirits. God Bless

Mark - Holy COW Batman!! That is a VERY Sobering story. My wife said "that's what happens when you get testosterone in a boat".

I am thankful that you are alive and those Ranger guys saw the accident and helped out, they are probably the reason you are alive today!

So, what happened to the guy who was driving? have you talked to him? Has he come by to explain his side of the story and tell you his deepest appology???

Maybe I don't need that 50mph boat next time.

Trep

Mark,

I hope your recovery goes well, sounds like your past the the worst part. Glad your back.

Chris

Mark, that's a scary story. I am glad you are still here to tell us.

Speedy recovery to you!

holy smokes what a bad dream, i hope the recovery goes well. stay positive, glad to hear you are on the mend.

GregD

scary, glad to hear you're recovering well.

I know there are times I would like to have a seat belt in my boat.

Mark,

Glad that things are getting better man!!

Hang in there and if you need anything all you have to do is ask!!

Carlos

Thanks Carlos, I know I can take that to the bank .Also Greg Meyer, even though he gave away the real story behind my little run-in.hahaha We'll all be fishing together in the future of that I'm sure.

Mark

Mark, I was with Greg until about 2:30 yesterday..... I sware that he was stone cold sober when he left me and had mentioned nothing of dreaming up that version of your story!

Here is to a speedy recovery Mark. You will be fishin' in no time.

Donnie

So, did the guy buy the boat? Okay, did he at least apologize? Glad to hear you got put back together. Best wishes on a speedier recovery.

Latest posts

Back