Who else makes this kind of boat besides Tracker?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
My father-in-law is really getting serious about replacing the "Redneck Bass Boat" (a highly modified, yet quaintly jury-rigged, 16-foot Tracker Sportsman jon boat).

His choices are something like the Tracker ProCrappie 175 (which is pretty much the best boat like it out there), or...

A Targa 17 or Targa 18 (maybe a Deep V17, but not likely).

My question is, <i><b>Who else makes a deep-V boat that fits these criteria:</i></b>

ALL WELDED .100 or thicker aluminum construction

Walk-through windshield

17 to 18 feet in length

Flooring can either be wood or aluminum (doesn't matter)

MO - On the Pro Crappie style Triton and Fisher all came out with a similar model after Tracker. None of the others have as safe and open walkabout space. I still like the Tracker layout the best (seriously).

I guess the difference on the Pro Crappie and the Deep V/Targa boats is truly the Deep V hulls. I know that Starcraft, Kodiak, Lund, Crestliner and more make the typical DeepV walleye style boat.

If... If I were looking at a modified-V "Jon Boat" of any type... I would strongly consider DuraCraft boats... They will impress you if you ever look at one...

http://www.duracraftmarine.com/

and also Clark Boats

http://www.clarkboats.com/ The Premiere river flat boat... The absolute best in that category...
http://www.duracraftmarine.com/

Why a Jon boat? Most all the modV's these days will go in water as skinny as a Jon and have the added benefit of a good ride. Jon's are O.K. if your duck huntin' or goin' down the river but, they're not made for any big water.

TEE

No, no, no, no!!!

I'm not asking about jons or mod-Vs.

If he goes with a mod-V, it will be the Pro Crappie, thanks to all of Treps good information. He's getting rid of the jon because it just beats you to death in rough water.

But he's also considering something along the lines of a Targa 17 or 18. His buddy is trying to steer him towards a Crestliner, but I know there are a whole slew of companies that make deep-V, decked out fishing boats like the Targa.

We're looking for the names of those companies in addition to Tracker and Crestliner that make an all-welded deep V with a walk-through windshield configuration.

MO

Mo... look at the Duracraft... they will make the mod-v procrappie hull or they will continue the v all the way back and Clark will make anything you want...

Not sure about all welded, but how about Lund? Also Princecraft....if you can find a used one.

MOFish-

I've heard Lund is the "best" tin boat.

Bother-in-law has had the same lund 16' V for 15-16yrs.

Last a long time--few hull problems.

Higher price then Tracker.

If you and your father-in-law would come over to KC. -- Will take you-all out on my 03 Targa 18sc.

Just let me know--

HaleDamage

They all got their problems. Granted, some more than others. Where you gonna wind up in the "crap shoot"? Goes for cars and trucks too! Wanna hear some Lund bashing? Visit walleyecentral web site.

Lund comes highly recommended. But he wants something that's all welded. Even though Lund has a lifetime warranty on the rivets, he still doesn't want to consider a riveted boat.

We're down to a short list, including Tracker, Crestliner, Fisher, Duracraft, SeaArk and Waco.

By the way, does anyone know who makes an aluminum boat with "VIP" stenciled on the side? There is a VIP company that makes fiberglass boats, but they don't have a tin boat in the lineup.

Latest posts

Back