I need advice

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Fee

NTO Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not had a boat in YEARS (Last one was a Bass tracker), and I know very little at all about them if, anything.
I have been wanting a Nitro Z 20 for 10 + years and I am going to get one, however, The hours really has me scratching my head.
On a 4 stroke 250 Mercury, say on a 2021 with 275 hours 54K , is this good or bad? Is it about worn out, and needs to be rebuilt in a year or two?

What about a 2020 54K w/t 239 hour 250 Merc?

These just seem like a heck of a lot of hours for the money.
In my thinking it is like buying a 2020-21-22 ca with 200,000 thousand miles on it.

Thank you to all who answers!

It really all depends on how it is maintained. Mercury's maintenance schedule has 100 hrs a year, or once a year if used less than 100 hours. If you do the math on the 2020, that is about 50+ hours a year, which is low. These motors are good for about 1000 hours or so before needing a rebuild.

I would make sure it had new plugs, filters, and a water pump though before I went out and ran it every trip with that mileage. Most serious owners have records of their maintenance, so ask if you can see it.

I certainly don't live down South, so we can't use our boats 12 months a year but we still have some good sized lakes to run. I usually average about 25 hrs a year on my big motor, but live on my electric, and fish almost every weekend until December, then back on the water early March.

I feel with the 4 strokes, the hours are not as critical as a 2 stroke. However, for only 2-3 years old does seam like a lot of use. If you think about it 200 hrs @ ave. Speed 40mph, is only 8000 miles. As long as oil changes were made, don't think I'd worry about it too much. Lower gear seals may sart leaking?

I feel most boat owners at that level keep a maintenance record.

I traded in my 2010 200hp XS (2 stroke) that had 430hrs, motor tested fine, full compression, etc. They could tell that only a fraction of those hours were at speeds over 60mph

We have a 2021 Z19 with a Mercury 200 four stroke. We took delivery in October 2020 and the motor currently has 215 hours. I have it serviced every year, having the dealer perform what Mercury recommends. We are retired, so it does get used a lot. Another thing to consider is how a motor gets used. We do not fish tournaments so most of the time, we run around at 45-50 mph, equates to less than 5000 rpm. Someone who fishes tournaments my run a motor harder. I expect modern, well maintained, four stroke motors to last well over 1500 hours.

I have not had a boat in YEARS (Last one was a Bass tracker), and I know very little at all about them if, anything.
I have been wanting a Nitro Z 20 for 10 + years and I am going to get one, however, The hours really has me scratching my head.
On a 4 stroke 250 Mercury, say on a 2021 with 275 hours 54K , is this good or bad? Is it about worn out, and needs to be rebuilt in a year or two?

What about a 2020 54K w/t 239 hour 250 Merc?

These just seem like a heck of a lot of hours for the money.
In my thinking it is like buying a 2020-21-22 ca with 200,000 thousand miles on it.

Thank you to all who answers!
Would have to agree with everyone else here. Which ever boat and motor you look at ask for the service records. If the owner is hesitant then best to walk away. I have a 2021 Z19 Sport with 174 hours on the motor. But again I live in upstate New York. Good luck on your search.

Latest posts

Back