Have You Ever Lost Your Trailer?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
On page 22 of the June issue of Bassmaster there is a small article about a device called a Trailer Trapper that will keep your trailer from comeing off the ball. I have wondered about this problem on many occasions. Even on fairly smooth interstate highways I sometimes hit a dip or a bump that puts some real stress on the hitch. I can just see the thing comeing off.

What are your experiances in this area?

Harpo

No, it is right under the boat where I left it.

That makes more sense now!

No, I think if you are using the proper size ball and keep a pin or lock in the release, you are fine. Just don't grease the ball.

Rich D

DON'T GREASE THE BALL?????

I've always been told just the opposite.

Harpo

It probably doesn't matter one way or another.

I have never had a problem not greasing it and I am willing to bet that you have never had a problem greasing it!

Rich D

I grease the ball and coupler because the trailer coupler needs to rotate on the hitch ball when going around corners. It is not for an electrical connection!! I also use a coupler lock and a hitch lock so my pins don't "disappear" while parked at the ramp.

Bob G.

Absolutely grease the ball, if you dont the metal on metal wear will wear out the socket on the coupler and the ball itself. I would think if it wore enough the coupler could "pop" off causing a problem. i have the ufp style coupler on mine and i use the pin in one side and a lick in the other. I also lock the draw bar like Bog G. said.

Never had it bounce off or come off as long as I attached the coupler correctly.

david.....

I use a 'lock pin' when on the SUV, and both a lock pin and ball lock when sitting at home. I have not greased the connection. Have thought about it, but would be intereseted in more comments from those that have.

Tex

White "Lithium" grease is what I have always used for all trailer hitch balls.

What kinda grease do you use on your balls?

Cass :)

I use regular wheel bearing grease! HA!!

Bob G.

I use a pin lock also. I can understand greasing the coupler (latching mechanism) due to the fact that it is a mechanical moving part that will lock up if not greased.

However, I have never greased the ball itself. To me there is just simple not enough movement/friction there to cause the tongue of the trailer to where through. And turning doesn't cause that much stress on it either.

Not saying one way or the other is right or wrong just curious I guess.

Wolf

Here is the article I was talking about. It really is somethig I have worried about. The other day I was following a guy pulling a boat. When he went over a pretty substansial dip at 70 mph after an overpass the trailer wheels must have gone up in the air 6 or 8 inches.

If you take a look at what is really holding that trailer coupler to the ball it ain't much, just a little piece of cast iron or aluminum. I don't know, it just doesn't seem like a safe system.

Harpo

BTW...Cass, you are a naughty girl. ];>))

But since you asked I like the white kind too.
trailer trapper.jpg

I do what Bob does and use a little wheel bearing grease. I also LOCK with a padlock my hitch to the ball, and then have a Fulton lock that locks the hitch to the reciever on the Van. What I don't have is something that locks the BALL to the hitch. I've heard of folks that are bad dudes can just unscrew your ball nut and put your trailer ball on their hitch and take your boat/trailer home.

Trep

I have had a trailer come off the ball once. I use a lock in the coupler and one for the drawbar. Those adjustment nuts can get loose sometimes and I hit a dip in the road and the trailer popped off the ball. Thank goodness for saftey chains. It was a real bear trying to get the trailer back on the ball. I check the latch adjustment every time before I tow now.

Rather than the trailer coming off the hitch ball I've had the Nut come off which secures the ball in place. I started hearing a clunking/metal sound as I would low down and speed up so I pulled over to find the ball loose in the bumper hole rocking back and forth. Luckily I didn't hit a bump or the would have been it!!!......Make sue your Hitch Ball and Nut are on your vechile with a lock washer good and tight!!!

I did have it come off on my old jonboat one, i had FORGOT to lock down the hitch on the ball! Luckily it was on a straight road about 1 mile from the ramp (but 10 from where I left!!!) and I hit a pot hole, felt the car lurch and then a CLUCK when the hitch got caught in the chains and then bumped the car. Luckily I had just started from a stop sign so I was only going about 10 mph and just stopped slowly and re-connected. No damage but BOY scared the POOP out of me! Since then I ALWAYS check, double check and LOCK my hitch in all places!!!

I never greased the ball until I started using a stainless steel ball to avoid rust. I found that the ball would unscrew itself without grease, but once I started greasing it I've had no problem. I just use the same grease I use for the trailer bearings. I guess the stainless had more friction in the hitch than regular steel for some reason.

I once sold my little 4x8 trailer to a guy at work.It took a 1 7/8 ball.After switching the ball from my 2 in ball and towing the trailer to work,I forgot to switch back to the 2 in ball.

When did I remember that I never switched back?

About 40 miles from home while towing the boat.

I pulled off of the road and cranked the wheel down with the hitch latched to see how tight it was.The hitch lifted right up off of the ball.I was near the lake and figured I might as well fish and worry about it when I was done.

After I was done I went over to a marina and luckilly they had an old rusyt 2 in ball lying around they put on for me for a few bucks.

Back