What pound line do you use?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I usually string my baitcasters with 10-12lb PLine. I throw mostly crankbaits (Rebel 200-300) and Rat-L-Traps (1/2 ounce) on this line. I usually have 8-10lb PLine on my spinning reels for plastics, mostly worms and grubs.

This TN guide was working a show at Bass Pro and convinced my to string my baitcaster with 6lb x-tra strength PLine. He said it is as strong as the 12lb but more sensitive.

So, last weekend I am fishing with the 6lb line and hooked a really nice smallie. I got him to the boat and of course I didn't have the net out. I could see him and I was reaching down to get him out of the water and he broke the line off. I would guess he was 5 to 6 lbs. I was sick about that one. Glad no one was around to hear my creative language!

Anyway, it made me wonder if I am fishing with heavy enough line. I don't fish alot of heavy grass or lillys because there arent many in my lake in TN. Just alot of rock.

Suggestions?

Personally my son and I only use spinning rods (I can see the eyes rolling in some of you all) and we use 8lb test in bad stuff and 6lb when fishing ponds. We use 6lb in the ponds so we can throw unweighted rubber worms into the weeds without any of the weeds catching on the worms. We have tried heavier line but it is too much of a problem with memory on the spinning rods. This has served me well for 35 years now and my son well for 12 years. Yes once in a while a big one may breakoff and at the time it seems horrible, but life goes on.

6-lb test is okay for smallies on spinning rod. Heck, Ray Scott caught a line test record largie on 2-lb test line. One issue is the landing. A smallie can't have any fighting strength left during the landing when using the smaller test lines. A quick twitch and they're gone. Rocks will provide you with a lot of tiny nicks that can break at the most inopportune times. Check your line and re-tie often. Also, your line could have been weakened during the knot tie if it wasn't wet enough. And finally, some time stuff just happens. You are to be commended for your application of the "ultimate catch and release" technique. A perfecto would be due you if the hook hadn't gone, too!

8 lb mono on spinning (senko, worms, etc), 12 lb mono on baitcasters, braid on jig/rat rod.

Teri

I use 10 XT on both crankin sticks. 12 low viz on my worm stick, 14 on pig n jig and 8XL on all finise spinning rigs except one with 6pound braided. Crappie rigs are 4 to six pound. Flippin and pitchin 40 pound braid. My two line counter troller rigs have 10 pound and one more counter rod and reel with leadcore. I requently retie after removing 3 to 4 feet of line and respool as needed.

fatrap

Yep, rocks can make 6# test turn into 0# test really quick. all it takes is one little knick and its over. I fish a lof of deep rocky lakes( like winni in NH, a deep glacial rocky lake) and the lightest i ever go is 10# and thats only on spinning rods. Depending on where in the lake im fishing i go up from there. For pen water baits like spinners i run 12# I also use that for light jogs and tubes. For heavier spidergrubs and jigs i step it up to 20#. For Carolina rig i run pretty much exclusivly 40# braid and a 15# leader.

one thing with rocks regardless of line size is you have to check it constantly for knicks and fraying. I got into the habit of checking it after every fish and every 5 or so casts, I find most oof the fraying comes in the last three feet or so before the lure if you are fishing the bottom. When it gets frayed i retie and be done with it. I loose a lot less fish now ten i used to to broken line since i got into that habit.

Teri,...If you're going to drop down to 6lb line on a btcstr,....i'd HIGHLY recommend you move up to a 7 or 7 1/2 ft med or med light rod to compensate for the lighter line. The rods action will act as a shock absorber and put less strain on the light line. Also,..make sure you back off the drag setting too.....you'll want a much lighter setting so the fish can work against the longer rod and pull line easier from the reel...and make sure you hold the rod at a higher angle and/or more perpendicular to the fish ALL THE TIME, so the fish is fighting the rod, and NOT the line.

BPS makes a GREAT Pro Light rod and Btcst reel series designed specifically for 6-10lb line. I'd highly recommend that too. I use the pro-light reel a lot in the spring w/light weight jigs and it works GREAT!! (I spool it w/8lb Excel).

