what would you do in this situation?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEFF WHITE

Reaction score
anyone see the post on BFHP about the tournament fishing and helping a boater in distress?or broke down?read it and tell us what you would have done?

me,ive towed 2 people in off lake ontario in the past 6 yrs,1 was a 17ft inboard who ran out of gas next to shore in 1-3's.wanted me to tow him 6 miles down the lake in the 1-3's.no way,pulled him into where i was launched,took him up with my truck to get his trailer,and to show me his gratitude,gave me $30.i gave him a few words of advice,a good lake map,a gps,and a fuel gauge that works!

another was the last trip up,water was 54 degrees,a water lice(jet ski scum) with 2 kids on it,well,kids to me is 15-18 tr old,the 2,a boy and a girl,were in the inlet to the pond,when they yelled to us,they were on the lake side of the pond and kind of drifting out into the lake,well,threw the tow rope to them and towed then a mile to there house,boy did his dad rip into him,since he wasnt supposed to be out that far,as they were getting ready to put it away for the year,got a thank you from the kids mom and dad.

i would tow anyone in,as long as it didnt endager me,my boat,or the rescuees!someday i might need a tow!ive had the hood of my 90 adjusting the idle speed in the lake and have 3 boats stop and ask if i need help,and not charters,had them just pass by.

i think i heard its a law if youre a guide and see someone in need of help,you have to stop and render any assistance to the people.rob,can you answer this one?

we have towed in a number of people, mostly families in pleasure boats that had various "difficulties".

1 out of gas 3 miles from the nearest marina on a stretch of the Ky that only had 1 with a pump, 3 others on our home "lake" with different problems.

1 gentleman was a fellow bass fisherman pre-fhishing when his lower unit went out, towed him 3-4 miles to the ramp he had launched at.

Still remember the night (after dark, around midnite) our cranking battery died. Me and the wife using the trolling motor trying to get to the nearest marina for help. Runnign lights dead. Her holding a flashlight (the little ones you use to help you see to tie a line) making sure all the tourney guys that were just passing us by didn't run into us. Guess they had to make it to the weigh in.

One of these day's they'll learn.

IF'n I can be reasonably sure of the situation and safety factors, I allways stop to help.

I always check to make sure what they need. If I'm not comfortable rendering aid, I will go get some (or take them to it).

I've helped several people on the water in distress and I've had folks help me. Sort of a maritime thing I guess. One time however being helpful was very costly to me. My partner and I were having a great day fishing a local buddy tournament when a fellow competitor hailed us for help. There was about 25 minutes left and quite a few miles back to the weigh-in site and they couldn't get their engine started. I allowed one fellow to climb aboard along with their fish. I got him to the weigh-in just in time. His lousy day turned out pretty good because he had the winning weight. As for my partner and me our good day went lousy because we ended up in second. To this day I can't remember if we ever went back to get the other guy still waiting with the broken down boat.

Bear

I have towed two boats in. One was at a lodge we stay at and they couldn't get their motor started, the other was local, out of gas, towed to marina. The lodge owner gave us one day free rental on the boat, the second guy thanked me and offered to top off the tank. It was a short tow, so I said your welcome and don't worry about it. I figure if you spend enough time on the water you will eventually need a tow, and I want to tally enough points so I don't have to wait long!!

Rich D

I didn't see the post - I don't go to BFHP any more because of the pop-ups.....

I have always stopped to help others and will continue to do so at all times and lend a hand in any way that I can - within reason.

me!

Jeff, it's not a law that I am aware of. Many people hear of the good samaritan law in VT and think it's applicable in NY. I have always stopped to help as a courtesy. Also, some day I may need the help. I have towed at least a dozen boats off, one time a 30+ foot sailboat, into the wind with my Super Guide and 40HP, WAS that ever interesting. It's a courtesy thing. It doesn't take but a few dollars in gas and a little time but the reward of knowing you did something good is reward enough. If it was a dangerous situation, I would put the people in my boat and let the lake have it's way with theirs. Too bad, boats can be replaced, people can't. You can't navigate ulgy water with a dead stick boat in tow. Time to cut the losses and get out of there. My .02

There may not be a law..but to me there is a personal moral imperative... And, lo and behold, when I lost the "brain" in my motor...it wasn't but two minutes and a good samaitan appeared to tow me to a launch and see that I got help. I guess not all paybacks are a XXXXX. My choice in a tournament would be "relative"...if the hapless sailor was in peril...no question I would help in any way possible... If there was a reasonable prospect that I could get to the weigh-in leave my fish and return while the individuals in the boat were totally safe... I would do that... I would take any scared kids and others off the boat and with me...capacity plate notwithstanding... No weigh-in is worth someone's safety....

