Help with Transducer placement on a 2012 Z6

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarofr

NTO Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Garmin GT56 xducer I need to mount and have yet to find a solid answer on where it should go on my transom. I am aware of the advice to avoid anything on the hull that would cause water disturbance as well as the general rule to mount 15” from the prop on the starboard side. My boat has a single step transom however trailer bunks and tie downs block any logical placements down on the lower step and I cant see any sense in trying to put it directly behind the lower unit next to the drain plugs etc.

I believe the most reasonable placement I’ve seen from lots of searching online is shown on the pic below. One post even mentioned this was the manufacturer’s recommended location. If I do mount it here, it will obviously not be in line with the bottom of the boat so readings at speed are out (which I’m fine with).

Just hoping another Z6 owner with a SI transducer can comment/confirm. I plan on using a transom saver pad but still don’t want to commit until I am confident in the placement.

1729648368241.jpeg

Hi there;
Great! Another person with Garmin GT Transducer for use on a "17" Nitro. We also!
Your photo with marked area is just about where we have our GT54/56 Transducer mounted. Perhaps centered in the marked square.
It is not mounted at the bottom of the hull where the intakes and transom drain plug are located. Ours has worked with our dash-mounted UHD 93SV Graph just fine. No pick-up issues what-so-ever. Re speed, your Garmin Graph will record your speed through the GPS system. Your Speedometer is registered through a water pressure tube from the engine to the meter. I find it interesting to check between the dash Speedometer and the Garmin GPS speed. So far there is little difference. I trust the GPS speed first. I know our GT Transducer looks like a black banana sticking off the stern but so far have had only a slight issue with it being bumped by submerged timber while using the trolling motor. Garmin has a strong mount for this Transducer. Regards.

Latest posts

Back