What Pound Test Line Do You Use

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Hamilton

Reaction score
OK - I have been fishing nearly all my life (a long time) and have always questioned the use of heavy pound test line (above 12 lbs) for "normal" bass fishing. I can understand CIII and Mike with their Potomac Kitties and 50 lb braid and kinda understand why pros use a heavier line when big bucks are on the line (no pun intended), but to me the fun is in the "playing" of the fish and boating him or her, and then a quick release.

I only use 8 or 10 lb test line on both my spinners and baitcasters. What do you guys use and why (except for the obvious reasons).

Thanks

Our fish are heavily pressured, so I use 6 lb mono for shakey heads, TX rigged, small cranks... for my heavier jigs, deep cranks, spinnerbaits... I use 10lb test.

Now for Stripers a different story, 20lb test for trolling single bucktails/minnows and 30lb Pline for my Umbrella Rigs

The smallest line I use is 6lb mono for crappie.

The smallest line I use for Bass is 8lb mono,...the largest is 30lb braid (same dia as 12lb mono)

Most of my spinning rigs are spooled with either 8-10-12lb mono or floro or braid, depending on the bait I'm using....

My baitcasters are either spooled with 12-14-17 mono or 30lb braid.

"IF" I had to choose one size line for all occasions....I'd choose 10lb green mono for spinning reels and 14lb green mono for baitcasters.

Hey Bill - I'm like you (and I fish the Potomac too!). I use 10 to 12 pound test on my baitcasters, 8 to 10 on my larger spinning set ups, 4 to 6 on the small spinners. Reason is that the smaller diameter line is easier to handle and tie, and I like to feel the fight and challenge. Not saying that this works for all and if I was a tournament fisherman, I probably would be more conservative on line, etc. But as all I do is fish for fun, that's what works for me.

That all said, I have considered stringing at least ONE set up with heavier line to handle punching through the grass mats on the Potomac in summer with one ounce bullet weights - but the lure of wading in the upper Potomac to catch the bronzebacks usually calls by then!

Fish brush and hydrilla, you'll go bigger. You fish with the smallest line you can get away with. 12lb is typically on most of my reels. Worms, typically 17-20lb, Jigs and frogs typically Braid 30-65lbs. I will throw the jig on 17lb fluoro also depending on conditions.

But I do not typically fish in clear waters either.

Bill

Take me up on my invitaion to fish the Potomac especially from June - October and we'll do some flipping and frogging in the grass and you'll see why the 65 lb braid is necessary.:D In the matted grass even the dinks can break you off with 8 or 10 lb test.

Also, even when throwing a chatterbait, rattle trap or similar bait around the grass heaver line with minimal stretch makes it easier to yank baits free of the grass, which helps create strikes.

That being said I would never fish the "hot side" with that heavy a line or is it necessary for that type of fishing.

Steve

I use 12lb flo blue trilene on everything except pitching'fliopping where I use 20/30lb power pro. I am also curious about color. I use the flo blue because I have a hard time seeing the line if I go with any of the greens/clears. I use yellow power pro and use a sharpie to darken the last 10 feet or so. I see alot of green being used so do people think the green makes a difference?

Before moving to TX, the biggest line I used was 30lb braid.

Before (most often used):

Topwater - 17lb

Worms - 14lb

Jigs - 20lb

Spinnerbaits / Buzzbaits - 17lb

Spinning rods - 10 to 12lb

Frogs - 30 braid

Carolina Rig - 30 braid or 20 mono w/ a 12 to 14lb leader

Crankbaits - 10 to 12 lb

Now: (Ever fish submerged cactus? :eek: )

Most everything has 30lb Spiderwire Invisibraid on it. I put other braids with Fluoro leaders on some stuff. Frogs still have PowerPro 30lb on the reel. Crankbaits - I use a heavier (15 to 20) Fluoro on it. Spinning rods even have Invisibraid 30lb on them.

I've been using PowerPro for years now, and until recently, thought it was the best braid on the market. I had tried Spiderwire before and did not like it. This new stuff is pretty awesome, and I haven't had any issues with it so far. Time will tell though. PowerPro is tried and true, so I still carry some rods rigged with it (especially my frog rod - I love throwing a frog, and PP has never let me down). However, most of those (besides the frog rod) have leaders tied to them, as a lot of the water I fish is pretty clear.

All the best,

Glenn

Worm rods 17-20lb Fluoro

Cranking rods 14lb Mono

I use 50lb braid when I go to South Texas lakes with a lot of brush.

For bass from 6-14 pound flouro, 6-20 pound mono, braid (break strength) 20-65 pound.

