Tow Vehicle Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I thought I would ask the valued opinion of my fellow NTOWS....haven't asked anything about this in awhile so the Peanut Gallery can remain silent!

I am going to be towing my Zipper Worm Company/KFC wrapped boat quite far this year and to alot more lakes than in the past when fishing as a co-angler. My boat is currently a 2007 Ranger 188vs so about 19' with a total weight of around 3000-3250 lbs.

I have owned a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 Hemi the last year (yes I made it a year). This Jeep has every option available except a DVD player. I picked it up cheap as a trade at the local Mercedes dealer.

My question is will my Jeep be a sufficient tow vehicle for logging lots of miles and long distances. I know it will pull the boat just fine. I will be well under the tow capacity of 7500lbs (I think). But I want to make sure it's a safe tow vehicle - wheelbase, brakes, etc. I bought my boat in North Carolina and towed it back to Nashville with the Jeep. It did fine except for the mountains. I had to slow way down or it would get alittle squirrely. I have glanced at used Tahoe's or trucks but with what I want in them they are pricey. Don't really want a truck but I did like my Avalanche that I sold when I got laid off. Wish I had it now!

To get a used, late model (2007+) Tahoe loaded up is about $26 to 28k with 60000 miles. I just think thats alot.

Anyway, just looking for some opinions. Thanks!

It's a lot because they last!!! Their resale value is way up because people who need tow vehicles are finding the new ones VERY expensive because they're not building as many, and that supply/demand thing has caused the used market to surge and the new vehicles expensive!!....60,000 miles is not a lot of miles on a full size SUV when lot's of owners get 200,000 or more miles on them!! Keep the fluids changed regularly and keep up on regular maintenance and it'll pay off in the long run. You think they're high now?? Wait'll the tree huggers in DC force the EPA to raise CAFE standards even higher. "USED" tow vehicles will cost as much as your typical starter home and the big 3 will probably stop building new ones altogether once gas hit's $5.00/gal and sales fall to zero!!!!:blink::angry:

Shop around,.....you can get a GOOD used Tahoe or Avalanche for 20-25K if you find a desperate seller.

I only asked this question because at tournaments, I do not see alot of people towing with a Jeep GC, Ford Explorer, Pathfinder, etc. I see mostly full size trucks and SUV's. I just want to be safe on the road and make sure my tow vehicle is going to last. I know you all laugh but honestly I can't afford to trade cars like I used to. Making alot less and have alot more financial commitments than I used to.

I don't mind 50-60k miles on a car if it's going to last. I have one year left to pay off the Jeep so I could start over but I want to get something I can pay off in 2 years and still have a long way to go before I have to buy another one.

I know none of them get decent gas mileage but my Jeep will avg 18mpg if I stay under 80 (not towing). I know my Avalanche got that. Just dont want to go down in mpg cuz gas is going up and up again.

I think you should keep it. You have plenty of pulling and horsepower, V8 with a hemi. It's one of the top rated off road SUVs which means it's well built. I agree with MAC, just keep up on the regular maintenance.

Good Luck!

Ok, I'm gonna throw a little of my opinion in here.....A Jeep GC is not a "Tow Vehicle". Will it tow? Yes. Is it a "Tow Vehicle" No. That is why you don't see the 4-runners, Explorers, Jeeps, etc., at the ramps except for the folks that only tow occasionaly. Why? You answered your own question:

"It did fine except for the mountains. I had to slow way down or it would get a little squirrely"

That's because it's not a tow vehicle, its a vehicle that can tow. Wear and tear on the tranny, motor, u-joints, springs/shocks/suspension, brakes and a lot of other equipment is going to be greater than what it would be on a tow vehicle. Not to mention your safety towing. I didn't want a 3/4 ton truck either but I can tell you it is a "tow vehicle"!! HD everything and nothing "squirrly" about it. Ask Mini how it did pulling that triple axle trailer last year. I am at the other end of the spectrum though, you need to be in the middle. That's where the Taho's and 1/2 ton towers are. Don't forget, you are going to load the back of the Jeep up with gear, bait, spare equipment and cases of toilet paper as well!! To be safe, I would look at a used Tow Vehicle.

