Took a newby out last night!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Walls

Reaction score
Sorry, kinda long, but this is what fishing is about!

A friend of mine has gotten into fishing within the last year. He called me out of the blue Monday night and asked me where to fish as he is having trouble catching anything. As I could hear his frustration I thought why not take him out. I set up last night to go to a lake I can usually catch good numbers with a chance at a bigger fish. As it turned out it has rained that last two days and the water was the color of coffee with cream! We pulled up and again his face showed disappointment. I just looked at him and asked what was wrong? He says that you can't catch anything in conditions like this and that he was looking so forward to this. I just looked at him and said, attitude is everyting, go in thinking you'll catch fish, go with your confidence bait and go find the fish. I look at fishing as a big puzzle and I do crossword puzzles about every day, so in we went. Went to the first area and nothing, went to my second area and nothing. I was trying to explain to him my thought pattern as I went and he really listened. I then took him to spot three and immediately caught a 2lbr. He then catches a 12" and then a 2lbr. He is now stoked! We contnue and catch several smaller fish and I decide to move to another area even though we are catching some smaller bass. He asks why we are moving when we are catching fish. I explain that I would like you to have a chance at a larger fish and while it may happen here, the other area is more like, under the conditions to hold a larger fish or two. We move over to the new area and I immediately catch two more about 17" and then he sets the hook and it heads for deep water. I just sit there and watch him "fight" a 3.25lbr into the boat. He was freaking out to say the least. Largest bass he had ever caught. We fished the rest of the way on the cleaner side of the lake and caught several more with nothing over 2. We went in and he didn't stop smiling, even after I dropped him off. He was begging to buy me dinner, a tank of gas, anything as he was so appreciative. After we left, he said that he was suprised to only see one more bass boat on the lake. I did have to explain that it was a bad night with bad conditions and most would avoid it and go look elsewhere. I am glad we didn't and I think he is now hooked for life! I also taught him some rigging secrets and how to cast a bait caster and skip under trees and docks. Told him to go home, stand on a chair in the yard and practice with his bait caster all three techinques. Bet he stayed up past mid-night doing just that!:p

Great time and I hope all is having tight lines!

Randy

Awesome, it sounds like you may have a new fishin' buddy. :)

Gene

That is fishing fellowship at its' finest! The more people we can introduce to the love of our sport, the longer we'll ensure our sport will be there to love. Great job!! :D

Great story Randy, and great friend you are! Sounds like a great afternoon with a great friend!

Randy, Great story, it brought a smile to my face just reading it. The greatest point though, is someone new to fishing, "A friend of mine has gotten into fishing within the last year". I'm a supporter of take a kid on a fishing/hunting adventure. Even though this person wasn't a kid, we all are "kids at heart" when it comes to fishing.

Dennis

Yes I think I was smiling as much as he was. Even when I would catch a fish he would run up to the front and just watch me.

He left me a message saying he was free for Sunday if I can get away!

Randy!

You just described the perfect guide trip!! At least it is what we aim for!! Whether or not it's a kids first bass, a tournament anglers personal best (or putting him on a pattern that wins the T), or a family out for panfish, it is what we guides live for and the best payback we can get. Too bad all trips can't be like this, I wish they all were.;)

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back