Try again - BPS Extreme reel question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Swear that I did this msg a little while ago, but it's not there. Must be them gremlins in my keyboard again.

I am trying to somewhat standardize on my fishing equipment. I have some rod/reel combo's that work, but I'm not satisfied with. Most are regular (opposed to low profile) baitcasters. The 3 abu's that I have are all working very nicely.

The current flyer from BPS for the sale, has several reels that I'm potentially interested in. Also, I may want to go another route (specifically Curado's). Here's the deal.

Since I'm still influenced by cost (doing better, but still pay attention), tend to go for the - good quality (maybe not the best) and good pricing.

BPS Extreme Baitcast Reel (low profile) - comes with BPS extreme rod (free). Cost - 69.99 (save $10 + rod).

If I go this route, I'll probably by at a minimum, two outfits. Maybe three.

Alternately, I may buy 1 Curado and put it on a rod that I already have. Everything I've heard (mostly here), is that the Curado's are really a very good reel.

Comments welcome (though I know that I don't have to ask for them here).

Tex

I would get the 3 BPS rigs. Just me. I tend to shop for clearance items so I get the best of both worlds.....quality AND price. But when the chance comes along, you gotta snatch it. I've purchased 6 rods at a time from wally world when they go on clearance, and offered to buy all 11 Daiwa and Quantum reels I was interested in if they went to $30 each. That's $330 sure, but I would have gotten $815 worth of reels! That way if one quits, I just replace it. You can go thru 4 reels to 1 Shimano rig. It's worth it to me.

i look at it from a different light then Rob does. I like to buy stuff once and never have to buy it again. Thats the main reeason ive gone to all shimano reels( stradics calcutta's and curado's) and all st croix rods. I used to go for the cheaper stuff but i got sick of replacing it every year or two. I have a buddy who gives me crap about spending a little more up front but if you do the math im ahead of the game. he buys new reels every 2 years or so and spends about 75 bucks a peice for the quantum stuff he buys. so say he buys one new reel every two years at 75 dollars, six years from now hes spent $225 on reels. in that same time frame ive spent 120 on 1 curado that will still work as good as new and work better then any quantum ever will. I have some curado's and calcutta's that are going on year 6 and they work BETTER then new with just the normal yearly grease and oil job. I use my stuff a lot too i fish normally 4 or 5 times a week and most weekends are tournies and itreat my stuff pretty hard. i think it makes sence to buy quality stuff the first time around. If you are trying to build your collestion it may take longer ( took me 5 years) but in the end you will have better stuff that lasts and most liley will have spent less money.

Don't get me wrong Jim, I like quality too, which is why you don't find any 2 BB reels in my boat. But I truly believe that there reaches a point when you've purchased all the quality you can get and the rest is margin and name. I love the Wal-Mart FLW spinning reels. 7 BB and smooth. No issues and only $35. You would spend $89-$150 for a comparable reel with Daiwa or Shimano on it. Also, clients tear up gear something fierce, so I can't justify spending that much on a reel that will likely suffer a horrible fate anyway. I believe there are basically 4 levels of quality. Cheap, satisfactory, very good but just shy of top shelf and so minus the top shelf price, and then top shelf. I tend to buy in the 3rd category. Good quality, easy prices to swallow and I stock my boat with about 15 combos. They average about $125 a combo. So at 15 sets thats $1,875 worth. The same thing in all Shimano and St Croix would be around $6,500!!! I can buy 3.5 combos at my price to 1 of the "top shelf" and surprisingly, I have very little problems, so they hold up just as well. I spend the saved $$$ on tackle and GAS as $2.00 a gallon soon.

Rob why do your clients tear stuff up so bad? I can understand where you come from letting customers use your stuff and not wanting to break the bank. I just wonder why they rip it up so bad. I have a friend who runs a guide service in the winter in fla and fishes tournies up here and runs his tackle shop in the summer. He is the one who really convinced me to buy the shimano stuff. thats what he uses for his service and he told me that he hasent had to replace stuff in 5 years. Im not sure what rods he uses for guideing.