Since I don't fish T's I can't talk to how I would handle a situation involving $$. But the VERY first day I took my VERY first boat (12ft deep v with a 5hp) out in Galveston bay in January (air temp around 50, it was COLD!) the outboard died at the second spot! I paddled over to a 40ft cruiser anchored in the cove and asked WHEN they were ready if they could tow me the 1 mile back to the ramp. The captain was in a wheel chair and his wife helped me tie up to the back of the boat, they invited me into the heated cabin for hot cocoa and towed me back! Last year on my way to fish one Friday afternoon I spotted a beached (on a sand bar in the middle of the lake) pontoon. Cruised over and gave the guy a ride back to his house (1/2 mile each way) to get a gas can and then took him to a floating fillup station and deposited him back on the boat and waited till he got it started and off the sand bar.

I'll tow anyone if it is safe for both of us. If their boat is too big or dangerous weather to tow from my 17fter, i'll help them anchor or beach and drive them for help.

I do believe in what you do to others will come back to you!

I once towed a ski-boat upstream about 2 miles in the river here...with my 14 footer with a 25hp! Used most of my 5 gallons of gas to do it...Nary an offer from the 'intoxicated' owner to defray the cost of the tow.

I'll always stop and see if stranded folks need help...

Except maybe jet skis...LOL...(anyone else think there should be a bounty on them? hahaha)

Stopped for a pontoon boat one time in a small local lake. The guy said he thought he had sheared his prop pin...I offered a tow back to his dock...He said that he could make it and proceeded to run that little 25ish motor at super high RPMs to push that pontoon with the force of the exhaust!!! That motor HAD to be toast when he was done...

Pride is a powerful thing!

az

When I was about 12, my dad and I were out fishing on his 16' aluminum deep V with a 40HP Johnson. The weather started to turn on us and we headed back to the launch. About two miles from the launch, the motor died, we were out of gas. As the weather started looking really nasty, a guy saw us rowing toward shore and stopped to see if we needed help. When we told him we were out of gas, he pulled out a three gallon can of "emergency gas" that he kept in his boat. He said that he had something similar to him happen several years before and always kept an extra fuel can. My dad tried to pay him for the fuel but he refused and told us that we better get going to the launch. We thanked him and went on our way.

Well, I have my own boat now and have a place to keep "emergency fuel". I have helped other people that are having problems on the water and will continue to do so. While I have never incurred any real cost for helping someone, I have had people offer to compensate me for towning them in or givng them gas etc. I tell them the story above and say that they need to offer thanks to the guy that helped my father and I out decades ago. I also leave them with the thought that someday they can return the favor to me or someone else that may need their help...

When I'm on the water, I will attempt to assist anyone that is having a problem, to the extent that I can assist. However, if someone wants to be towed a great distance (10-15 miles), then I'm probably going to offer a comprimise. Haul them (person) to their car so that they can trailer to a nearer ramp; haul them somewhere (person) where they can get the help 'they' desire.

The only time I 'might' do something different, is if I'm in a critical time situation, whereby I may agree to 'send help' back to them.

One big factor here is what help that they will agree to. I'll always offer my cell phone, if needed.

Recently, we launched at a close by lake, where someone was standing next to his 'waiting to launch' rig, looking forlorn. It was early, and several others had already launched their boats while I was preparing. To keep it short, he locked his truck with the motor (truck) running, and couldn't get in. Couldn't figure out what to do. I offered the cell phone, and he called his wife. He returned the phone when finished and was very thankful. That's all it took. He gave us a big high five across the water when he got launched, about 30 minutes later.

Tex

I fish on Lake Erie a lot. I can't remember how many times I've towed someone into sheltered water. The water has been anywhere from calm to 4-5 footers.

I believe it's everyone's duty to provide help if requested, even if it's just to make a call for a bigger towboat.

RoyC

I have both towed and been towed. I always offer some cash but no one ever takes it, nor do I when others offer.

I was towed into the weigh-in at one tourney this year, in the nick of time. Thought I was gonna waste a nice limit of Bass after my starter went bad on me. And it is not every day I have a nice limit!

Uh Corey.....don't you have that little rope pulley thingey for when your starter goes out......I'll bet you do now!! LOL

TOXIC

Tox, you ever try to "yank" start a v-6 outboard???? It ain't easy buddy! Especially if you're talking a 225!!!

Rob,

Can it be done? Nope never had to do it. Is it easier than paddleing back in? I don't have the rope and I was reading in the Merc owner's manuel that I should have it.

TOXIC

Tox,....you'll never pull start a 225.....don't even bother with the rope....it's not even long enough to hang yourself with!!..LOL

Mac

My partner and I was in a fishing tournament at Choke Canyon two years ago in his old '81 Glastron 165 with Johnson 115. His starter went out on the end of the day, and we're far into the woods - no one can see us to help. So, I jumped up and start to pull the motor. Man, 4 cylinders motor is HARD to pull and let alone the motor is VERY old which may require many pulls to kick it. When I started to pull, the rope snapped in half due to age... I told Chris, this motor is $%#@ and buy a new one! I fixed the half rope with new knot and keep on pulling - much shorter pulls and had to start pulling from side to back to get a full revolution. After many pulls, the motor didn't start. I got frustrated due to time's running out for weigh-in as we both has nice bags of bass to be wasted! So, I tried one last time with my feet against the motor, my back on the back deck and pull with my legs kicking hard against the motor - it started right up! we ran out of the timber and ran over several stumps which banged his props and ran out to the dock - got there with one minute left. The following week, Chris went and sold the boat and got himself a new G3 boat... I thought it was funny when I looked back...