TOXIC

Teri I will not side with Tox on this one. A Jeep GC is a tow vehicle, just not to the caliber of 3/4 ton obvioulsy! It wasn't designed for that type of towing but more recreational and shorter jaunts. Will it handle it, yes but are there situations where it can get squirrly ..... yes. I take it your current trailer does not have brakes? You might be better served getting brakes this year on the trailer and it would take care of most of your current problems, I think $700 or so is about right. I have a Dodge Nitro and pull my partners 929!!!!!!!!!! Handles it well but without the trailer brakes I would not even attempt it for too long of a haul.

If you were to get a larger boat or when ready to buy new because this one is worn out then yes go big.

Just my two cents worth!

Randy!

And one from the peanut gallery, I think Tox is right on but in the end you have to have confidence and feel safe and comfortable under any and all conditions since you are the one driving it. Since you already have some experience with the mountains drive it with that in mind and other experiences will come along both good and bad, in the meantime keep looking for that Tahoe/Avalanche which are built on truck type frames and now that it's out here other eyes will be looking to help you also....be safe and have fun and see you on the cover of BP....

I agree with Tox but i have a different opinion on what Teri should concider getting.

At this point there is nothing "recreational" about what and where she will be towing, so the Jeep just wont cut it. It has nothing to do with the size of the boat per se or how much power the Jeep has. Its the other things like will the cooling system handle a 12 hour tow thru the Appalachian Mountains? Will the breaks overheat on a 5 mile 7% grade? Can the axles withstand the abuse they will be put thru on repeated 500+ mile tows? If the rear bumper going to be on the ground making it steer funny when i load up everything i need? What will happen when i climb a hill and have to deal with 30mph crosswinds? Will the transmisison overheat on the return trip up that 7% grade, etc........... Its more then just pulling the boat to the local ramp. A Jeep suv just isnt built for that type of stuff.

There is a reason most of the national guys that tow thier own stuff have 3/4 ton trucks. They can tow the boat and carry all the gear they need plus spare parts for the boat, spare fishing gear, baits etc, etc and do it safely.

Since she plans on towing all over the place fishing a national trail a 3/4 ton suburban or truck with a shell would be her best bet. A 3/4 ton will have the toughness needed for those long sustained tows, thru the mountians etc and it will do it without complaint and do it safely and reliably. I would not even worry about the gas thing, no matter what you tow with its going to stink. Saftey and reliability should be the primary concern.

I tow a similar sized boat with a 1/2 ton and it does great but i only tow locally. If i was fishing a national trail i would get a 3/4 ton(Chevy only in my world)and be done with it, i think it would be just a hair too much for a 1/2 ton long term.

A truck with a cap for Teri???? That's an old mans truck!! I drive one.....oh wait...I'm an old man compared to Teri. I do like having my stuff out of the weather. Somewhere between the Jeep and a 2500HD should be fine with the factory tow package which usually includes a better tranny cooler.

Last year I traded my '04 3/4 Suburban for a '08 6 cylinder Toyota Tacoma. I drive 700+ miles every weekend towing a Nitro Z6. The Toyota pulls better and brakes harder than the 3/4 ton Chevy. I miss the storage space but love the gas milage. The Hemi will be fine. Just remember after a year of tourneys no matter what you are driving with have so many miles it will be almost worthless in the used car market. Just my 2 cents. Did you ever look to see if your storage lids have a support bar?

Teri - You owe it to yourself for comfort and safety to get a full size tow vehicle for this chapter in life you're starting. When we started opening up BPS's one right after the other in the mid to late '90's while I was fishing the Eastern trail I logged about 30k miles on my boat trailers and even more on my AC/Delco GM dealer rides yearly. There is no way I would have done that on anything less than a full sized SUV/truck. (I had Suburbans, a Tahoe, and a Silverado HD that I still own.) You will find that you will need the space and the tow safety is invaluable. I've seen plenty of folks try and make do over repetitious long hauls with less and it never ended well for the vehicle and occasionally the driver. Good luck. ;)

Alrighty......a big fat NO on a truck with a cap. those are reserved for Dorks like Bob G.

