Steering

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat Crane

Reaction score
I have a NX 750 with a 90 HP outboard. Is it common that the more you trim the motor up after plane the harder it is to steer it? Pretty new to this site and it is a great site. Just asking. Thanks!!!

My Z6 was the opposite, the more the motor was trimmed in, the harder it pulled right and heavier the steering was, as it trimmed out and speed increased, less torque, lighter steering and easier to drive.

I had that with my NX750 w/115 but it depended greatly on which prop I was using. A 22P LaserII did not have any feedback once it was trimmed out but I hit the RPM limiter. A 24P LaserII was a bit different. Initially feedback decreased to zero with trim but as I trimmed for max RPM and better running angle, the steering started to get harder and harder. A 23P Trophy Plus gave me the best of everything. Once it was trimmed up right there was NO feedback. I could let go of the wheel and it would track straight. The same trim angle worked this way from 3200RPM up to WOT.

What prop and pitch are you using? The motor height could be wrong too. In what hole is the motor bolted to the transom?

Ron

Change out your steering helm to a Teleflex "NFB" (No feed back) steering helm. The problem will go away no matter how you have it trimmed or what speed your going. I did this on my PT185, 90 hp and it works just fine. You can let go of the wheel and it will not move. But it will be a little harder to turn the steering wheel.

There are HP limits on these types of helms but 90 hp is within. They make them for both rotary and rack/pinion steering systems. I added a link so you can research it.
http://www.teleflexmarine.com/products/mechanical-steering/

Latest posts

Back