Fom the standpoint of a someone like me who dosent run a guide service id rather buy quality stuff and buy it once. I dont think the curado's and stradics are really top shelf stuff. I think they are at that point where when you spend more money that when those reels cost the quality doesnt get any better. you wont find and cronarch's or stella reels in my boat for that reason. the curado and stradic for the money are a very good price vs quality value. When i buy rods i buy only st croix mainly because i like the rods and the actions and they have really taken care of me over the years. Countless times they have replaced rods i have stepped on, shut in locker doors, had brother in law's slam into the ceiling and break the tips, shut in car doors, you name it. they have always replaced a busted rod without question. even on my old premiers that are way out of warranty and the avids i own. im not afraid to use the rods and even abuse them because i know they will replace or repair them.

Another angle that Rob is trying to convey is that as a guide we have to keep gear on board for the Zebco 202 crowd up to the Shimano. Yeah, my stuff is quality but I'm not handin it to a rookie who just might pitch it over the side or bury the tip in the carpet, etc., you only have so much locker space anyway. Best case scenerio....they bring their own gear!!

TOXIC

tex,

wasn't aware of the extreme rod n reel combo for $69. That is an awesome deal. for me, i've kind of settled on falcons and curados which make good combo's and hold up pretty well (so far except a rod guide that I probably stepped on) and all stars and curados. I figure the curados are kind of the 'standard' for which a lot of the baitcasters are measured as the quality, performance, and good value when you consider how long they will last. They seem to fit that price vs value thing and perform very well. I do think that Rob is correct in that once you reach a certain level of quality, you start loosing value as you move up the line so to speak and the gains in performance are small (haven't tried the best so I may be a little off in this aspect). This purchase that you are considering should be based on your needs and what you think of them. As you are fishing tournaments now, I would concentrate on purchasing that reel and rod combo that you are especially fond of and shy away a bit from the "great deals" unless you have an immediate need for quantity. i've got one combo that just feels great and I have a lot of confidence in (my lucky rod) and I try to find equipment that matches it or is better. The reason why is that I tend to spend all my time with my favorite rod n reel in my hand. Mac and Curtis really spoke highly of the jlm reel. It is on sale and probably would be worth trying as it has some great specs on it. If you like the extreme rods I might go ahead and buy these combo's on sale. You could also get a curado (i like the super free's for pitchin) and try one out also and see if it is worth the extra coin to you. if you like the curados better, you could switch them out later as you wouldn't be loosing much since the rods are ususally $99 and your gettin combos for $69.

jd

I echo what Jim had to say. My Dad always taught me to save your money a little longer and get quality and it will take care of you. I've always tried to keep that appoach in buying my reels and rods.

I'm certain of it, since I'm looking at the ad. It's on pg. 6 of the flyer.

BPS Extreme (low profile) reel, reg. 79.99, on sale at 69.99. Right next to it, the following:

FREE XPS Performance Graphite Rod with purchase of Extreme Baitcast Reel. Expires 4/30/03. A $59.99 value.

The flyer is number BP308788.

Also, on the back page, I noticed (during lunch today), the following:

Shimano Bantam Curado/Extreme XPS Rod Combos. $80.00 savings. $139.98. I'm thinking that this is probably the better way to go.

Tex

my bro has 4 of the reels hasnt used them much but I have casted them and they are really smooth, seem to cast very well and feel fairly comfortable. Plus he got them for 49.00 at the x-mas sell at cincy. He put them on quantum rods. I bought the pflueger supremes for 49.00 like them so far. Use to own shimanos (never any curados) and never really thought they where that much better just more gagits. But with all the talk maybe I'll give them a little harder look next time as far as bad reels I got a eon last year and they BLOW (my opinion).

