ez pass

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Gregan

Reaction score
I just recently enrolled with ez pass. I was wondering if any of you who live in the northeast have ever had problems using ez pass while towing a boat. I inquired from ez pass what the protocol is for towing a boat and I couldn't get a definitive answer. I have heard and read that there is no problem but ez pass states that I should go to a manual lane and not use the ez pass. Sort of defeats the purpose for me. One of the main reasons I bought ez pass was to use it while towing my boat to Canada. Anyone out there who can tell me their experiences using ez pass while towing their boat especially in the NJ, Pa and NY areas would be appreciated.

I have never had one issue towing the boat with it, i use it mainly in NH where there are two tolls on my way up. From what they told me they count the axles ws you pass thru. I have been using mine with the boat for years.

I also just looked this up on the NJ EZ pass website. This is pretty much the same as i got from Mass.

"Q. I sometimes pull a camper or trailer with my vehicle. Can I still use my tag?

A. Yes. In this instance the equipment in the lane is designed to identify that your vehicle is pulling a trailer and you will be charged accordingly. However, if you think this will be a regular occurrence, you should call the Customer Service Center and have them send you a tag programmed for the vehicle classification you use most frequently. You should never use your tag in a vehicle type other than the one you initially requested (i.e. Car tag in a tractor-trailer).

"

Carlos and I have used 1 the last 2 years from VA to MI. First year no problem. If I remember, we got charged for the extra axles. This last year I got a little thank you in the mail from the state of PA and they included a snapshot of the front of my truck!!:lol: Seems one of the toll plaza's didn't read the transponder and they tripped me for running the toll. I had to fill out a bunch of paperwork and get a copy of the EZ Pass billing that showed we went through all the other tolls with the transponder. You then get the "ticket" amount reduced down to the toll amount. It's worth the hassle, it saves a lot of time.

TOXIC

I did see that question and answer on the NJ website but when I spoke with a rep on the phone she told me that when I tow the boat I should put the transmitter in the bag and pay manually. Just a little confusing to me. Also in reading the brochure that came with the transmitter it states that there are 3 options when towing: take your chances and if there is a problem notify ez pass, pay manually or go to a manual booth and ask the toll collector what to do. I was also informed that each state varies in their ez pass regulations. JIM B. what you said about never having any issues using ez pass seems to be the general consesus when I have asked others who have ez pass. Thanks

By the way I did register my trailer plate with ez pass and hopefully that resolves any future issues.

Larry,

i have been using mine with no problems in NH. I tow my snowmobile trailer and boat up and down 93 year round.

you should be just fine up here in the North East.

GregD

I had an older one and had a problem at a toll booth outside of Worcester, MA a few years ago and received a letter with a penalty and a warning from FastLane weeks later. Seeing that they were wring, i called FastLane and they told me that I needed a newer transponder as my current one didn't support towing. I promptly got a new one, registered it and haven't had any problems since and I tow in MA, NH and NY. With you having a new one, I can't see a problem you can't resolve as Toxic pointed out.

Good Luck! Bill, the Mad Kayaker

Latest posts

Back