What will $10000 get me ?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Dallaire

Reaction score
2 years ago I bought a 1996 nitro 170 dc in mint shape with a 75 tracker on the back . Its obvious I can get a way better deal on a boat if I cross that border and head to the states . I had an offer of 10k on my boat yesterday . I was curious what I could get boat wise for that kind of money in the good ol U.S of A .

Just wanna get my facts straight before I bring this up with my wife . I am looking for newer not bigger . Faster would also be nice .

John

If someone offered me 10K on a 1996 170DC with a 75 on the back, I wouldn't have even thought twice about it. I'd have an empty garage and 10 grand in my pocket.

In 2005, I sold an excellent condition, fully loaded Cajun 18 footer (Pro 178) with a Johnson Faststrike 150 on it for $7,000. Hotfoot, jackplate, Lowrance electronics, Minn Kota Maxxum, etc....

So if someone were to offer me $3K more for a boat with half the horsepower 5 years later, I wouldn't have even thought about it.

If you shop around, $10K will buy you a nice rig. I saw a slightly older (but not as old as yours) Triton 20 footer with a 200 Optimax go for that a while back. It needed a bit of cleaning up, but it was loaded out fairly well, and topped out at about 68 mph.

There is a lot you can get for your money - if you do your homework first. By that, I don't mean internet - I mean looking over the potential rigs with a fine toothed comb. Have the engines checked out by a reputable mechanic. After all, that's the lifeblood of the rig. Don't take chances with that portion.

All the best,

Glenn

I paid $9500 for my 2000 Nitro nx882 with a xr6 150 on it. The boat was loaded up and had less than 50hrs on the motor. I bought it from a friend of my dad...he was 78yrs old and only used it to fish local tourny's. He had it serviced and detailed for me at the local dealership, which he paid for. As Glenn said, look around and you will find some nice deals on some good rigs.

Eric

Thats ten g's Canadian right? That's a good price. Three years ago I sold a 93 RC 170 DC with a 90 rude on it for seven grand US dollars. Mine was exceptional.

fatrap

Latest posts

Back