Buzz, as you saw first hand last year, more expensive does not always mean better. The Genesis was a perfect case in point. I have had many of my current reels 10 years and still going strong. Maintenance is a big part. And clients as Tox said, well you get all kinds and some crank down the drag to get a snag out and leave it there, then rip on a fish and ruin drags. Or they get all excited after netting a 4+ lb smallie and forget the set the rod down and step or sit on it. Just par for the course, but it's why I don't have a boat full of $350 Daiwa Z's with G Loomis $250 poles.

Glad to hear the comment about the EON's. I've looked at them, but wasn't too impressed. Wanted to get some feedback, and now I have it.

Curtis - good point about the rods.

Well, I'll see tomorrow. I'll be there in the morning, and then decide.

Thanks all.

Tex

Tex

I bought that $69 Extreme/XPS combo for my 13 yeaar old son and I'm very impressed with it. I got him the 6' med action rod and when he's not with me it's my go to rig for tosing spinnerbaits. The reel is a dream. I believe it will out cast my Curaddo SF. I think you can get the same combo but with the Extreme rod, which is a higher modulus graphite rod for $99.

When I go to the Classic in a couple of weeks I plan to check out the Johnny Morris special baitcaster. Ten bearings for $99 sounds pretty appealling.

Harpo

The XPS rods are built on the same blank as the $80 Bionic Blades (IM-8 Graphite) with the same grip and weight balance adaptable butt, just finished in black with the XPS logo. The $49.88 Extreme reel sold at Christmas was the 2002 model year end close-outs. The ad Tex refers to is for the 2003 model Extreme reel (very minor changes from '02) with the XPS rod of your choice in actions availlable. It's a very good combo at a great price. ($69) The Curado/Extreme combo is the Spring Classic special that is usually availlable once a year at that price during this event. It is one incredible match up of rod and reel. ($120 Curado and $100 Extreme) It's availlable in too many configuration to list, each one great for technique specific fishing. It's a tough choice, but what an enjoyable dilemna to have! Have a ball at the Classic!

P.S. I've got guide equipment 10yrs. old and older of both Shimano and BPS stuff, plus some others, still in great shape. Up until just a couple years ago I averaged 100-150 days for hire on the water, putting that gear through the paces. I don't think I was just lucky. I think that with good care of my tools, they should last with just normal maintence on wearable items. (drags and bearings) Just my .02!

I picked up a couple extremes over the winter, they were combo'd with xps rods, they seem to be pretty good combo's but one can't tell much when casting at snow piles at the end of the driveway! Can't wait to try them out for real, but I say, for the price, on sale at $69, that is one smoooooth reel. Time will tell how they hold up, but until then, I'm excited about them. egMike

I purchased the Extreme reel with the Performance IM8 grafite rods. For the most part, what they had (at Charlotte) were 6'6" and 7' MH rods. No medium's or heavy available (at least on Saturday). The Curado combo's were right next to it. Here was my decision point.

At first, I was convinced that I was going to get the Curado combo's (two) at the $139.00 price. I inspected, looked, checked the rods/reels quite a bit. Part of my inspection was the free spinning of the reels when flicked similar to casting. The Curado's performed okay, but not what I would call outstanding.

Then I picked up the extreme reel combo, and was blown away. It spun seemingly forever. I double checked two different reels from each group, including checking on the adjustments, etc. I was just very impressed with the BPS stuff. I took three home with me.

Yesterday, I spooled them up, and took them for a backyard test drive. Took a 6'6" version, put on a 1/4 oz jig, and went to pitching, flipping and casting in the backyard. This on a med/heavy rod. I expected problems, with the light jig. In short, it performed wonderfully. I'm happy with my purchase.

Also bought 3 Lucky Craft lures. 2 Pointer 100's, 1 Pointer 78. Also got a replacement DT-10, and one (1) new Rick Clunn Orion crankbait ('spring' crawfish). Dropped about $300.00. When we ran into friends and he was spending $700.00, my wife decided that I did good.

Tourney this weekend - will try out my new combo's for real then.

Tex

You done "reel" good big boy. That Extreme is one hellava reel for only $69. I'll bet they could sell more if were priced at + $100. Everybody would believe it was as good as it seems.

Harpo

Latest posts

Back