New Product

• Thread starter Scott Hammer TOXIC [URL]http://www.quickdropsweig
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Sorry for the TritonGlenn style post :lol: but I just wanted to let everyone know that I may have stumbled on to the "Holy Grail" of drop-shot weights. All that have fished with me know how I just luuuuvvvv to dropshot. I've been doing it for a long time and would like to think I've refined it pretty well. I've caught many a fish on it and taught a lot of anglers how to fish it. The most important thing in dropshotting is the dropshot weight itself (a quality Gamakatsu hook is a given). Not only are there a bunch of different shapes, sizes and weights, there is a definite problem with line twist, especially if you are using light line. Smart anglers will untwist their line on a regular basis if dropshoting (normally by dragging the line behind the boat with nothing tied on) I've always said that it is the quality of the dropshot weight's "harp" (where you slide it on your line) that makes the difference. Lead is lead to a degree and the shape it is poured is another factor but overall the harp makes the difference. You want it to hold your line secure enough to get through rocks and vegetation but not so hard it causes your line to break at the hook causing you to re-tie the whole rig. A bad harp will also cut your line with very little pressure causing you to lose more weights than necessary. Neeley had some locally made weights in his store one year that were great but he lost the local makers name and could never get them re-stocked or find the guy who made them. Cheap fishermen will just tie a bell sinker to the end of their line or use crimped on lead weights. Problem with that is you get a lot more line twist and 99% of the time you will break off at the hook because that is the weakest knot in the chain. Enter Marc Marcantonio. I've known Marc for a number of years since he is also a Yamamoto pro-staffer and we talked about his weights in the past but never really got serious about hooking up. He is a West Coast fisherman and dropshots the Columbia River for huge smallies. Long story longer, Marc and I finally got a chance to talk and he sent me some of his weights. I am so impressed that I decided to clue you in before I have had a chance to even slide one on a line!! I can tell just by looking and holding them that these little jewels are special. 100% made in the USA and the harp/swivel is top of the line. I have no doubt that these will be the added to my arsenal and I will continue to report back after I get a chance to try them out. I'm going to take some to Michigan for the MVM to try and really put them to the test. In the meantime, go to his website (link provided), check them out and stay tuned sports fans!!:D Now I gotta get to the hotside just to try them!! :lol:

TOXIC
http://www.quickdropsweights.com/

Tox,

Are they lead? If so, lead weights are not legal in VT if 1/2 ounce or less. If offered in non-lead, I would definitely give them a try.

Edit: spelling

They are lead so a no-go in VT. I am very excited to try them out and don't want to sound like an infomercial because I have not fished them yet. That's the true test. First blush is very promising. Marc told me I would be impressed. I have yet to see this level of quality in a DS weight and believe me, I've tried a BUNCH!!

TOXIC

I have been using Marc's weights for the past year and a half. They are quite good. Sometimes if going deep, I prefer tungsten weights. With tungsten the size is a bit smaller for the same weight so I can go up to 3/8 oz with no increase in size. But for most of my fishing in 30' or less I use the Quickdrops. Just got a new order in from TackleWarehouse. They are very good dropshot weights. I've never met Marc but he is a great help with Lowrance questions and hangs out at BBC and on WesternBass.com.

NoCAL

I will be making my own like that soon. But with a normal barrel swivel. I don't like those clips, they cut the line.

Not with quality wire they don't. That was one of my biggest complaints. It has to hold enough to get through the goo and rocks but if it holds too hard you will break off at the hook knot. Quality harp wire makes the difference and the shape of the harp. These ave free floating swivels that are small. More to come.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back