A 3/4 ton truck is HUGE. Can't see that either.

A Tahoe or Armada or possibly a full size truck (ugh) maybe.

I do have an affinity for this Jeep. I just don't think it will cut it in the long run. When I bought it, I had no intent to fish as a pro/boater.

Well, I guess you can call me a dork.

2002 Silverado HD2.jpg

Just don't call me late for dinner! :lol:

Well let me give my 2 cents worth since I am probably the one person who has owned more cars and trucks than anyone on this site..First Teri you won't be happy with the jeep as a tow vehicle..I have a nephew that has the same thing you have and he had to trade because of the mountains..I had one for awhile also.It wouldn't work for my big boat.I Loved the jeep for the ride and off road driving but it's not for long hilly trips..

The Tahoe Is really holding there trade in value..Most people use Trucks for power and for stopping and boats..surge brakes are great but just not enough....I would really consider this since you are going Into this big time...They will stop building those Tahoes..I loved mine Gas millage wasn't great but It really was a work horse..a new one would cost you over 50,000

PS I owned 2 Tahoes and I really liked them..JR

Atleast in THIS scenario i'm not the DORK!!! LOL

I'll throw in my 2 cents, just remember the longer the wheelbase the better it will tow.

Teri,

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and tow my 901 through the tournament trail without problem. I like because it doubles as a family vehicle as well. I would be concerned that the trailer was "squirrely" in the mountains, that would have more to do with balancing of the trailer wheels rather than the truck. You would have felt a lack of power if anything, but with that HEMI I would be surprised.

The jeep isn't a 3/4 ton (or more) vehicle so you will feel some weight back there, if you planned to travel the US non-stop for a year that would be a different story all together, but I don't see a problem with keepoin the behicle you have.

Pierre

I thought I would ask the valued opinion of my fellow NTOWS....haven't asked anything about this in awhile so the Peanut Gallery can remain silent!

Has it been six months already? :)

Since you like the Jeep so much, how about an F-150, Silverado, or Ram in a supercab configuration, maybe a few years used, not real long on fancy options, as a cheap, dedicated tow vehcile? Supercabs are usually much cheaper than crew cabs, but still have some room for your goods in the cab. They've got pretty much the same towing goodness as other 1/2 ton vehicles. They just aren't fancy.

If it keeps you in the Jeep for a long time, it will pay you back.

OK... coming from a family who has owned two Jeep Grand Cherokees - a 2005 and our current 2011 - I will say that the Jeep GC is a nice vehicle, but in the end, it's a crossover (and it is too - it's not a body on frame like a truck is; it's a unibody) We love the way our GC's drive, and they have decent "towing ability"... but I wouldn't use one to tow if I were fishing a tournament circuit.

I have to admit that I thought of buying a second 2011 Overland with a 5.7 Hemi after driving my wife's (It's one hell of a sweet ride!). But I talked myself out of it. I tow a boat. I need a tow vehicle, and as much as I hate to admit it - the Jeep is not. Yeah, it has a lot of towing capacity, but it just isn't a "tow vehicle".

Now my 2007 Dodge Ram Quad Cab (with camper shell, so I'm in the dork club too) with the Hemi - that's a tow vehicle. I think my next one is going to have a Diesel in it, unless Diesel reaches $10 a gallon... which it might before long. :lol:

Towing heavy loads over long distances, over hilly / mountainous countryside, for many, many miles is just not what unibody crossovers were meant for. They were meant for comfort, safety, and a smooth ride. Get a tow vehicle that is meant to do the job, and you won't regret it.

