The "Michigan Rig" (modified drop-shot)

• Thread starter Marke Cicero [IMG]http://www.zjstech.net/~library/
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marke Cicero

Reaction score
For those of us in Michigan who can NOT legally fish a drop-shot, here is a modified version that IS LEGAL. It was published in the Oct. 2003 Bass Master magazine. I have tried it and it does work pretty well. I think it provides more action and better sensitivity than a 3-way swivel.
The Michigan Rig.jpg

Carlos,

The MDNR has outlawed drop shotting due to all of the Salmon fisherman who try to snag them in the shallow rivers intentionally (sp) thus making it illegal to dropshot for any type of fish in michigan.

T.S.

Michigan states that it is unlawful to have a "weight" below the hook.

That's if there's a hook tied directly to the line, Marke. You must have atleast a 3" leader line coming off the mainline in Michigan. That law was put in place to help eliminate salmon snagging. The drawing in the that article is accurate.

Mac

This is actually how I drop shot anyway. It's a technique I learned from an old timer ice fisherman. I can't ever get my hook to line up properly when tied directly to the line. Doing it this way, I have no problems.....well, once in a while, it will tangle up, but only if you're casting it. Most drop shotting I do, is vertical over the edge of the boat.

Rob you should learn to tie the drop shot rig the standard way because you'll catch a lot more fish casting it. Too bad you'll be out of town for my smallmouth seminar March 27th because I'll be teaching all the how-do's on dropshotting. Mark

I talked w/Brian the other night & said were all set for april 3&4th

Sounds good. You'll have to show me your trick for getting the hook to stay straight. I've caught a lot of fish drop shotting, but doing the MI way. Shut up Mini.....got NOTHIN to do with MI! LOL

I have not tried to drop shot before. Does the attitude of the hook matter? You want the hook "up" correct?

Carlos

Yep. Start out putting your line through the hook eye with the hook pointing up. Tie a palomar with the tag end the length you want your leader, before you put your weight on run that tag end back through the eye from top to bottom. When you put the weight on it will pull it vertical. Then rig your bait "wacky" (in the middle) or in the nose.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back