Under Fire

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatrap

Reaction score
I have had an exciting experience that I'd like to relate. We had been in Galveston TX for a week and arrived home Sat night. So the next afternoon I took the boyz a close by Public Wildlife area for a good run. It's 1.3 miles to the top of a hill that has an old farm trail that is mostly overgrown. People walk their dogs, ride their horses or just hike the area. In my case it was the dogs.
As I rounded the top of the hill I entered the remains of what was a cornfield years ago when the area was tilled. I was calling the boyz back for the return trip down the hill when very close by, rifle fire broke out followed by a huge explosion. Dirt and grass blew in with the breeze and rained down around me. More rifle fire an AR 15 I can tell. Then another explosion. More debris this time followed by bullets cracking right over my Pollack head. Twigs from limbs shot loose fell on the trail. I had yelled loudly at the first outburst that someone was on the trail but maybe the guys shooting were wearing ear protection.
A third huge explosion and my youngest dog took off down the trail. My old boy kept with me as I crawled then duck walked to a lower elevation. It sounded like two rifles with 30 round mags broke loose tearing through the trees above my head. I counted one string of 20 rounds. I considered firing a warning shot to alert the guys shooting that I was in the area but decided that may make matters worse. Plus I was face down in the dirt scooting on elbows and knees.
After I was down the trail a ways the firing stopped and I called the sheriffs Dept and clued them in. They said that they check it out but I was outside city limits and it was legal to shoot and probably detonate Tannerite. I went to a nearby gas station to get a soda(mouth was pretty dry) and asked if they had heard the explosions. The clerk said it knocked dust off the overhead AC vent.
So I go home and the deputy was there and I repeated the story. He said he didn't see anyone but would check out the area again and clue in the shooters that they were not shooting safely. YOU THINK!
Now for the kicker. My daughter shows up when I'm telling my wife about my experience. She says her girlfriend and her husband live right over the hill from the Wildlife area and the girlfriend's hubby has made a range in the back of their property my daughter even has a cellphone picture of the target set up. AR 15's and handguns on a newly made bench. Guess what?? The target stand is ON TOP OF THE CREST OF THE HILL. The idiots don't have a back stop and their bullets are going guess where? Through the tall grass and tree line that I recognized as the place I was standing about 50 yards away. I could see the tall oak that marked the beginning of the old cornfield that I was in on the cellphone pic.
So I call the deputy back and give him a sit rep. My daughter said that the girlfriends hubby doesn't have much training in firearms and is learning. I let the law handle it but geeze!!! As the crow fly's Interstate 80 is a mile and three quarters from the top of the trail. So far I've heard nothing.
It's been many years since someone shot at me. It still sucks.
fatrap

Now you would think some common sense would come into play. I hope her girlfriend doesn't have kids with her hubby. it'll be another generation of DUMB*ZZ's. Now I'm wondering, where the target was, was it his property? You gotta account for where the bullets are ending up. Been a long time since I've been shot (twice and stabbed twice in my first 5 yrs of law enforcement) but at least it was intentional. I'd hate to think I got killed by a dumbazz idiot. Glad you guys escaped that scenario.

I've been shot at multiple times....Both by accident and by someone who knew what they were doing and neither one was very fun.

From what I can tell it was on the backside of his property but not excuse for no backstop. It was close enough all I heard was the bang and wizzzz, the ticking of little branches being detatched. No sonic boom just crack wizzz. Guess where I'm going now? Shooting.
fatrap

Mike.... they say you can't kill a man that was born to be hanged.... maybe it applies.... Glad, real glad you are safe.

I've only been shot at once as a kid. The house I grew up in sat on the corner off a dead end street. At the end of it was a gravel pit (that now sits a high dollar golf course and estates). Anyway, I rode my bike down to the gravel pit with a friend of mine and walked down to the quarry. As we approached, we saw a man plinking at some cans, but since we didn't recognize him we stayed very low to the ground and peaked over a small mound of gravel and dirt near the tower. After a dozen rounds or so, he caught us staring and the next thing up know, he turned more than 90º and fired a shot hitting the tower next to us. I didn't have to wait for the second shot to ring out before my knees were hitting my chin. I hauled ass and got out if there!

Nope, idiots that vote are more dangerous especially the ballot stuffers :confused:

Latest posts

Back