"New" Tow Vehicle - '00 Dodge??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewey Leggett

Reaction score
I have beeen towing my 896 the last couple of years with a 1995 Grand Cherokee. I am looking at getting a 2000 Dodge Ram 4X4 with the 5.2 V8. Basically the same engine as my Cherokee, but with 10 extra HP over the last 5 years. Anybody tow with this vehicle?? How do you like it?? I'm getting a real good deal, but I want to make sure it pulls well.

Can't offer anything about the Ram, but the 5.2 V8 is one of the most reliable motors ever made. It's history is often over-shadowed by the more famous 350 Chevy, the 302 Ford, and some others. But, that old 318 is a good 'un.

My last tow vehicle was a 1999 Dodge Ram 4x4 Quad Cab Long Bed but I had the 5.9L V8. Like Rich said, the 5.2L/318cid is a proven motor. Make sure it has the factory tow package. If it didn't, I wouldn't buy it. The package gets you the big battery, alternator, radiator and transmision cooler. Plus the factory class IV hitch, harness and the connection under the dash for an electric brake controller for campers. I think the flasher unit is beefier for extra taillights too. Also, if you do purchase it, I would recommend getting the tranny fluid/filter replaced and do it every 12k miles. It might be a little overkill, but I read about too many Chrysler trannies failing. They might not have been maintained either. I had mine done every 12k until I traded it at 48k miles and never had a problem. Good luck.

Bob G.

My next truck will likely be the Durango with the 318; I currently tow my Nitro2000DC with a Jeep Cherokee 4.0L. I don't think you could find a better power unit unless you were to go diesel.

me!

Oops, sorry, Dewey..... I got caught up in the 318 comments and forgot that you already knew all about the engine!

I know a number of contractors who tow using the 4x4 RAM and they wouldn't trade it for anything! Several also have the diesel powered 3/4 or 1 tons for towing larger stuff like bobcats. Hard to beat the performance of the RAM.

me!

Should be a great tow vehicle for you. Check out the front end well. A local repair shop tells me he is getting a lot of them in with trouble there. No zerk fittings. Good luck..

Should be a great tow vehicle for you. Check out the front end well. A local repair shop tells me he is getting a lot of them in with trouble there. No zerk fittings. Good luck..

I too agree with all the comments about the relaibility of the 318... Has everybody heasrd the news from Dodge about 2003 2500/3500...new engine a 5.7l ---HEMI--- 345hp 375fp of torque...all I can say is WOW!

Hate to break it to you Scott, but it is my understanding that the 318 is no longer in production, or was it the 360? Anyway Dewey, it was a kick butt engine, and you will be fine. It is by far the flagship engine for Chrysler motors! Low end torque, it puts out more than the 360.

I had a 98' Ram 1500 extended cab 4x4 w/ the 360 and towing package. Loved that truck! Just couldn't afford the gas for it! 10-12 mpg around town 14 max on the highway. Pulled my old 18'5 bowrider like a mule though. Also, I agree with Bob G. about the tranny- keep the fluid changed because they are trouble prone after they have about 50K on them.

You could well be right, Rob..... Jeep started using a 4.7L V-8 a few years ago instead of the 318..... Last year they droppped the 4.0 I-6 for a V-6..... What could this world be coming to.....

Did I see someone say Durango....Please do yourself a favor and look elswhere. I just dumped my durango. The 318 pingged very heavy when towing, ball joints went at 12000, rear went at 50000, traded at 55000. The truck did have plenty of power, but it was just a problem child. Did I mention that 12 mpg was the best it ever got while no boat was attached!!!

Dewey - My wife had a 1996 Dodge Ram Club Cab 2X4, she had the 5.9l engine. Had it 2 years with no problems. Only problems came for a terrible dealer who left things disconnected! She LOVED that truck, hated to trade it when she got pregnant with our first son.

Jared -

It does sound like you had a problem child..... All the mechanical components of the Durango are tried and true.....

While it will be some time before I look for another tow vehicle, the 12 mpg while not towing would concern me. I had thought that it would be more in the 15 city / 18 highway range.

Anyone else out there have any real-life experiences with the Durango / 318?

me?

I have a '99 Dakota 4x4 with the 5.2. 62000 miles not one problem. I tow a 185 Sport 300-400 miles a month. I get 11-13 mpg when towing at 55-60 mph. Mileage drops rapidly if you have a heavy foot (and I DO). My understanding is that they no longer offer that motor. It has been replaced by the more efficient 4.something.

Bob -

If after 5 years, you only have 38,000 miles on that truck..... You're NEVER going to have to worry about buying another!

me!

That Cummins is a very well built motor; it should be good for 350,000 to 500,000.

I just went back and read your original post - I sure did misread that thing! Old age must be gettin' to me, Bob!

Since 1994 I have now had 4 Dodge Rams, and have not had any problems towing or major mechanical issues. The 94 & 97 did not have the factory tow package, but I did add on a tranny cooler on both and towed a 3000 camper with both up and down the East coast many times without any problems.

The 5.2 V8 will get you better gas mileage over the 5.9 V8. My 94 had the 5.2 V8, 4X2 LWB and a 35 gallon gas tank and it was getting 18mpg highway. 15mpg with the camper. The 97 was a 5.9 V8 4X4 club cab LWB 35 gallon gas tank and got 15mpg highway and 13mpg with a camper 14mpg with the boat. The 99 is a 4X4 Quad Cab 5.9 V8 SWB with a 25 gallon tank and I am getting 14 mpg highway and 13mpg with the boat. The 2002 is a Quad Cab 4X4 SWB 5.9 V8 with a 25 gallon gas tank and with 3500 miles on the odometer it is now getting 14mpg highway. We have not towed the boat with it yet and I doubt we will, the 99 can do all of the needed towing.

With any vehicle manufacture there are lemons out there but I can say that I am happy with all of my Rams and since 94 can say that with each generation change of the Ram they keep getting better. Good luck!

Cass

Latest posts

Back