I've been towed before three times - once by a dealer that I KNEW as he was out on the lake with his customer. Two times out of gas, and once due to bad computer pack.

I have pulled my friend's Tracker aluminum boat (I believe it was a 17') from the beach and broke his transom. We were fishing at Sabine Bay, and camped out on the beach inside the jetties. I decided to anchor my boat 5 feet deep and slept in it which turned out to be a wise choice. John decided he don't trust the anchor and tied the boat to the beach side post. In the morning, there, his boat's sitting on the beach out of water and my boat is 3 feet above. We had to pull it out rather than to wait for next tide to raise which was not happening until the morning the next day. His transom cracked a little (found out later) when I pulled his boat out (I was using 19 ft Cajun with 130hp) at full power. That's the only time I helped someone out - and I will help anyone out on the water, on the ramp, or off the ramp without hestitation - except for weather permitting.

- matt

One occasion fishing Lake Malone in Ky I didn't limit the help to people; my wife and I came upon a young duck caught on a hook from a limb line and its mother was nearby creating a ruckus. We pulled up not knowing whether we would be flogged or not and released the young duck which flew to its mom; it was a good feeling when they swan off together .. wish they would eliminate these unattended lines.

Just caught this post......

In the waters that I fish (and yes Rob, the same can be said about your waters) it can get to be a life or death situation. I feel that all anglers (in a tournament or not) need to look out for other boaters regardless of whether you like their particular "style" of boating....ie. jet ski's, tuna boats, cruisers....etc.

Remember that helping does not always mean a tow. A call to a towing service, the USCG or Marine Sherrif with your cell phone and your GPS position can speed up a rescue immensly, AND you have helped the distressed boater out. You dont need to put yourself and your eqiptment in danger to lend a helping hand if you are properly equipped.

I probably average a tow a season and from some pretty strange craft. Most of the time if I do tow someone, it is in a fellow competitor in a tournament OR I am not in a tournament myself and I have the time.

This past years tow was an interesting one that had a few eyebrows raised to say the least....heading in for the weigh-in on the second day of our Greater North Championship (www.gntfish.com) a friend and his partner were stranded. He apparently could not get his outboard (brand purposely omitted) above idle as he had fouled some plugs. We were approximately 11 miles from the ramp and had about 30 minutes to get there. I asked him if he had good fish, and he did. About 18.5 pounds with one pushing 6. We debated on putting his fish in the boat and taking one of the guys to the weigh-in, but after some quick calculations I decided we could tow em in and make it. Then he wouldnt have to worry about going back for his partner and his boat.

Now I am not condoning this type of activity to anyone, even the more experienced boaters, since we had the proper equiptment to do this we did......with a 3/4" dia rope about 60-70 feet off the starboard boat tie down on the transom we proceeded to tow a 522 Ranger with a BassCat Cougar at an average of 38 MPH for 11 miles....we even hit 45 mph GPS on occasion. Boy did we get some looks from the guys fishing near the ramp as we flew by, both boats on plane, HUGE black rope between us and 5 minutes to go in the tournament!

Well to make the story worth while.....they ended up with the third biggest sack of the day (three day tourney) and won Big Bass for the day and the entire event with a 5.91 smallmouth. We got a round of applause as he thanked us on stage and handshkes from almost every competitor that saw us....one guy even said that I klived up to my name "maniac" with an "i".....lol

It was worth the risk for a good friend to do that, but I probably would have done it even if I didnt know them AND they had good fish that late in the day....

Mini

I'll remember that the next time you fly by me at 90mph and flip me off!!!...LOLOLOL...

J/K

Mac

And like I was worried about you????? I wasnt leaving....heck it was 10:00am......PLUS you landed on Canadian soil....I wasnt about to do that whole customs thing......lol

You know we would have gotten you back Mac (after all I always got your back big dog).....they had too many hot dogs at the weigh-in and I needed help eating them all!

Mini

hahahahaaha.......I wasn't even thinking about that day...i forgot about that,....heck i was just firin' you up!!!..I was NEVER worried about you guys taking off and leavin us in Marine City,...I was more worried about coming up with a believable story to tell sluggo's wife why I had to kill him cuz he wouldn't quite whinning all day!!! LOLOL!!!

I know when you're in the hood,...by back is covered!!

Mac

Would she really miss him? She probably wouldnt even know he was gone...LOL

Mini

Latest posts

Back