Oh man....more work than I thought! Warranty denied.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOMMY RICH

Reaction score
Well as supected Tracker Marine denied my warranty claim on my boat because the keel is welded from the "inside". Warranty covers all "external" welds:(

I tore off the front deck yesturday and cut about an 8" section of foam from the center all the way back to the first storage compartment and then I hit a brick wall!

The aluminum box that is about 20"X30" and with the foam "glued" to the bottom it was a nightmare to get it out! All day cutting foam, rivets and cleaning up so I can get the cracks in the keel welded. I don't think it can be welded from the inside at all myself due to a 3" support cap tack welded every three inches that goes the full length of the centerline of the boat. I beleive it will have to be welded from the outside. I can't see him cutting all theose welds loose and cutting the end out to remove it. We'll see tonite what the welder says.

With all I've been thru I can HONESTLY say this will be the last Tracker boat I'll ever own:angry:

Sorry to hear that, Tee. Come over to the glass side!

Sorry to hear that, I am kinda new to this forum but have been able to help and also attain info. Do you know what caused the weld to give or was it a flaw with the weld? Just hoping I don't have the same issue down the road on my PT 185 also, what year is your boat? I see Teri suggested going to glass but that's where I came from, I changed because I fish a lot of shallow water and also wanted something with less weight and also less power, I guess the older ya get the less ya want??:unsure::

Gator Man

I came from the tin side. I really liked my Lowe but I wouldnt go back now, maybe when I grow up. :D

Teri.... I don't blame you for not going back.... congrats on your new fishing machine and maybe turning PRO...Don't ever grow up:lol:

I must have missed something about how to post pictures, can you teach an ole' guy a new trick on posting picture?

Thanks

Gator Man

No pictures...sorry guys. No PC at home and I got my hands slapped last time I uploaded here at work.

For those who want to know...the welds have apparently cracked in two different places down the keel that I can tell. There's about a 4" support cap that's tack welded every three inches or so there's no way to weld except from the outside. That's why Tracker won't cover it IMHO. It will have to be welded from the outside.

Welder looked at it last nite and confirmed my thoughts. Don't really know what caused it other that hitting a wave to hard? I dunno...

If you seen the way the structure of the boat is and the way it's welded...I nor the welder understand why the welds cracked but, that's the way the mop flops I guess.

Once he welds it from the outside..he's gonna' tack weld some braces I made and place them across the stiffeners in the front for more support. Nothing else I can really do.

Good thing I have quite a bit of experience working with airplanes and aluminum.

Probably cost around 200 to 300 bucks...takin' it in on Monday after I clean the seams a little bit so no contamination can get in the weld.

Sorry for the rant:(

Not a rant TEE. Nobody likes it when their rig breaks. Just some things I consider when I get frustrated.....How many hours on the water has your boat gone....How much repair have I had to do in the long run (I know you had other issues)....Could another boat have given me the same, better or worse problems? I just try to keep it in perspective and realize that thing are gonna break no matter what boat you run.

TOXIC

Your right $h!+ happens!

Just gotta get her fixed so I can head down to Dale and foggettaboutit!;)

The boat is on it's way to the welder tonite...spent the weekend making braces and cleaning the aluminum for weld;)

Will report back with cost and how they did.

OIC!:lol:

Actually I worked at the 4950th Test Wing here at the base from 89' to 95' and then was RIF'D into Accounting of all things for the last 15+ years. I did everything from major aircraft mods to R&D in the camera field which was the greatest.

I'm doing budget work now for the F16 SPO.

Latest posts

Back