All the best,

Glenn

Hello

My pennys worth. I had a jeep cherokee with an 18ft 7" stratos. The jeep towwed the boat just fine but the problem I had was the stopping. The second or third time that it pushes you through an intersection when the roads are wet going down hill you will look at it different. will it pull it yes without a dought. is it safe 97% of the time yes. It is that 3% that is what you must worry about. If that is what you have than you must adjust your driving accordingly. I am sure when it was squirrly you were going down grade. best of luck in your decission.

Yes, going down the mountain it got to shimmeying and I had to slow WAY down. I have experience the "oh crap I can't stop" already with the Jeep and the boat and sailed on thru the light.

Rich, I just can't see paying for 2 vehicles, insurance, and maintenance. If I had 2 I would have a Mini Cooper and a tow vehicle. :)

I am pretty convinced I need to start looking around for that long haul to Texas in March. Just not sure what I am looking for. The Tahoe is a front runner but dang they are expensive.

I was a jeep GC owner for almost 20 years(88,96,02), but finally dropped the brand after the 02 lemon for two reasons. first issue was quality/reliability and the second was tow stability/comfort with our ski boat. We bought an 2000 suburban with 40k miles and drove it to 232k miles before trading it off for a 2002 with 70k last summer. Towed and rode like a dream the entire time for our 23' deckboat. Would have re-built and kept for our backup except it had the notorious Autoride system that costs a small fortune to repair/replace. I would highly recommend you not buy one with this suspension system. The 02 was almost perfect with only an off brand of tire as a negotiating point. I paid $14k, plus my trade in. I would fully expect to drive it to 200k plus easily. That is my wife's vehicle. Mine is a 2003 Yukon that now has 134k. Interior/exterior like new and I paid $7k plus my lemon jeep with 100k miles. I hate to say it, but one of the best features of the Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban/YukonXL are the SEATS! They are like sitting in a lazyboy. My 2003 has the seperate back/butt heaters so I can warm up the back after a long day of fishing. As my brother in law says I have a sofa on wheels. How do I get my deals...

I drive 3 hours north to buy them in Chicago. I find that the large city/suburban dealerships have plenty of competition within an hour of each other to keep prices down. Also an ample supply of low/mid mileage SUV's that have not been abused by their suburban owners as they grow bored and want somehting new between 40-70k miles. Locally in our regional area it seems like the same family owns every Chevy/GMC dealership with 50-70 miles so you are trying to negotiate with the same people even though in a completely different town. Using Autotrader and cars.com I find approx 10-12 vehicles in the chicago area that I prioritize in order and then show up at the first one saying I am buying a car before I go home today and you are my first stop. I tell them I will not come back for a second chance so make your best deal and I go home early or it is off to the next dealership on the list. I have done this on my last 4 vehicles and have always been on my way back home by noon with my new(used) ride. I easily save $4k per vehicle doing it this way.

We will always have at least one of these as our primary tow vehicle. If I only had one I would buy the suburban for the extra room for storage and stuff, plus longer wheelbase rides a little better in my opinion. Also if you pull the rear bench and fold up the middle bench you can inflate a twin size air mattress for comfortable sleep arrangment with room still to spare.

Teri, a couple of years ago we started looking to replace the family minivan with a full size SUV. I was doing all the towing duty with my Explorer Sport Trac (5400 lbs max tow). We have a 23' bowrider, which tips the scales at just over 5K on the trailer. The Sport Trac could tow it, but it was working hard when doing it.

Because my Sport Trac has been such an excellent vehicle, and we had friends with F-150s and Expeditions that were reliable and comfortable, we eventualy focused our search on Ford Expeditions. I looked at both new and near new used. I wasn't satisfied that I was finding good values out there. This was during the last gas crunch, and I felt like the deals should have been more aggressive. On a lark, I started including Lincoln Navigators in the mix. Sure enough, found a pristine 2007 Navigator with 23K miles. It was cheaper than most of the Expeditions I looked at, with a lot more plush included. They have ridiculous sticker prices, and steep depreciation the first couple of years. That's where the sweet spot is.

Towing with it is an absolute joy. Riding in it is an absolute joy. Quiet. Handles well for a big vehicle. It's Jeanne's daily driver and she loves it.

