My Ruger broke :(

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
With less than 200 rounds through it, my M77 trigger went. I brought it back as it is under warranty and the dealer couldn't believe it. First one he's seen go on a Ruger in over 20 years. Would be my luck! So now I'm stuck shooting the AR-15 or Bushmaster or playing games at work! LOL Actually we're getting ready to start test firing the .50 cal next week. Can't wait. We have a Barrett semi-auto, Desert Storm sniper rifle coming with the thermal scope! Yeeeeehaaaaa! Talk you all in a month or two once I can raise my arms to the keyboard again! LOL

With all the litigation that has gone on against the firearms industry in recent years, the trigger mechanisms have become extremely safe. And a Ruger? They are so very well made!

I remember about 20 years or so ago when they started making their products with a much heavier trigger pull to meet safety standards. I started "stoning" the sears down on handguns to get a smooth, easy pull. Did it to a couple of 10/22's, too.

me!

Rob,

Do you have a Glock in your arsenal?

I spent 8 years in law enforcement. When I started out I bought a Ruger and was quite satisfied with it. I was qualifying at the range, and dropped a couple of rounds out of the 2 point ring like I always did, and the instructer came over and put me through the paces with his Glock. Man I was amazed at how well it grouped. He told me that no matter how well you shoot the ruger just doesn't hold a good pattern. I bought a glock shortly after that. I still have the ruger but I prefer the Glock.

I think if you look around you will find less and less law enforcement personell using the ruger.

Just my two cents,

Wolf

Wolf, this is a rifle, but thanks. Next is pistols for our .357 and .38 rounds. I was looking at a Ruger Redhawk.

Just my opinion but I am in the industry and have and do still own several. If you get ready to get a .357/.38 Special, the best one on the market is the Smith & Wesson Model 686! It is totally reliable, has an awesome trigger and will out shoot all the rest! "Wheel guns" will definitely outshoot semi-autos and I hate to disagree with Wolf but Glocks are very over-rated! If you want the best semi-auto, get a good 1911 style in .45ACP. (Springfield, Kimber, etc.)

Again, just my two cents.

JR... I speak a big "ditto". For 20 years I carried a handgun for "social" purposes. Only three ever made their way into my heart... A Mdl 19 S&W that I still own and shoot... A S&W .22 Kit Gun that has thousands upon thousands of rounds through it and a custom .45... I have "been there and done that" and given a choice, would never bet my life on anything but a .45 with 200+ grain jacketed soft nose. My second choice for "serious" work is a .357 with a good 158 grain soft nose semi wad cutter. I know that I could start a "war" here so I am not open to debate on this one... What I know works... I know, first hand, works. And, sadly I have seen what does not work... A lot of range time will make you a fan of the "wonder 9s" and one gunfight will make you a fan of a .45! (Or a sadly disappointed un-fan of the 9s...)

Oh... I got so carried away... Rob, my 77/22 is one of the finest rifles I have owned. It is dead-on for squirrels... after a little tuning by a smith... An interesting trick with mine (an all other 77/22s I have shot) is at the bench (or in the field) apply thumb pressure down on the exposed posrtion of the bolt after it is locked before each shot... helps that multi-piece bolt be consistent in headspace...that helps consistency downrange...

I thought they quit making the Ruger, at least that's what my dad told me. Maybe it's just certain models. 22 automatic, do they still make them?

Greg, what exactly do you mean? Any way I can keep head space consistent will increase accuracy and I am interested.

Rob,

Just push down on the exposed portion bolt briefly, applying about the same moderate pressure you would to seat a shell in the clip. It seems to help by a considerable amount in getting my 77/22 to group tightly. My riflesmith said it had to do with the "nature" of the bolt and the locking mechanics... Try it with three sho groups from a solid benchrest both applying pressure and not... my groups at 50yds (sight in range for the .22) averaged about 1/4" better in 10 three shot strings...

I never said Glock was the best.

I simply compared it to the ruger.

S&W is awsome in my opinion.

Rob,

I don't ever recall seeing an M77 pistol.

I new what you were talking about, but I also know that you probably don't market only rifle ammo, and was just comparing the brands.

I will stay out of this conversation, my experience with hand guns probably pales in comparison with all of the experts on this board....

carry on,

Wolf

Rob, my "push down on the bolt" does not apply to the 77 only the 77/22s. The 77 centerfire has locking lugs on the face of the bolt and will regenerate the same headspace everytime, all the time. (assuming the bolt face is square and the lugs are properly cut and faced) The 77/22 locks on (at) the bolt handle (rear locking) and is therefore susceptible to varying headspace issues with the multi-piece bolt. By the way, for many reasons, for bench testing of handgun ammo I used a Thompson Center Contender pistol for load development and then tuned good loads to the exact pistol I was working on for the load. Obviously for gas actuated auto rifles (and many "locking" auto pistols) issues like pressure curve and powder burn rates affect accuracy and reliability. Reliability is affected in some straight blowback auto pistols if you have very slow burn rates. And, for rifles I used the actual rifles... Get me drunk some time and I will discuss pitch any yaw rates and terminal balistics all night... Ammo manufacturing is 95% engineering and then 5% voo-doo.