The best advice i can give you though if you don't want to spend any money, is to use a longer and more limber rod. That'll help eliminate the break-offs a LOT!:wub:

Good Luck me'Love!!

MacDaddy

six pound line is plenty in open water

go to eight pound if you need more power for hooksets (heavier hooks)

light wood with small fish or light grass 8 - 10

heavy grass with light baits or pitchin' docks 10 - 14

heavy grass with heavy baits 14 - 20 or braid

that's my general guideline for the clear lakes I fish (Pickwick, Kentucky, and Bay Springs) and I don't have problems with the line breaking unless I do something stupid

forgot to add - I use XPS flourocarbon for almost all applications

Someone actually told you that 6lb xxstrong was as strong as 12 pound? And you beleived him? For crying out loud woman.....if you wqant a strong line, use P-Line. If you want to land more fish, use XPS Mono. For your application green 8 pound test will work great. I use 6-14 pound (mostly 8 or 10).

Mini

I like to use 10 to 12# on my baitcasters for jerkbaits and crankbaits, and 6 to 8 on my spinning reels for senko's, I use Maxima line, or Seaguar Flurocarbon line, we did just get some Gamma line in at the store I work at part time and I'm going to try it to see if I like it. I still like Maxima the best of all the lines I've tried for strength.

Buzz

You wont be able find a problem (price aside) with Gamma.....good stuff.

Mini

Mini-

The Shimano rep at D and R last weekend gave me a free sample of 10# gamma...

I've had a break-off on a hookset already....palomar knot....

scares me a bit....

az

Nothing but 8# fireline on medium light spinning rigs. Been using this combo for several years now. Only time I break off is when I get lazy after catching a pickerel and don't retie.

Teri, I fish SE lakes similar to what you are fishing.

4lb on light spinning

6lb to 8lb on medium spinning

10lb on light baitcaster

12lb on medium baitcaster

20lb for trolling reels

4 lb mono on spinning combos...but then again, I don't catch 5 lb bass on a regular basis, either.

On my baitcasters, I have 8 and 10 lb. mono spooled up depending on the rod.

If your gonna do battle with Brownfish then, you need 8 to 10 lb. test and only when conditons are very tough will I go to 6 lb.

It makes a HUGE difference:cool:

Mini-

I had 10# on a spinning reel fishing soft plastics...

Drag was 'moderately' tight...but I had hooked other fish that day...and had re-tied...this was a bigger fish too....

The Shimano guy said it was a 'co-polimer' line....is it actually flouro? I know it's tougher than mono...my teeth told me that right away...

az

MUSKIE 65# braid casting 55# braid trolling w/drag set med light--- BASS 10# and 12# floro casting 15# braid spinning----CRAPPIE 4# floro spinning

15# is my #1

17# or 20# sometimes when flipping boat docks, especially if there is other structure underneath.

for heavy flipping I use 50# braid.

Crankbaits get 12 or 14# depending on how deep

Wow....

I guess its because I chase fish with teeth...LOL

Ultralight - 4lb Sufffix - Elite

Spinning Rods for leadhead jigs - 8lb Fireline w/ 10lb mono (Suffix Siege) leader

Spinning rods for slip bobbers - 10lb Suffix Elite

Baitcasters - for crankbaits - 14lb Fireline

Baitcasters - for threeway trolling (rivers) - 20lb Power Pro

Linecounter reels - for trolling - 10lb Trilene XT

Spiining Rods for tube baits - 8lb Suffix Elite (For when I want to catch a bass)

(same rig for grubs)

For kids/rookies closed face Johnson Centuries - 6lb or 8 lb Cajun Red

On a serious note, I listed this to illustrate a point; there isb't just "one line". I pick what I believe to be the "best" (based on all factors considered and which ones have to be compromised) for any given application. I see the same approach by a lot of walleye fishermen.

Andy,

Trust me when I say some of the Shimano FIshing Tour guys dont really fish much.....:)

One thing you must know about any flouro line.....if you kink it, it WILL break at the kink.

Mini

Latest posts

Back