If I had a dollar for everytime I told you this. Get a Yukon or a Tahoe and be done with it!!!!

Tox, that truck is a towing MACHINE!

Mini, you would be way ahead if you had a penny everytime you told her that!

I bought my first truck in 1984 and will always have a full size truck for towing. GM trucks tow great and are comfy too.

Also, all trucks are not created equal. Gear ratios and factory tow packages need to be considered.

F-150.... Supercab... 2004 or later... Keep the jeep and buy the truck as a second vehicle... Or, "wrestle" with the jeep for a season on the trail and when it is paid off get a truck...

Just for the record, my F-150 just rolled over 200,000 miles... Other than maintenance and coil packs (6 at $150 each) I have done nothing in the way of repairs... My mechanic says I have another 50,000 at least... Get that from your Bow Tie Tox! LOL

Meyer...Don't think I couldn't....I've got a Jeep Wrangler with 270,000 and it's still going strong, I would expect the same with the truck because of the way I maintain it. You are a dork as well because you have a shell on that white rolling tacklebox of yours!! Teri, although I think you would be happier with a Tahoe, Mini can live in the back of his for cryin out loud......and he does, I've seen him!! My truck is the perfect "tow" vehicle. 6.0 v8, locking rear, 4wd, 4.10 gearing, HD tow package and suspension with some added extras from the factory (upsized stainless steel exhaust), anti-locks....and on and on. I put bigger Michelin all seasons on it. Interior is full leather, 4 doors, heated seats (CIII has programmed the passenger side, :) ), 6 disk cd, BOSE stereo, xm, on-star, and rolling up on 100k trouble free miles. I get 12mpg towing or not, that's just the way it is. Downside....It won't fit in most garages, longer turn radius, with the boat in tow it is a very long package. I put a solid tonneau on mine (Undercover) instead of the full size topper so I'm only 1/2 a dork!! I'd sell you this truck cheap if you were interested but seriously, this truck is designed to tow like a beast and ride like a Cadillac...My model in it's most used form is to tow 5th wheels for folks that didn't want to buy an oil burner. It was special ordered and the guy backed out of the deal. I'm always open. Likewise, Florida is home to the largest public run auto auction in the US (around Orlando) and the vehicles here seem to be cheaper all around because of that. Keep my truck in mind and let me do some checking, I can always find the best deals out there for vehicles, you could fly down here to pick something up and I could ferry you around to make it happen. Here is "Black Betty" (yes, named after the Ram Jam song) at my house here in Florida...

Betty Small.jpg

Teri

You can add me to the "Dork" list too. I run an F250 Powerstroke with a nice fiberglass topper. It pulls my 18 foot Tundra like it isn't there and is a rock on the road. I've always been a Dork and wear the title as a badge of honor.:D

I do side with a 3/4 ton something or another for the best road saftey. As for the brand it doesn't make a bit of differenc as long as you like it. A pal has a 2500 duramax, Dad has a Dodge, Several of my pals have Powerstrokes. I've drove them all and like every one of them.;)

fatrap

How about renting a pickup for each trip, unlimited miles, usually pretty new, leave the jeep at home, just a thought:p

Where can you rent a truck that you can tow with?

The reason i ask is the last time i needed a rental was when my truck was in the body shop after nissan decided to commit suicide and hit my truck. I went to every rental place around my area and nobody would rent a truck that had a hitch on it. All the major ones hertz, enterprise ect said towing was strictly prohibited in the rental contract. My Chevy dealer loaned me a demo Silverado pretty much just like mine so i could tow my boat while it was in thier body shop geting fixed/painted. They didnt have to do that but that is one of the reasons they will get my repeat business when the time comes. Although it will be a while before im ready to buy since i just turned 100k on my Silverado in Sept and its just getting broken in:D.

Teri, I think you will be fine with your GC. If you were towing a 21 footer maybe that would be a bit on th e high side of what to pull, but the rig you are pulling around is 1/3 of your tow capacity. A few things, you want to make sure your brakes are working properly and make sure that you have the tongue weight right when it is on the vehicle. If this is all you did with this, by all means I'd trade it for a 4 door truck, but it is not.

