Wear Your Sunscreen...!!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Smith

Reaction score
I've been holding off sharing this information, until I had a clearer picture of where things were headed for me. Now, armed with a better understanding of my health status I'd like to share with you folks the very scary last couple months I've been enduring.

I finally took notice of a dark spot on my forehead a couple of months ago. I'd had it for approx a year, but kept shrugging it off as nothing. It was no bigger than a pencil eraser. My wife, God bless her, finally motivated me to have it looked at. I visited my primary care physician, who immediately referred me to a plastic surgeon. Neither would commit to what it could be until it was removed and biopsied. I recieved the results last week, confirming my worst fears that it was melanoma. The growth was removed in its entirety with clean margins, however I will be having my second surgery tomorrow to increase the clean margins to 1 centimeter on all sides. There are 4 stages of melanoma, and mine was categorized as a phase 1 (thickness being less than 1 mm, mine was .39). The recovery rate for this category is 99%, however I still must go see an Oncoligist to check for the slight chance that it invaded other parts of my body.

I am still very frightened by this whole ordeal, it does'nt help that I've always had a glass half empty kind of outlook on life.

I've been informed that I am now 600 to 900 times more likely to have a reoccurence than the average person. I've been informed to avoid the sun if possible and to wear long sleeves and pants when fishing along with a hat and sunscreen. I'm also looking at the possibilty of visiting the Dermotoligist every 6 to 12 months for the rest of my life.

So wear your sunscreen, all year, I never started doing it religiously until about a year ago. How foolish of me...!!! I nearly paid for my stupidity with my life..!! I'm not out of the woods yet, but feeling much better after talking with my Dr. today.

Wish me luck in surgery tomorrow...!!!

Man Smitty, you should have let us know though I know why you didn't want to. I'll be praying for you tonight and tomorrow...Good luck!

Bill

Smitty,

Good luck dude.

And now you've got me worried. I've had this spot on my face that appeared about a year ago and has almost doubled in size in the last year.

Doesn't bother me at all, it's not raised up or anything, just a little darker than my normal skin.

Take a look at the pic, on the left (your left, but actually the right side of my face) just to the side of my nose beside my mustache....does that look like yours??? :(

MVM and Bass 009.jpg

smitty.....good luck!

Ken......you'll do anything to post that freakin fish pic....now get to the doctor!!!

Bob G.

Sometimes it's not the boogey man outside the squad car... Glad you dodged the bullet big guy...

Thanks for the info smitty, I'll be wearing my sunblock from now on!

Good luck and keep us updated

Hey Smitty....I can relate to what your are going through. I had a melanoma removed from mystomach last summer. When I got out of surgery I found out the incision was 7" long. They took out a chunk the size of a big weenie to make sure they got it all. The lab confirmed that they got it all.

KEN.......the medics told me that a common mole is usually almost perfectly round with a basically flat top. She said if a mole or unknown spot was irregular is shape or you could detect two colors of red......GET IT CHECKED!

Sure looks funny haveing one side of my belly a hot dog smaller than the other side.

Good luck to you Smitty! I know how depressing this stuff can be. I've had malignant tumors removed from my stomach twice, '99 and last year. I don't think about it much but when I do I get a little low for a while. Hang in there, Hutch

Smitty - Good luck, and thanks for sharing with us. I need to head your advice. I have almost olive skin and typicaly only use SPF 4-6 in the heat of the summer, mostly because I don't burn. I'll start using the wife's SPF 30+ next year.

Neeley - Like Tox and others said, don't be a sissy, get it looked at!

Smitty, Good luck on that. A good friend of mine had a skin cancer on his cheek. It just looked like a little patch of dry skin about the size of a pencil eraser. The doctor told him it went very deep and was close to being very serious. Take care.

Neely, that mark is most definatly the symptoms of being poked by a ten foot pole. ;):lol:

Harpo

Smitty:

Be afraid. It's OK. I've been shot at a lot, survived a head-on collision, near-death pneumonia complicated by congestive heart failure, etc. etc. But when my sore throat turned out to be a malignant tumor on my tonsil at the age of 58, I got scared. I stay scared. I wouild much rather serve a tour in Ramadi that ever hear that again. I'm OK they say. My wife doesn't understand my everlasting anxiety and discomfort with the world now and then. You are now a cancer survivor, and live with it with deep pride and personal, so very personal demons that no one can erase.

But, Thank God for modern medicine, sounds like you'll make it. And don't turn down professional help of a shrink either. No shame there, just relief, even if it's temporary and supported by pill or two. Just do it.

I understand.

jag

I want to know who was brave enoughj to touch Neeley with a 10' pole...

Greg - you were his rommie, it wasen't you??? :lol:

Ken ,

All kidding aside(and I can think of aleast a hundred of them) Get it checked out man ! we need you to stay around for awhile. Life is way to short as it is.

Mark

Neeley,

You should get it checked, there are many variations of melanoma, especially in its early stages. Obviously, the earlier you get checked, the better the outcome. If I understand my Dr. correctly, at 1 millimeter of thickness, metastization can began taking place. There is no cure, only control at that point. According to statistics, 4 millimeters and beyond, no patient has lived past 5 years.....get checked.

Smitty,

My best and oldest friend died last year from melanoma. I'm glad you caught your's early and are being agressive with treatment. I am sure you can beat it, just hang tough.

We will add you to our prayers.

JDJ

Get em' all checked guys....been there and still seeing my dermatoligist!:cool:

As fishermen...we need a regular doc that will familiarize himself with all your spots and will be able to tell by seeing him at least yearly of any changes.:)

Just had one removed from my neck that was carcinoma:huh:

Thanks for sharing this Smitty. Did you ever have problems with sun exposure before? Easy to sunburn? I, like Trep, am dark skinned but have my share of moles. Reading these posts has opened my eyes. I definiteley will seek out a dermatologist.

Neely, I will never make fun of that photo again until you post that you are okay.

TEE probably has the best idea of all, one that should be taken seriously.

Latest posts

Back