I use line at times to either float or sink the bait too. Heavy mono on a rattletrap will keep it higher, small diameter flouro on a crank bait will get it deeper.

the pound test rating on line (for me anyway) is more of indication of WHAT I am fishing, NOT what I am fishing FOR.

Yes I change my line alot and I have many reels spooled up for changes on the fly.

Hi Bill:

I can see the benefits to the Floro line, but I just cant seem to spend the $$ on that stuff. I have tried it in the past but did not like it. I may try it again this year on shakey heads.

Spinning:

8lb floro coated Pline shakey head

6lb mono drop shot

8 or 10 lb floro coated Pline senko

20 lb braid senko on grassy edges / topwater in the light weeds

Baitcasting

12lb mono crankin

15lb Floro coated Pline spinner baits

17lb mono XT Jigs

40lb braid frogs

12lb Floro coated Pline jerk baits

40lb braid w/ 12/15lb leader for c-rigging

15lb Pline big cranks

Mark

the lightest i go on the river is 20 braid, thats only if im fishing an outside or deep grass bed, if im in or over it, 30 braid is the lightest i would go, an d i top out at 50.

on the hot side, i will work the 30 braid in the winter top topwater, but that about it, thought i use 30 braid on the cold side above the reactor all year long.

mike c

Ace - whats a "nasty mesquite's on Falcon"??

4lb. - crappie/trout

6lb. - crappie/dropshot bass

8lb. - t-rig bass/shaky head bass/small jerk and crankbaits bass/crappie in heavy veg.

10lb. - t-rig stain/med. crankbaits/med. jerkbaits/sm. topwater

12lb. - med. topwaters/sm. traps/sm. spbt/ shallow med. cranks

14lb. - mainline c-rig lt. leader/lg. topwaters/3/8+ spbt.

15lb. - flouro - swimbaits/404 Thundershads/chatterbaits/spoonin'

17lb. - c-rig mod. leader/spider jigs/clear water flippin' and pitchin'/big spbts

20lb. - c-rig hvy. leader/stained water flip&pitch/striper fishin'

50-65lb. - braid - for froggin and grass jiggin'

:D

Trep, Falcon lake has a lot of flooded mesquite brush so braid is needed down there.

I have been fishing a long time also as I'm almost as old as Bill.:rolleyes: I invariably use 6lb to 8lb and it's a rare occurrence but I have used 10lb and 12lb. I think 12lb mono is the heaviest I ever used. That's mostly due to my using nothing but spinning reels and some light weight ones at that. I use 8lb yellow for worming so I can see the line. I admit that if I'm fishing grass or lily pads I get a little nervous, however it can be done with lighter line, you just can't horse the fish around. Like Bill I enjoy "playing" the fish also and even enjoy the 'heart attack' feeling you get when you see it's a big fish and wonder about your line.:unsure:

Ray Scott for the past ten years, or longer, has been advocating a "pound" limit on the line the pros can use in their tournaments and I think he's right. I have no enjoyment watching a pro yank a good sized bass out of the water from 15' away into the boat. I believe a full test of a pros ability should be his not only finding the fish, but also being able to land a fish using line and not rope.

If every pro used whatever line was mandated, then it would be equal for all and would also be far more enjoyable watching the fishing shows.

Uncle Billy

Uncle Billy,

That's understandable.... but you couldn't set a single limit - you would have to think about where the pros are fishing. Each lake is different, as there is a difference in not only underwater structure, but also in the individual fish. 6 to 8 lb test on Falcon wouldn't last at all. If it ain't the brush that gets you, it's the fish. I've been told we have "Florida Strain Largemouth" here in TX. I don't know. All I can tell you is that fish seem to fight much harder here than any place I've fished before. Even the smaller fish seem to hit and fight harder.

All the best,

Glenn

Since all of my tournaments are on the Chesapeake Bay this year I tried to keep it simple.

20lb Mono for topwater (just in case I hook a big striper)

30lb Braid on my Frog rod

30lb Braid on my spinning reel, for weightless around docks.

12lb Stren low vis moss green for almost everything else.

6lb Fluro for my drop shot rig. (That I won't use anyway)...LOL

BF

Why couldn't that be done Glenn? If the tourney is on Falcon allow for that in setting what line weight limits could be used for that tourney. Local tackle shops and fishermen like you could be invaluable in helping to set a line limit, right? And then the next tourney could be set up the same way. I don't see a problem. What am I missing my friend?

