New Truck

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Hodge2

Reaction score
Ok so earlier this year we bought a 189 sport and I drive a 2000 Dodge Dakota with a V6. This has been a great little truck, but doesn't have the umph to get safely up the hills of middle Tennessee and I'm afraid I'm gonna kill the truck with this boat so we've started looking at new trucks. We've looked at Chevy, GMC, Ford and Nissan. I've researched and seen all of the problems with each, most of which seem to be minor and have been far enough through 2011 to have been resolved. I don't have brand loyalty and don't wanna start the typical manufacturer war here lol. I have heard that manufacturers have a huge surplus of trucks. Anybody else hear that? They all had a big end of year push this last week and I've seen very few trucks move locally. Most of the current incentives end 9/9. Do any of you think the incentives will be any better come October? The economy is in such a mess it seems it might be a good time for pricing.

Also other than towing packages are there any features you guys think I should look for?

I doubt it very much,.....you might be able to get a little more from the dealership,..but the current offerings are from corporate, so they're probably maxed-out! You can however, work with your dealership on things like trade-in value,...some of the "fee's" etc....those things are dealer add-ons, and ammo for "sealing the deal".

When I was looking at used tow trucks recently, I specifically went on a Sat. to drive a:

F350

Ram 3500

Silverado 3500

I drove a 2008 model Silverado Diesel that I simply loved. Drove the best; nice features and really a nice truck. Just too much more than I really wanted to spend. I bought a 2002 F350, and like what I got.

Assuming from your post that you really want a new one.

Best of luck in your pursuit. It took me about 3 weeks of looking, to settle on what I wanted. Since the 'newer' year models traditionally come out in late September (but of course not like they used to 30 years ago), I would think you could cut a good deal for a 2011 fairly soon. Mac can comment on the 'new model year' timing far better than I can.

If you are at all interested in a used truck, browse the inventory at 'North Texas Truck Stop' - link below. They sell virtually nothing but used trucks.

Tex
http://www.arlingtonimports.com/

I'm 99.9% certain that all of the incentives out now are for 2011 models on the lot's,..they want them gone to make room for the 2012's that will be arriving very shortly, if not already!! There's no better time to buy a 2011 than NOW!! I can also get you a "friends and family" discount certificate that will get you another "few hundred" off.......between the $6500 and the F&F discount...you'll be looking at WELL OVER $7,000 off the sticker. :blink: Like Lee Iaccoca use to say,..."If you can find a better deal...TAKE IT!!" (All I need from you is your Date of Birth, Email addy,..and zipcode. I will email the authorization to you. I just sent one to Greg Meyer's daughter last week,....she's buying a Cruze.;)

I'm just towing a boat so I'm thinking the 3500 is overkill. I'm looking at the 1500. I'm also looking at late model used. Found a 2009 with 11k on it and spotless for 25k, but the new ones with all the incentives seem to come down to that ball park in price.

Mac are you a GM employee? Not even sure which brand I'll end up with

Yesterday I drove through my local Chevy lot in the blowing rain and felt sorry for the very young salesman they sent up the hill after me with his wimpy umbrella. I was just re-checking their inventory....he got half way up the hill and I had turned around and his face showed what a tough day he was having. It rained so much here this weekend no way was I going to do all that trade talk.

One Kansas Chevy (Romans Motors www.romansgm.com) dealership about two weeks ago advertised 2011 Chevy Extended Cab 4X4's with the 5.3, leather, auto start, very well equipped for $29000 and change after all the incentives. Don't know if sale is still going on or not.

Richard,.....yes,..I am a GM employee. I work at the Engineering Tech Center in Warren, MI. I am having a buddy send you the Friends and Family discount cert. for me. I didn't realize we are only allowed to send one per month, and I just sent one last week to Greg Meyer's daughter,...so I can't send out anymore for another 2-3 weeks. Regardless, my buddy over the cube wall, hasn't used his yet, so he's going to get the auth. number and email it to you. I wanted to make sure you get one NOW, while the year end sales are going on!! ;)

Just print it out and take it to your dealer of choice if you choose a GM vehicle. If you decide to go with a Ford, or Chrysler or any other brand,....no worries, and no problem for me. Just glad I am able to help! Have fun shopping!!

Mac

Got it Mac! Thank you so very much. Ya gotta love those cube buddies! And thanks to him as well. I see by Don's credentials he has something to do with the Corvette. We toured the Bowling Green plant once and it just makes ya want a vette. What a sweet car that is, but that will always be something I look at and admire. It's just not practical enough for me. I sure can't see me towing a boat with it:lol:

I am very interested in the GM's because all I've read indicate they have the smoothest ride and at my age I'm all about comfort. All that I've looked at is at least assembled in the U.S.. We have a large Nissan plant here and a closed down GM plant down the road. Even though Nissan is Japanese, the workers are not and they are a major employer here. GM has said they would reopen this plant here if the demand picks up. When the economy went south it was sad to watch as they closed down that plant. Many of them moved to MI to work so at least they got jobs, but they had purchased homes here and established roots.

Predictions indicate we'll most likely hit a second recession, if not a depression so let's all hope for the best. A scary time to buy boats and trucks, yet here I go delving in head first lol.

You're most welcome! Glad you got it,...and yes,..the Springhill plant is on "stand-by" incase future demand gets to the point where it can be reopened. That would be a GREAT thing! I just hope the UAW does NOT decide to strike at Ford,..the country and the auto industry does not need that!! With national unemployment hovering @ 9%,...we do NOT need a group of people with GOOD JOBS saying,.."WE WANT MORE!!" :blink:

Oh I wasn't aware that Ford workers were thinking of a strike. I could go on for days about unions so I won't. Interestingly enough the Nissan plant here continues to be non-union. Every year they vote on it and from what I hear it gets quite heated over the issue, yet they are still non-union. The economy has definately taken it's toll on the boating industry. We had a plant here that's long been closed down for I think Stratos. I have to travel to even find a boat dealer. We used to have a few, but economics and city code have run them off. Definitely not a good time for any strike in any industry. I just hope I don't pick a truck that was assembled during a time when they were talking strike or on Friday after lunch:unsure:

The "S" word has been thrown around the Ford/UAW camp all summer and it's only because they CANNOT strike at GM or Chrysler, because of the "no strike clause" in the TARP loans. Ford did not take the loans,...and they have made GREAT progress in their sales and profits, over the past 3 years so the UAW wants some of that cheese. Most of it, I believe is just typical UAW negotiation BS,...just letting the powers that be on both sides know that the "S" option is available if they don't get a fair shake....I think the mgt at Ford will do the right thing and avoid a strike. Now,..it's more about "job security" vs. pay and bennies. A tough nut to crack when the market is so volitale...I'm glad I'm not on the negotiation team...that's a BRUTAL assignment!! :wacko:

Also...no worries about the old adage of "Friday after lunch vehicles"...or "Monday after Holiday's, etc"....there are so many new quality checks and balances in place in EVERYBODY'S manufacturing plant's now days that those problem's are virtually non-existent anymore. You're good to go my friend!! ;)

Isn't Ford's eco boost just a supercharger? I see the incentives have been moved to 10/31/11.

They all build a good truck. This is a Mary Ann vs Ginger, Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy, Cubs vs Cardinals kind of thing. Anybody with any sense at all already knows that, Mary Ann drives her Dodge to the Cardinal games.;)

Latest posts

Back