Greg, I can't get you drunk but would love to pick your brain on pistol loads. I have rifle reloading down pretty good and have developed some decent loads for various rifles I shoot.

Within the last few years I'be become obsessed with pistol shooting and reloading rounds. I have dies for 38special 357magnum 40S&W. 44 mag, and my custom built Colt 45 ACP. I recently bought a CZ 40 caliber and it shoots 4" high on my fifteen yard range. The shop owner suggested changing ammo before trying to pry up the rear sight. They are fixed combat style like the Millets on my 45. I'm shooting 7grains of bullseye with a 155 grain Hornady XPT hollowpoint. Any suggestions.

fatrap

Fatrap,

If it's shooting 4" high, why would you want to pry up the rear sight? That would raise the impact.

Fatrap,

Try a heavier bullet (I would want one anyway for defensive purposes). I'm not experienced in .40 reloads but I have some very definite opinions about defensive loads... I'm not fond of higher velocity lighter loads for defensive purposes. And, hollowpoints, in order to reliably expand at pistol velocities, are "delicate". A .40 is inherently "large enough" to transmit energy reliably, so I would use a good soft nosed jacketed semi wadcutter in 175-200 grains that gave good accuracy (leaning toward "the heavier, the better") and staying above 1000 fps at the muzzle, which should be easy with the .40. E=mail me and I'll expond on "why".

Teri, last time I looked, they were still selling the Ruger 10/22 semi-auto rifle and the semi-auto pistol. I can't imagine them discontinuing either!

Greg, for many years, I carried a Model 63 (stainless 22 kit gun) with me when out in the woods - it tucked away nicely in a fly-fishing vest or bottom of a small tackle box.

me!

10/22 is alive and strong. They have great aftermarket add on components for them. Best .22 semi on the market imho.

Wolf, when you drop the huge chip, let us know and come back and talk shop. YOUR post sounded like you were suggesting pistol when I was talking rifle. I DIDN'T KNOW if you knew that or not so I was trying to clarify. Now relax and try to fit your massive ego and knowledge of pistols back into the post if you want. Be careful though, you DON'T know who knows what on this site. There are a LOT of ex-military here that know a LOT about weapons, ballistics, and ammo in general. That's why I come here to ASK not get all upity. And I don't recall anyone saying they were "experts". Geeeeesh, you put out a simple post and somebody always has to get a bug up their arse!

I have a Ruger M-77 thats is an older gun...one of the first bolt action deer rifles to come on to the market. I can put 4 shots in a 50 cent piece with the fifth shot a little low.. Awsome deer rifle.

Also my dad has a Ruger 10/22 it is a very accurate gun up to about 70 yards which i think is awsome for a .22.

T.S.

A Ruger Mark 1 .22 automatic long rifle pistol by Sturm, Ruger and Co. Do they still make that?

Jr.,

When I first started out in Law Enforcemdnt I carried the 686 and it is the only gun I ever shot a 100 percent on the tactical range for state qualifications. I caught a lot of flack at the Academy for carrying it, but when the scores came in not to many people were laughing after that!!

Tim

Teri -

They did about a year ago, last time I was at a dealer..... I believe it was the first firearm ever designed by Bill Ruger.

The very first ones produced had a red bird or eagle or whatever that thing is on the handle instead of the silver ones that are there now - perhaps that is what your father is referring to. Does his have the red bird on the handle? If so, he's got a real collectors item!

I've owned several. With a bit of trigger work, they are real tack drivers! I can't imagine them ever discontinuing the model.

me!

The Ruger emblem changed from red to black after the death of Bill Ruger's partner "Sturm" of Sturm Ruger...

Ruger's only "nera-flop" has been the so-so sales of the P series autoloaders designed for law enforcement. Sales have never been great. And, as an almost out of character trait for a Ruger product, the accuracy of the Mini/Ranch 14 series of rifles has only been mediocre to fair.

It is an interesting company because it was always willing to use more modern manufacturing processes...investment castings, being one, and alloys to build the products but always to a high quality standard.

It definitely does not have a silver emblem on handle. I'll have to look at it when I get home to see what it is. I think it must be a collectors item from what he said. It's the only gun I enjoy shooting. The Colt 45 scares me. My pops gave it to me after some looney chased me at my favorite fishing spot several years ago. Good thing I've got good wheels and know the woods there very well. He hates that I go to remote places by myself. I try to reassure him that when I am in my fishing clothes with a hat on most people probably think I am a guy. Ha!

Teri, get yourself a little Seacamp 32 auto, they are hammerless and about the size of a deck of cards, and would fit into your front pocket. A quality handgun. They are coming out with a 380 auto model this year and I'm on the waiting list. They are made one at a time.

