Tracker 125 hp outboard wont run, after I started it...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony banks

Reaction score
Hey guys, my mercury (tracker) 125hp hasnt been run in a couple of years. I was afraid the carbs would be varnished up with bad gas. After about 5 minutes I got it to hit. It would sputter and eventually die. I hooked up a water hose to the lower unit tried to advance the throttle. The motor was still trimmed up. It started again; However it died, again. In returning the throttle to the neutral position, so i could restart the motor.... I went too far and shifted into reverse without the motor running. Now the motor is locked into reverse. The shifter moves but the motor is still locked into reverse. Since the neutral switch isn't made, the motor wont try to start.
Have I damaged my shifter cable or the shifter mechanism? How do I get the motor back into neutral without the motor running? Do i need to trim the motor down, to get it out of reverse? I almost had my 125 running. I hope I haven't damaged something ☹️

Latest posts

Back