Wounded OIF Soldiers and Marines TX

• Thread starter Carlos Hathcock III
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos Hathcock III

Reaction score
Well,

To say that I am humbled by our Nations warriors giving their all is about as big an understatement that I can make.

There were 17 Wounded Soldiers and Marines that were in attendenance yesterday. A GREAT time was had by all.

SSg Tim Squires was my passenger. He is from North Carolina, very small town that is near Ashville. He is an Army National Guard Medic as his Army job, with his primary job of being a State Trooper Lt. Great guy. He has been in the Guard for 22 years and was in the troopers for 12 years. He is 42 years old! He was a smidge older then I am, and he looks a hell of a lot younger too! That NC living is treating him just right! He has been at Walter Reed for more then a year and a half and is hoping to be complete with his treatment soon.

The whole focus was on the troops that were in attendenance. The BBC (Bass Boat Central web page) contingent met at the rest area at Woodbridge and linked up to head North to Colunbia Island Marina. We arrived at the launch and were the first to put in. We then proceded to help setup the area get ready for the troops.

We then took them out bass fishing for about 2 hours. Went to the Fort Mcnair wall area. My baot did not get any bass then. After that time was up we went back for some good chow and had a small rest.

Tim was having a good time and relating some stories to me on his experiances. What stands out out of all of the stories, is how grateful and blessed he is for what he has. He said that he feels bad that he was hurt, but that he knows there are others that are more hurt then he is or was. Man, I tell you what, that makes my eyes misty just thinking about it. We did not go bass fishing in the afternoon. We took a container of chicken livers out to and went over to a bridge right close by. We started to fish with them and he was just wearing them out!!! He caught more then 20 catfish in about and 1 1/2 hour period. I was so busy, he wore me out jumping around the boat!!!!

We weighed our five big fish and that good for 13.6 lbs of catfish and he had a ball! He came in 8th place and won $150.00 in giftcards to Wal Mart and $20.00 giftcard to Sports Authority. He also won a Spro Rod and a Guest Hat.

I will attach some pics here real quick.

God bless our Nations Warriors.

Carlos

Here are a few pics

SSg Tim Squires and the MoNkEy BoAt

100_0308.jpg

Toxic and his lunker in the practice period before the TX
100_0306.jpg

The Bass Boat Central Crew. You can tell that I am retired now, I am the only one with my shirt untucked!

100_0322.jpg

Now let me folloup on the winner.

I am pretty sure that he is a Marine. He won with 21 lbs and change of fish.

100_0319.jpg

He has lost parts of both legs and was helped to get in the boat by others. He is the what represents the best of our Nation. I really do not know what else to say, except that he is a stong man, more wise then his young years show.

Here is the 2nd place winner with 20 lbs of fish. The young lady in the picture is the one that donated the tee shirts and the plaques. Notice she is a BIG Guest supporter!!! The guy on the right of the retired Army 1stSgt that was the president of the NOVA bass club that did did the initial setup of the TX.

100_0318.jpg

Carlos

Thanks so much for the pics Carlos. I'm so glad you all had a great time, especially the troops. A few of us were quite worried about the weather and prayed it stayed ok. I've got to admit more than one tear in my eyes reading what you wrote. Thanks to you and all the others that did such a wonderful thing.

Bill

ps, I hope that huge snake in the picture didn't get Toxic.

.You Guys deserve Credit for what you have done also..........It takes a special group of people to do what all of you have done for these Men,They deserve more than mere words for what they have given up...Being a Vet myself I know what appreciation Is...Thank You All for the things you are doing for the disablied Vets,, And Carlos thank you for what you do everyday..Being Retired just means you can stop getting haircuts..You are still ready to go....

Thanks.JR:)

Carlos, Tox...

You guys humble us all... Thanks for doing for them some of what we should ALL be doing all of the time...

Believe me guys, seeing the fun that Tim was having was more then worth it. Bill, I was also worried about the weather, but it was GREAT. Not too hot and not too cold!!!!

Funny one with the snake in the pic!! HAHAHAAH

Tox, I sent you copies of the pics to your home address.

Carlos

That was a wonderful thing you guys did. I'm sure the vets appreciate it it more than they could express. Guys that have seen the real action and live to tell about it are usually pretty reserved about talking about it. In Big Russ & Me by Tim Russert a book I reccomend that everybody read, he was talking about his fathers burn scars from an airplane crash he was in in WWII. His dad would never talk about it until finally one time when Tim was a young man he asked his dad, "Wasn't it pretty tough on you?" Big Russ replied, "It was a lot tougher on the guys that didn't come back", and that was all he would ever say.

Harpo

What a deal Carlos. If they have something here like that I'll be there in a flash. Sounds like a good time for everyone. We can't do enought for these people. I was coming back from Florida several weeks ago and people in the airport would go up to the guys in uniform and shake their hands or wave and smile to them. A big change from 35 years ago.

Way to go.

fatrap

Sorry I could not make it, I would have loved to have helped. Some of you that have been here a while have read some of the stories I have told about my friend Charlie Mason. Charlie was a tunnel rat in vietnam, he lost half of both legs and one arm when he tried to return a grenade to it's original owner. Charlie is a piece of work but don't get me wrong.

I look at life with a new light since I met Charlie 20 years ago. I will post a msg later about Charlie.

BF

Right on Bill..I came back the first time In 66 not the best reception...75 was a wee bit better..People can't let that happen again...With People like Carlos and his men It never will.............

Wow. Great story Carlos. Somebody should submit this to Bassfan or BASSmasters magazine...

Craig

ESPN was there filming, not sure actually when it will air.

Latest posts

Back