Prop ? for Bob

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim C. Jackson

Reaction score
Hi Bob I am new here, and going to be getting a new Tracker Targa 18 combo with a 150 optimax. My ? is the lakes here in colorado we boat at are 7000 ft. elevation, so I am wondering what pitch prop I should be running if you could help thanks.:)

Your going to love that boat. We had ours out for the first time last week and couldn't be happier.

How fast is youre boat, does it plane out fast? Does the 150 seem strong? I am wanting to use mine for pulling tubes and fishing.Thanks

The boat calls for a 17" Enertia. I would advise your Dealer that that prop MIGHT be "too large", as in too much pitch. You might have to prop DOWN one size......

Thanks Bob are you saying 17 is too much at this elevation. I was going to try the aluminum prop it comes with before buying a SS prop.

Won't really know until you try it. Just let the Dealer know that it may need a "swap"....One thing for SURE...you will have less rpm and horsepower, probably to the tune of about 5%.

At 3/4 throttle or so, speedo said 45. Don't have GPS yet for a more accurate reading. I have the 17" Enertia but most of the lakes here are in the 300-400 ft. elevation. Planes out fast as far as I,m concerned. I won't be pulling any plugs on the prop.

Hey Bob is there going to be much performance difference between the aluminum prop and SS prop. It seems kind of crazy that you pay 27,000 for a boat and it dosnt come with one already. The dealer said they could upgrade it for me. Thanks

Unless something has changed VERY recently, the package comes with an Enertia 17" S/S......

The dealer here told me that it comes with aluminum and I have to pay the difference if I want SS. Will there be much difference comparing the 2.

I have this exact config on my boat and I can pull 2 salom skies out with no problems and I have the stock alumunim prop.

There is a HUGE difference. Dealer is "partially" correct...when equipped with the standard engine, the prop is aluminum. When the motor is upgraded to a "V", it comes with the Enertia S/S prop...... ;)

Oh I am guessing you mean Verado. So I guess it is worth the 500$ upgrade to get the Enertia then! Dont want to pay the VRod price.

No, I mean a "V-6" engine...Opti OR Verado.......the only prop choice in the chart is the Enertia.....I will call the Factory to be sure.....

EDIT: Factory confirmed boat is standard {when motor upgraded} with an Enertia....! You should NOT have to pay extra.....

So what do I tell the dealer without getting in a fight with them? They are the only dealer that is close to me. Which chart are you looking at? Thanks

Tell them it is STANDARD equipment with the Opti-Max. Let me know the name of the Dealer and I can have the Factory call Them for you.......

Ok thanks Bob I am not ready to purchase it just yet, the name is Marine Max in Grand Junction Colorado.:) They seem like they just want to sell you something. I probably wont be getting it now till next summer.

Bob B.... You really are very helpful to us novices. Thanks again! I have the 2012 Targa V18 WT w/ Mercury 150 Fourstroke. It came with the Enertia 17" SS prop and a ton of steering torque. You said the correct prop for that combination was an Enertia 18" SS. The dealer swapped it and that helped the steering torque some, but lost rpm's and speed. I upgraded to a Uflex hydraulic steering system (for $1,000.). Tremendous improvement. So I ended up going back to the original Enertia 17" SS prop. Now, with full load and 2 people I have great hole shot, 5600 rpm and 46 mph(GPS) at WOT. I'm very happy with that. Thanks again for your help! Targa

Just for clarification.....the three V-6's that are optional are the Opti, Verado, and the "new" 150 four-stroke. The Opti and the new motor take the 17" Enertia, the VERADO takes an 18". Remember, propping is NOT an exact science and there are hundreds of variables to take into account when getting the "right" prop.

Bob is there a reason why they are saying it comes with an aluminum prop, I wonder if it is a shady dealer?

Bottom line.....it is standard with that motor, if they are saying otherwise, have them call the factory for verification.....

Jim, Your going to love your new Targa. I recently purchased the Targa WT with a Opitmax 115. Awesome boat and awesome motor!!!! I love everything about my new rig and you will too!!! enjoy!!:D

Ok thanks Bow Tech sounds like a good boat it sure looks roomy inside for fishing.I am surprised you didnt get the 150 Opti for more power.:) Does anyone know what the difference is in the Targa and the Tundra. I know they dont make the Tundra anymore, I am guessing the Targa replaced it?

Hello Bob and others,

Brand new here on the site. Hope I'm not hijacking this thread. I have a 2011 Targa w/ the 150 optimax I bought new last July. It came with a 19" aluminum prop. Is the SS Enertia only provided on the 2012 models? I am trying to re-prop now and having a hard time getting above 5200 wot rpm with 19" SS props. The prop shop doesn't think I should go down. It looks like a 17" might be the ticket though. The dealer also delivered the boat with the motor FOT. I now have it in the 3rd hole as Tracker specifies. Thanks!

Yes, that is correct, the 2012 Targas equipped with V-6's come with Enertia S/S props, the 2011's did not.

RPM is RPM....if you are only getting 5200 with the 19", then I would recommend going down to the 17". I'd like to see closer to 5500....and so would the motor...;)

Hey Washington Targa what does FOT mean, excuse me for not knowing. Also does it have to be in the 3rd hole or can you move it to the 2nd. Just wondering if you can play with the engine height at all to gain some rpms.

Thanks BOB should have known that, can you play with the holes up and down or leave it in the 3rd hole?

Bob B. Did you mean to say the 150 Fourstroke is an inline 4 cylinder? Targa

Jim...leave it in the third hole.

Targa....YES that is correct.....:blink:

I am thinking that my dealer put the motor flush on transom to compensate for performance issues with the aluminum prop. The problem with that is a lot more drag and less speed and rpm. With the 19" Tempest and raised position, I had incredible handling and speed, but still couldn't get enough RPMs. I'm going to see if I can try a 17" Tempest and perhaps an 18" Enertia. I fish and pull the kids on the tube, so I'm trying to get the best of both worlds with speed and grip/holeshot. Thanks for your help Bob and the other.

I have a 2012 Targa V18 WT and it has the 115hp four stroke with a 14pitch prop and max speed is 30mph and if I have water in the back livewell, it's a real dog to get on plane, motor is mounted on 2nd hole. Trimmed up to about 45% is slow to get 5800rpms. Think it needs different prop or moved down flush on transom?

Latest posts

Back