Uncle Billy

Hey Bruce,

All of your tourneys are in the upper rivers and flats this year? Does that include the Chester, Sassafras and Bohemia? If so, I can try to dig out some copious notes I wrote about fishing up those rivers. They're pretty old but each one was written after a tournament win! Oh well, you might know more than those notes tell as you've been fishing those rivers a lot since I have. If you want though just holler and I'll start looking for them. I hope you do great this year!!

Uncle Billy

I feel kind of strange, I use 12# original stren for everything(baitcaster).:huh:Chris F.

Glenn.....no wonder you have trouble with a dropshot!!:lol:

I have pulled fish out of the grass on the Potomac on 8lb test mono on a dropshot but I have lost some as well. What everybody else does is not relevant to you and the way you fish. It's one of those "feel your way through it" things. All trial and error based on your style.

TOXIC

Baitcaster

15# flouro worm, crank baits

17# flouro rattles , swims

17# mono top and spinner

50# braid for flipping heavy cover

Spinning reel

8# mono jerks and anything too lite to throw with baitcaster

Uncle Billy,

If we are talking about varying the limits on each individual lake, then we are on the same page. If we are talking about saying "No matter what lake we fish on, BASS tournament pro's are limited to 20lb test - period.", then no, we are not on the same page.

Thinking about it further, I don't think I'm in agreement on a line size restriction at all. Sometimes, I'll throw heavier line than normal on in order to restrict my lure from going deeper or faster, or go lighter in order to make it go deeper or faster. Each of these has risks. The heavier line size will probably get me less bites. The thinner line size may cause me more break offs. But it's a trade off, and a decision that I make based on where and what I am fishing.

Years ago, BASS had HP restrictions set at 150hp. The result? Most everyone I knew drove 18' boats with 150hp engines on the back. It was the most popular setup available. What happened when the HP restrictions were lifted? 19',20',21', and even 22' boats became more popular. Engines started popping up everywhere with 200, 225, 250, and even 300hp. The market boomed.

Not saying the same thing will happen with fishing line, but it's a consideration if we go to a "Maximum tournament size" on our fishing line. If braid or heavier lines aren't allowed in tournaments, that type or size may diminish in popularity and therefore be dropped from the offerings from each company due to a reduction in sales volume. Then what do the people who want or need that size of line do?

Another thing to think about is this - The last remaining "size" limit that I knew of in BASS tournaments was the rod length (set at 8' for years). I'm not sure if that is even still in the rule books. But now we are discussing putting line size restrictions. What next? Number of tackle boxes? Number of crankbaits? Number of different worm colors and styles? Why all the restrictions?

How would you feel if they went the other way with this? Something that says "Due to all the popped small diameter / small lb test line that is found in the water, we are now not allowing any tournament angler to fish with any less than 20lb test." :blink: Then what would happen to your way of fishing if that line size dropped in overall popularity and was summarily dropped from the line size offerings? :eek:

My way of thinking - Fish with what you want to fish with and don't impose (or propose) restrictions on others based on what you like or feel should be used. But that is only my opinion. I understand and respect your way of thinking too, even if I don't agree with it.

All the best,

Glenn

Tox,

I've fished 8lb test on the Potomac also - spinning rod using a Senko that was on a wacky rig. I wacked 'em good too! But that was fishing grass edges and channels, or above submerged grass. I had to play the fish and keep them out of the grass. Once they burrowed up in it, I had to go in and get them or I'd lose them every time. It was a race to get to the fish too - too long in the grass, or too deep into it, and they were gone.

All the best,

Glenn

BASS used to have tackle limitations at the classic (and I think they still do) that includes the amount of rods and reels. They do account for spare reels in case one has a breakdown.

As far as I know the 8 foot rule is still in effect.

Yeah, I know for the classic they did - also for the other big coverage tournament... what was it called.... the one where they have spots marked and you only get to fish in each spot for a certain amount of time and then everyone has to rotate to the next spot??? Was that Megabucks, or something else?

I remember the 8 foot rule from when I first started tournament fishing - as all the BASS clubs were "required" to abide by BASS rules and were "supposed" to implement all of BASS' rules into their own by-laws. My club had the 8' maximum rod length rule, so I had a 7' 11 3/4" deep cranking rod that I had built. My buddy talked me into selling it to him at a later date, and then paid me to build him a second one. Those were my last two Lamiglass blanks of that model number, and when I tried to build another one for me (with an improved handle design), I couldn't locate one at all. :( I'm still looking for that "perfect" blank for deep cranking... and I havn't found it in any finished rods yet. I've found "close", but nothing compared to those Lamiglass blanks.

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back