Trouble with power trim

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otto Brown

Reaction score
I have a 1994 Nitro Rick Clunn addition. I bought it in 1996. I just changed my lower unit fluid and I cannot get my motor to go up with the power trim. The motor is a 60hp mercury. I push the up button the trim turns on but the motor will not raise. I can pull the motor as the trim is running and it goes up very slow. Do I need a new trim motor and could I change it myself. Also where could I order the part.

Thank You very much.

Check to make sure your pressure relief isn't loose. There should be a large screw type thing near the base of the cylinder,on the right(drivers) side. It will line better

up with the motor in the lowered position. It will release the pressure to allow the motor to be raised or lowered manually.

Make sure it is tight.

Other than that there may be air in the system. It should purge on its own by running it up and down. As long as you have enough fluid in it.

Make sure it is not a battery issue as well. A low battery will cause the tilt and trim to function at less than full strength.

HP

Thanks to all for the info. I did what Steve R suggested and checkrf the fluid. It was ok in the down position but when I put the motor in the up postion I checked it again (it is written on the pump to check in up position) and the fluid was low. I added fluid and it works just fine.

Tanks again

Latest posts

Back