Buzz

I don't think Seecamp 32's are made anymore. The ones for sale are about 400-500. I don't want to spend that much.

Teri, yes they are, I work part time at a Gun & Tackle shop an we just got 5 of them in and they went right out the door. We have 5 of the 380's on order and were told that we would see them in about 6 months to a year..

Buzz

I think I read on the internet they don't make them. I'd like a .32 but can't find one locally.

Well,

Two pieces of innertube, a forked stick and ball bearings out of old spray paint cans are deadly in the right hands.

TOXIC

By all means...get a .380 instead of a .32. Below a .380 the actual effectiveness deteriorates at a rapid rate... Effectiveness...not lethality. Because the bullets are "outside lubricated" (covered with parafin like sticky stuff) they gather and retain nasty germs and the small would canal is very difficult to deal with medically the .22 is very lethal compared to its size. I DON'T CARE IF THE TARGET LIVES OR DIES; IF I HAVE A RIGHT TO SHOOT HIM/HER I WANT THEM TO EFFECTIVELY BE OUT OF THE FIGHT...THAT USUALLY MEANS DOWN AND LACKING THE WILL TO FIGHT...DOWN USUALLY MEANS OUT... .22, .25, .32 don't usually do it! A couple of hits from a .380 begin to be serious discouragement!

I agree with Greg on the 380 plus most of em aren't accurate. I have a HiPoint 380 that will almost shoot through the same hole at fifteen yards. It has a compensated barrel and almost no recoil. A ninety grain hollowpoint will get someone's attention, but when I pack for a trip the 45 or 40 gets the nod.

fatrap

Colt makes a nice .380 and Berretta make some real nice .380's. But I will stick with my 45 1911 Combat commander light weight.

BF

I agree on the power but I have a 45 for that. I want something very small for a pocket or a pouch when I am fishing/camping with very little gear with me.

Teri,

Except for some of the Baby Browning styles the majority of the pocket pistols produced are the same physical size so caliber choices are sometimes available in the smaller pistols. And, frankly, there are some nice small .380s and 9s. Like I said before, if you have to use it, and you have the right to use it, you want it to have the desired effect.

I put up a link to a piece of machinery that dumps a million rounds a minute and nobody has a smart a$$ comment....amazing...LOL. While y'all are plinkin away with your pocket pea shooters, I'll put up a wall of fire that gaaaarrrrunnnntttteeee's I hit my target. I wonder if it works for wing hunting.......

TOXIC

Tox,

Firepower is only noise unless its accurate... WMD is one Marine and his rifle...

Actually, electronic ignition has been around a long time... Daisy (the BB gun folks) had a primerless, caseless, electronically fired round... flopped. Remington toyed with electric triggers a short time ago. The "industry" is very mature and new innovations are hard to push into acceptance. However, true innovations are accepted and succeed, so maybe it will work "as advertised" and maybe it won't.

Greg, Understood. I was just jokin with you "gun nuts" Don't worry, Carlos will set me straight the next time he sees me!!

TOXIC

You all know that lethal air guns were carried on the Lewis and Clark expedition?

Teri don't rule out BB guns LOL. Seriously whatever you get practice, practice and practice some more. The operation of your handgun should be second nature and require NO EFFORT to bring to bear on your target. If you have to think for a second how it works it may be too late.

Fatrap

I stopped by one of the shops today after my golf tournament and rented some range time and a smaller 32, 380, and a 9mm. The Keltec 32 was definitely difficult to shoot accurately. I didn't like the recoil on the 9 and the 380 was just right. I actually shot a used Bersa that was in really nice shape and bought it pretty cheap. I am going to take a class there just to learn more. To be honest, most guns scare me except the 22 but I was very comfortable with the 380. I actually had a good time with the target. The salesman was great!

HAHAH Tox, too funny, so I am a gun nut huh :)

Good job on the pistol Teri, nice one to have and easy to learn to shoot.

Carlos

I went back today to pick up the Bersa and I didn't buy it. I shot a Kahr 40 and it wasn't too bad so I shot a Glock 9mm and really liked it. I still can't figure out why I didn't like the 9mm I shot the other day. I bought a new Glock 26 and I am quite pleased with it.

Great choice on the mini Glock Teri. I've carried Glocks exclusively for about 10 years now. Usually a model 22 (full size .40), but sometimes carry the model 27 (mini .40). They are a breeze to carry, ultra reliable (I've put about 30,000 rounds through my model 22 with NO FAILURES), and pretty accurate with practice. I like the Cor-Bon 135 grain HP for defensive carry.

Craig

http://www.cor-bon.com/expert.html

I don't recall seeing that brand. I got Federal Premium 135 grain. I will look for those next time.

Nice pistol Teri. I also ahve a Glock and ti is very easy to shoot and very reliable.

Carlos