Waterproofing boat cover?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carli Drake

Reaction score
What's the best way and best product to waterproof my boat cover? I've had the boat for 5 years and always cover it when it's outside from Spring to Fall. I noticed last year that the carpet was wet in different spots on occasion. Now this year, it seems everytime it rains the inside gets wet including inside the storage areas.....so I guess I need to waterproof the cover.

Haven't looked into it yet so does it come as a spray on or "paint" on or what?

Thanks!

Carli

Tex,

yeah.....gray canvas like material with reinforcements for the trolling motor, pedistal seats, gas cover, etc. Cover came with the boat....says Nitro on the sides...black straps.

Scotchguard....as in Spray cans?

Sorry to be so dumb about this, but never gave it much thought until inside was getting wet.

thanks,

Carli

I too have an older canvas cover I use on my PT185 and I just finished treating it last week. DO NOT waste your money on scotch guard...it don't work for this job. I wasted 3 cans of the stuff. I then bought the camp dry silicone waterproofer at wal mart (the one with the orange cap) and it does the trick! It takes a lot of it though....start with 6 cans and spray it on evenly and overlapping slightly.

My cotton canvas cover now beads water in the rain very nicely and keeps the water out of the boat reasonable well. Sure beats having to buy a new one!

NOTE: I use one of those strap kits under the cover that "tents" the cover over your boat. Bungee down the sides and it makes all the differnece in shedding the water in a rain.

LT

There is a product made by Nikwax for waterproofing cotton canvas called Cottonproof. I have used this product on small items along with some of their other products and they work as advertised. It is important to follow the directions exactly. I mainly use the Tech Wash and TX-Direct Wash-in for my waterproof, breathable hunting clothes with good results. And I'm not a rep of Nikwax, I am always searching for products that work cause I like to hunt and fish!

Bob G.
http://www.nikwax.com

I think the most important thing is to make sure the cover it "tented" up to get the water to run completly off. My cover only leaks when water is allowed to pool on it.

Harpo

Thanks guys! I appreciate your replies and ideas. I'll see if my Walmart has Camp Dry. I wouldn't think they'd have "Cottonproof" but I can check a couple Sporting Goods stores and see.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Carli

Latest posts

Back