Tackle box or bag?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in VA

Reaction score
So after many years of using a tackle box (including when fishing from canoes vs the mighty tracker!), I'm finally trying a tackle bag for the first time as my main storage. This was precipitated by the snap tabs breaking off of my Plano box. Not wanting this to happen again, I looked at BPS for a suitable replacement. Didn't like any of the boxes, so I thought I'd try a bag. Figured it would be more durable and easier to tote around. I'll still be able to tote around a bunch of organizer boxes and the top of the bag has a big open area for a spinnerbait box and assorted junk like bobbers, extra line spools, weights, etc. The side pockets for scents is nice too. With the transfer of my gear from my broken box to the new bag I got to thinking - what do others use and why?

I use the Yellow BPS Boat bag or Marine Bag? Middle size, tough as nails and great for fitting Planos in there

I use a Nitro 591 :rolleyes:...

When I fish on someone elses boat I use a big Browing tackle bag from BPS. I did have a BPS bag but the zipper blew out so they took it back and I got the Browning. I really don't like any of them.

I have four tackle boxes. One is a pretty big old Plano that has a lot of space in the top and then five nice sized drawers and it fits nicely out of the way in one spot of my PT-17. Two are ancient BPS yellow boxes only about three inches deep. Having two I glued them back to back and would keep worms in one side and crank bates on the other. Now I just use both for worms. Three is a really nice spinnerbait box but I can't think of the maker. Four is real nice double sided box that I keep crank baits it. They all fit in out of the way places on my boat.

I think we talked about this last week or so. Because though the fit in my boat nice I wouldn't want to take them on someone elses boat. Earlier this spring I though about a tackle bag and bought one of those Okeefenokee (sp) bags. As I mentioned though, I can hardly lift it empty so I know filled will be out of the question. Soooooo, I saw a deal on-line and for $12.00 bought a Shimano bag that's about a third as big as the other one.

That's the one I'm going to try when I fish with someone else, like December on the hot side. And then next spring and summer when I ask for all of the "I'll take you fishing" promises.:rolleyes: Now, the fourteen or fifteen rods, that's another story.:)

Uncle Billy

Jim - I got rid of all my hard-shell tackle boxes. If I go someplace without my boat I want to be able to pick and choose what I want to take by either using my 3600 or 3700 Plano boxes. It makes it a whole lot easier to just pack a few boxes than it is to have a hard box that may not have what I want (or need). I have a couple of each (3600 / 3700) so it I can make them up the night before and be ready to go.

Personally, I think the softsides are tooooooooo expensive for what you get so look for sales. Go with a medium size as a larger one gets too heavy and takes up too much space on someone elses boat and gets in the way.

But let's not talk about how may rods to take on someone else's boat! LOL

I use a camo tackle bag I bought from BPS. I use the clear plasic tackle boxs. Some are desgined for crankbaits. Some for worms etc. Then it's a modular approach. If I fish in someone else's boat I just load the bag with the modules I need.

fatrap

I have a freebie Marinco bag I got from the KY rally a few years back. It fits the large storage compartment on my buddies Ranger perfect.

Donnie

I found that the soft sided tackle bags with plano boxes are the only way to go .. hands down!

I use a BPS model that holds Plano 360 boxes (I believe). I have a second smaller one that I sometimes carry. Only soft sided for me now.

However, in my boat I carry some extra spinnerbaits and buzz baits in two of the newer 'special' plastic carriers.

Tex

I use a tackle bag with boxes also. This way I an leave behind certain tackle I don't need on certain types of fishing trips.

My son uses the BPS Yellow Bag that CJL uses. They are roomy and keep the camera dry!

But let's not talk about how may rods to take on someone else's boat! LOL

:lol::lol: Nah Bill, believe it or not the most I usually EVER carry is four. As for the

smaller soft tackle bags, MY big problem will be as to what I should take and what I should leave at home. I can see me right now staying up all night taking a few crankbaits out of inventory and then putting them back for different ones, etc, etc...:(

<big sigh> I guess I'll just have to learn and get tougher.:eek:

Uncle Billy

P.s. Besides, as the get together is in December, I promised Bruce I'd bring the wood stove and wood. There isn't a lot of room for anything else.

i am like some others, i have a tackle boat.. when fishing with someone

else, i use a brown paper bag....

;)

Put me in the tackle boat group. I use a Bass Pro KVD bag for 4 or 5 360 sized boxes, a spinner bait box, and terminal tackle in the various pockets. I also have a stand alone 370 box for my limited selection of jigs and a second one for my panfish/trout stuff. Soft plastics are left in their original bag and those are placed in one gallon freezer bags divided by style of bait. The few times I fish someone elses boat I take a few rods and throw the baits I need for the day along with rain gear in the KVD bag.

Uncle Billy,

You should put the crack pipe down!!!

Bob G.

Another tackle boater here. I almost dread going fishing on another boat. The unrelenting fear of not bringing the one thing that I would have had in my boat drives me crazy! I use mostly plano boxes so I can shove a few in a soft bag for outings. Another thing that works well if you have the room in your boat is to store your soft plastics in Rubbermaid shoe boxes. They last forever in their original bags and it is easy to leaf through them. (Kind of like looking through a Rolodex or index card box)

Never thought I would be a hard bag guy but the new Flipsider by Plano is one good bag. Ive got the one that has the built in crank/jerk bait holder in the front (plastic compartments) and room inside for 4 plano boxes and a spinnerbait box. It makes me take what I really need and it fits in any compartment or under the console. Good bag. I also have the big softside that holds like 12-14 plano 3700's....waaaaaaay too much for a co-angler bag. I use it for long trips, like Michigan and re-stock out of it.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back