What makes a good crankbait vs jig/worm rod

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Malec

Reaction score
I see more and more rods designed for specific fishing techniques. What's the main difference between a crankbait rod and a worm/jig rod? not that I mind buying more fishing stuff :)

I am certainly not the expert, but here's my opinion...

I like a softer tip rod when tossing crankbaits...that way I don't pull the lure out of the fishes mouth when setting the hook...on the other hand, I like a firmer tip on my jig/worm rod so that I have better feel of the structure on the bottom when finess'ing, but still have enough backbone to rip the jig through some grass or weeds...

just me $0.02 worth,

az

A crankbait rod will have more of a parabolic action,..meaning a gradual consistent sweep from tip to handle when the rod is "loaded" (think "fish on!!") This gives the rod a softer action and makes it less likely to pull the hooks out of a fish's mouth. With a softer action rod, the fish has time to grab the crankbait and get a better hold of it resulting in better and more consistent hook sets. A jig/worm rod has a faster tip and more backbone. It is designed this way to give the angler the sensitivity required (faster tip) to feel the bait as it's crawled over and through structure and cover,..yet it has the backbone (less parabolic curve)required to give a very powerful hookset and pull the fish out of the thick stuff. Some rod company's catagorize their rods by "action" (i.e, Light,...Med/Light,..Medium,...Medium/Hvy,...and Heavy) and other's use a "power" rating,(i.e. 2,3,4,5,6,etc.)..the smaller the number,..the "lighter" the action. A Crankbait rod will usually be a Medium light to Medium Heavy action and a Jig/Worm rod will usually be a Med/Hvy to Heavy action. I use Medium action Crnkbt rods and Med/Hvy jig/worm rods......both are 6 1/2 and 7 feet in length.

Once you learn the differences in techniques and some of the "why's" as to what rod to use for each technique......then picking/choosing the correct rod becomes a little easier. There really isn't one rod that's good for everything,...but if you HAD to choose one rod for the majority of your fishing needs,...then i'd probably pick a 6 1/2 ft med or med/hvy...you can do a LOT with that rod!! Have fun shopping!!

Mac

Great stuff - Thanks for the detail Mac. Up to now I have been throwing both kinds on a 6'6 med/heavy Berkley. A shopping I will go, I shopping I will go.

I think sensitivity is the main differance to me. I'm not so worried about feeling every little thing with my crankbait but with a worm or jig I need all the help I can get. That's where I want to put a bigger investment in the graphite market.

Harpo

One of the big benefits of using a fiber glass rod for throwing crank baits is it takes far less effort to make a long cast with a limber rod such as a glass rod. When you are making lots of casts with a crank bait, your arm will get to hurt'n pretty quickly with a graphite rod. As the others have stated, you don't need the hook set power with crank baits as you do with Texas rigs and jigs. And, a soft tipped rod will be far less likely to yank hooks out with a fighting and jumping bass.

I throw crankbaits a LOT (probably 80% of my tournament fishing). I have fished with a lot of people who are throwing crankbaits at the same time. My suggestion after seeing a LOT of lost fish is this: Unless you are making really long casts, fishing really deep, or really need to feel the bottom perfectly, throw them on fiberglass rods and mono. The fish needs give to get the hooks in him/her, and I see everyone else lose way too many fish because the hooks don't go in initially or they pull free. Try it. You will notice a huge difference.

Latest posts

Back