Tournament Fishing again

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Corson

Reaction score
Not sure if some of you guys knew, back a couple yrs ago, i had to do 2 things, that were very difficult for me to do. Times were tough, as i was losing my job, and struggling to make ends meet. I came to the conclusion that, i could not live in my boat, and the pmt on my '03 Silverado was too much due to my own doings but anyways, i let both go back. The boat (2004 Nitro 882DC), was about 1/2 payed for. Broke my heart to do it but had to. The wife gave me her '02 Chevrolet Avalanche, when the truck went back. Anyways, to make a long story, shorter, over the last year or so, i found out alot of my fishing buds, really weren't my buds, as most of them, not once asked me to go fishing with them, even tho, i had helped them out over the years but anyways, was talking to 1 of my old Tournament partners, and his son is not returning to fish with him this coming season, and i have fished and been a member in this club before, so i'm hooking back up with him. He has a Triton BassMasters Classic , i believe its a 20'. Very nice boat. Has a 225HP on it. If i sound excited, its because i am. Looking forward to getting back out fishing Tournaments again. Will have to replenish my arsenal, as basically all i have are SENKOS,SENKOS, and more SENKOS. And a couple crankbaits that we used one day prefishing a lake and literally killed them. Paul & his son, fished the tourney there and won it hands down. Any suggestions on diff baits to have? Paul probably has all the tackle we'll need but want to stock up.

I'm a spinnerbait kind of a guy so, double willow in white, chartreuse, and white/chartreuse. I always keep it basic when fishing from someone else's boat, never more than five rods and one tackle box. I fish a draw series and drew a guy who brought four tackle boxes and I swear about fifteen rods, you do not want to be "that" guy, I could't hardly get to the cockpit of my own boat. I'm a nice guy but he had more rods and tackle than I keep in my boat.

Okay rant over, but to answer your question spinnerbait.

Jigs!! one of few baits that always work any time of year. Good to hear you are on the up and up and back on the water. I wish we were closer, I have been needing a tourney partner.

Jim, do me a favor, either PM me or email me your address. I will drop some stuff in the mail for ya to get ya kickstarted again. Do you still have all of your rods and reels and just need lures?? Let me know and I can help ya out a bit. [email protected] is my email.

LOL @ TEE...... Pretty much the truth too. Not really a jig user. I have used them but i should say, not really a finesse bait fisherman. Tim1010, You've got mail.

Try a New Hampshire version of the Alabama Rig. We're only allowed three baits on one line in Tennessee, so my buddy has been making some of those. They have been working really well, but i've so far only been able to talk him out of one. Check your state regs., the five-wire Alabama Rig may be ok to use there. If so, you can get them online.

Not positive but think more than 1 line is illegal. Reminds me of hornpout fishing..LOL

For all of you wanting to use the Alabama Rigs and its not "legal" in your state with 5 swimbaits tied on, you can use the two swimbaits and simply put on willow blades on the other arms to imitate the shad as well. Just my two cents from a state that only allows 2 hooks/bait.

Just put everything together for you and packed it up. Hopefully you can use it all. If there are things you do not need, please just give them away to another angler. Hope this helps kickstart some fun and good fishing for you. Good luck with everything, GOD bless and HAVE FUN!! Please be careful in opening the box and taking the items out. There are some loose lures in there that I could not fit into the boxes.

Hope it helps out!

Hornpout..... Ain't heard that in years! Brings back pleasant memories; thanks Jim! We call'em catfish down here, and they get a little bigger. My mother was from NE and when visiting Grandma we fished the farm ponds for "hornpout" using bacon, or hotdogs, or doughballs.:D

Good idea about the willows; I'll pass it on!

Jim,

Congrats on finding your way back to NH waters. All i will add is if you are fishing local clear water lakes in your neck of the woods. SPIDER JIGS!SPIDER JIGS!SPIDER JIGS!

smaller swampy lakes, stick with the Senko.

Good luck

GregD

Thanx Greg, Yes, i am excited to be getting back into the club and especially to be able to get out fishing on a regular basis. Like i said, i'm not really a finesse fisherman, except when it comes to Senko's, and i guess, jigs are fished basically the same way. My confidence bait is definately the SENKO tho. But my partner usually has something for every type of situation. I'll get back to getting a better arsenal of baits, as i go along. I only have 1 rod/reel set up for the moment. I broke 1 pole and before i found out about the club, i sold my Daiwa TD Sol baitcasting reel. But, i'll get back there, little by little. And another BIG THANKYOU TO TGRIFE :)

Latest posts

Back