Wintertime prep - fishing Federation this year

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Well, my local bass club met on Saturday to choose which lakes and which months to fish them for the year. One I wanted never made muster, but we are fishing 'some' different lakes this year.

Also, confirmed through conversations with another member, that we will 'sign up together' for the federation tourneys (6) this spring (through early summer). Having agreed to do that, it was now time to prepare.

Recently, I watched the International competition on ESPN and was fascinated that the pro's were limited to one medium sized plastic tackle box/tray. Our federation tourney rules state that the co-angler is limited to either one large bag, or two smaller bags - plus a maximum of 6 rods. So off we went to BPS on Saturday afternoon to fill the bill.

I had looked at several of the bags that BPS offers, and pretty much settled on the larger 370 Presidents series kit bag ($59.99), but wanted to see it first hand. Picked one up, and spent quite a bit of yesterday afternoon sorting and filling the bag. Now that I've done that (still need to do the soft plastics and get a spinnerbait box), I'm very happy with the outcome.

The five boxes (Plano 370's) give me plenty of space. Organized them into Topwater, Crankbaits, Rapalla's, Rattle-Traps, Stick/jerk baits. Then dropped a three small plano boxes in the upper left that handles weights/hooks/terminal tackle; jigs and another for small trailers and misc.

The back allows me to put 10-12 of my large worm bag sleeves in for soft plastics, along with more small pockets for speciality items. Still have the two side pockets for scent, tools, misc. extras, etc.

All in all, I think that it will more than satisy the bill, and also make me a little bit more prepared and organized.

Next step, organizing and outfitting the proper rod/reel selection for my first tourney, the 2nd weekend in February.

Tex

Isn't it great to be the non-boater. I downed sized everything into one bag also. It forces you to stick with the basics and will make you a much better fisherman. Even since I've gotten my own boat I find now I really stick to basics and concentrate more on presentation and location.

Enjoy the year, you'll have fun.

Now that I'm 'culling' - so to speak, it seems that I'm far more organized. I'm also finding myself planning my time on the water better.

Tex

Latest posts

Back