Poor move by Irwin and FLW Organization

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
From Bassfan.com:

ESPN camera crews will not be allowed to access the weigh-in at next week's Forrest L. Wood Championship. The company had hoped to cover the Championship for its BassCenter program. It appears the problem surrounds tour terminology. Specifically, FLW Outdoors wanted ESPN to use Wal-Mart in front of any references to FLW Outdoors or the FLW Tour. ESPN said no. Now they're out of the Championship.

BassFan spoke with FLW Outdoors chairman Irwin Jacobs, who said it was his decision. "When they (ESPN) called and asked for access when they started their bass SportsCenter, we said absolutely

It is an integrity issue Tex. And Irwin stuck by his convictions. Good for him. THAT is what makes the FLW what it is and not what BASS has become.

There may be contractural issues with Wallmart as the sponsor. He may be obligated to enforce the use of Wllmarts nam in all promotions an publicity, kind of like he NASCAR Nextel Cup races. Nextel pays so their name must be used.

Couple of comments, and I AM NOT trying to get into a contest/confrontation on this.

Irwin can only control his organization. He cannot pose his contracts on other organizations, by his will. ESPN wanted to cover this from a news/informational view, and from a Broadcast view.

If Wal-Mart is the contractual sponsor, and it's not just FLW Outdoors, then how come the web site is flwoutdoors.com and not wal-mart flwoutdoors.com? And why is not Wal-Mart featured promintetly on all the logo's and text on the site? It's there, but in many cases it is not prominent or easy to find.

And I find it very difficult to believe anything that Irwin does can be described as an integrity issue. If so, then maybe they should go back and apply some of that integrity to enforcement and even application of the rules. Guess they forgot to put on their 'integrity' clothes on those days.

Again, I think that FLW is a good organization. I like what they've brought to the table. But just because someone goes out and buy's one of Irwin's boats, does not make them the #1 organization. Go to the classic. Watch the vendors, crowds, coverage and all. Go to the FLW championship and do the same. There is a signifcant difference.

Tex

I preferred the FLW to BASS well before I bought a Ranger Tex. It was BECAUSE of the FLW (and it's quality) that I bought a Ranger, not the other way around.

And with regards to those integrity issues within the tourney and it's rules, unless you were there, know all the facts involved, and have interviewed all parties, don't be so quick to judge either Irwin, Bill Taylor, or the FLW. And don't believe everything you read on BFHP or Bassfan.com.

BASS has had it's share of controversy over the years. And remember how new the FLW is compared to BASS. They are still learning and every year are improving. That could NOT be said about BASS until the FLW came along and forced their hand.

Both are good organizations and to have them both only benefits professional anglers. However, with the backing and history that BASS has, I would have hoped they would be doing a better job of staying current with the needs of anglers. The FLW makes it MUCH easier to fish their tours and to make a living at it. It's not a tight little click like has been preserved in BASS.

That's my take on it, take it for what it's worth.

Competition drives improvement all the way around.

Amen on not believing what you read, I believe media sources, like people have their own personalitites/slants/agendas. Nothing like 1st person experience for me to form an opinion I can stand behind with conviction.

Also, the more I talk to my fishing partner about the dude that just cut in front of me, the madder I get and the worse (in my mind) the situation was. If you interviewed me at that dock vs the exact moment it happened, I don't think my take would be the same. Human nature for me to grumble over the shouda' said, shouda' dones in my mind and exact revenge verbally later by turning it into a 'fish' story. :angry:

But since I've been there for none of this....who knows.:unsure:

Maybe it was a bad move on ESPN's part for not agreeing to include Wal-Mart. I think you could look at it either way. Remember when Clark Wendlandt refused to fish the BASS trail because of the Busch patch (which conflicted with Kellogg's convictions)? He may have spiraled into a slump after that (maybe the Potomac tourney got him out of it), but I admire him for his conviction, as I admire Jacobs/Taylor or whoever at FLW. I'm not saying it was the best move, but I still admire his conviction.

Jacobs is staying with the horse that brought him there. There's something to be said about that.

I don't like any of them I like the Carp Tour and flathead catfish open......HEE HEE :lol::lol::lol:

I wonder why ESPN would NOT say the Wal-Mart FLW tour???? What do they have to lose by saying it? Irwin was supporting his largest sponsor which is smart, and DID say that if ESPN would call the tour by what it is supposed to be called, he would let them cover it.

To me, it was ESPN who dropped the ball and once again tried to stir the pot by refusing and tryint to make it look like the FLW's fault again.

Ok so who has the most money Ole J Morris Or Irwin ???????????? Ireally would like to know which has the most power ???????????:cool:

Irwin could buy JLM 10 times over.......and not even make his accountant's nervous.

JLM is a multi-millionaire.......Jacob's is a billionaire!! :wacko:

Thanks Mac!!! I was just wondering....My next ride will be a used alum..Sylvin 14 footer for the river and a new 45 footer motor home, already working on her..She Is a bute...Got the Ranger up for sale at the dealer.. Gonin Campin...HE HE HEHHEEHEHH:D

Wal-Mart FLW is the trademark of the organization. Suppose, another outdoor network were reporting BASS events and refused to tag Busch Beer at the end of every sentence. Think Bass would cooperate with them very long? Its the same deal.

The Sponsors of the Commpetitiors were counting on the ESPN exposure.....

JR, Mac is talking about Jerry McKinnis ( i don't think i spelled that right)

Not Johnny Morris

This morning on Loudmouth Bass, 'Wal-Mart FLW Outdoors' was used once. All other references were generally FLW Outdoors. The people affected are the pro's in FLW, and Irwin to some degree. As Staci has said, they loose free exposure.

Also interesting this morning the comments regarding two tours from Greg Hackney. While he certainly will make up his own mind (with help from his sponsors), it sures looks like he will only fish BASS next season. Wonder how much more of that will transpire.

Tex

From Bassfan.com - updated comments from ESPN:

Daniel Bowen, senior coordinating producer for ESPN Outdoors, told BassFan: "Our first and foremost criterion is reporting news and information. Our producers strive to be fair and balanced, and use the proper names associated with events. On first reference in a given story, BassCenter makes an effort to mention the title sponsor of a given event, but there are no guarantees. This is journalism, not advertising."

He added: "We will continue to cover all major bass-fishing events because our goal is always to serve the fans.

Tex

LOL!! TT, I don't think I would call it "free exposure"! They pay for it..... Believe me, they do pay for it..... :rolleyes:

Oh! Very tongue-in-cheek, John!

I was just meaning that, at that level of competition, there are a lot of consumers watching..... The pay-offs for the Sponsor can be huge. NASCAR's "Win on Sunday; Sell on Monday."..... However, while advertising will "pay" in the long run, it does "cost" up front.

That's all! :)

me!

KB,....I was refering to Johnny Morris....he's loaded for sure...REALLY loaded...but he's not in the same league as Irwin!!;)

Staci,

Yeah, you are right. Saw an interesting item on Fox Sports net yesterday. I have DirecTV, so I look at descriptions of the programs. I saw the time slot for FLW Outdoors coming on yesterday at 11:00AM, so I thought I would see what tourney they were going to show.

This was the description:

Bass Tour at Ohio River.

It actually was the BFL All American at the Ohio River.

Tex

Latest posts

Back