Teri,

Look at what folks tow with long distance (80 percentile). They are a no kidding truck of soem sort. As with anything else, there are some that do not fall in the 80 percentile. But I think that the overwhelming majority tow with a no kidding "truck". There is value in that as discussed above.

Good luck with your search, and I would reccomend you give a regular truck an extended test drive. Very comfy and little to no constraints for anything towing.

Carlos

PS if you are in my area, come on over and test drive mine. It is veryyyyy nice!

Teri,it is true, BIGGER is better... all you need is to get TOO squirrelly once.

like toxic said "tow like a beast and ride like a Cadillac" though mine is an oil burner, gets a little over 15 mpg...

2011-01-06_15-28-39_730.jpg

I found the "truck of my dreams"....not that I ever had one. The Ford 150 Raptor! If it was 0% for 72 months I would consider it! But, they aren't.

A few of you have contacted me with a few suggestions, and I really appreciate it. Just wanted you to know my tow vehicle situation has been resolved. I didn't want anyone wasting time searching. Thanks so much for all your advice. You guys are awesome.

"my tow vehicle situation has been resolved" TELL TELL TELL???

I am quite sure it will not be a popular choice here but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on a new 2010 Nissan Armada.

Couldn't even come close on a Tahoe, even a used one. I am sure there are reasons for that but I know people who have an Armada and tow all over and love it. I got what I paid for my Jeep in trade. I don't buy new cars so that tells you how much I saved. I found alot more 2010 Tahoes sitting on lots but they won't deal on them too much and gave me crap trade. This is the last they had so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Did the whole thing over the phone. So simple, it was awesome.

Drove it today and it's a tank. lol No worries on towing my boat.

Like I said....I knew it wouldn't be a popular choice on this site. You can blame Emily. You do know Nissan is here right?

I dont care where they are. You have to earn my respect again. Now if you would have bought a used one I wouldnt be so hard on you. But you will get worse gas mileage and less towing capability while feeding the machine of foriegn transplants.

Funny how you listen to Emily like her word is golden and shun your Detroit connection. You are now on double secret probation for the MVM. The Don has spoken.

Teri,

Coprey Corrico (on here when he isn't writing term papers) had one the lasdt time I saw him and his boat... He was happy with it and said it towed his 882 like it didn't exist. Good luck... What color...

The folks working in Nissan's Missippi plant have to earn a living, too.

Teri, it's a fine choice. The Armada is a stout vehicle, and very comfortable.

Mini, you can kiss it! Emily's "golden" word makes me laugh! I got a Nissan employee discount, plus rebates, plus low financing, plus 2010 negotiating power, plus what I paid for my Jeep in trade.

I am not talking a few hundred dollars between a Tahoe and an Armada. I am talking thousands.

So new Armada: $35000 (45000 msrp), trade $23000

Used Tahoe $34500, $20000 trade (not budging) 42000 miles

hmmm, seemed like a no brainer to me.

You love me anyway! I know you do!

Well I hope it blows like a bus full when you are in town we will see who gets scared

Greg and Rich, thank you for your support. Nice to know some friendships aren't fickle enough to be decided on what kind of tow vehicle you have. :)

Congrats on the new ride Teri! (The preceding statement was still logged in my C&P. :lol: )

That looks like a nice, full framed tow vehicle. I hope it serves you well. Good luck and God Bless. ;)

Teri....Ya can't please everybody all of the time but you sure can please yourself most of the time....Best of luck on your new ride.....Hope it matches the boat:)

Teri, congrats on the new ride. I am considering coming up to watch you girls bust them on Rayburn in March. Good luck and safe travels.

Darn Teri Looks like I gotta go get me a new ride..HA HA I got a call that Challenger was coming out with a 470 hp car soon..Never owned a challenger had a 69 GTX 440 though.SO the question IS what will It be now.....I like the looks of the new hauler you bought..JR

Latest posts

Back