Nitro Z6

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THOMMO59

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Nitro Z6 on order with a 115 Mercury XS Pro. I'm hearing that the Z6 sits low in the water at low speeds and hard to get up on the plane. Without testing and before I actually receieve the boat, do I need an aquaplane, or Hydrofoil type system added to the cav plate???

I have the 2008 Z6 with a 'fin' and not sure what to compare it to as far as getting up on plane but I am learning how to take off so to speak with the trim. I have only had it out 3-4 times so not completely sure what is the ideal way to get the best hole shot. Of course, depending on whether I am alone, live well full, amount of gas, etc. will change things. One thing for me, I probably will not keep a full gas tank since I do not run for long in the area I fish (most of the time) and would rather keep fresh gas in the tank anyway ( I do keep my boat in a garage, so the full tank condensation issue is not a problem and I do not use ethanol gas plus I use sta-bil to be safe). Also, if you look back a few days ago, this issue was discussed at length. I was concerned after reading about this just before I bought my boat and the topic about the Z6 pulling to the right was another but neither issue is a problem with my boat....I am a happy man. You will be also....good luck. kenny

Thanks Kenny,

I did read those posts but I understand that all of the Nitro range are different so I reall was trying to get some specifics on the Z6, 2011 Model. The pulling to the right was interesting and is usually quite the opposite in most boats, caused by thrust. The prop spins right and tries to push the boat to the left as it grabs water.

I guess time will tell, I was hoping to but one with it just in case but if it's not needed, why waste my money.

cheers

My 2011 Nitro Z-6 is at the dealership as we speak for a few warranty issues, including the "dangerous" steering wheel pull to the right upon taking off. I adjusted the tab over the prop. as suggested in the owner's manual. No help at all. I asked the service manager said he would look in to it. We shall see. I asked him if he went and bought a brand new Mercedes Benz and as he jumped on the freeway it pulled so hard to the right, he ran off the freeway, would he accept that the dealer said he needed to buy additional parts.

jw

My Z-6 had the right pull issue. The motor cables were so loose that it flopped around when using the trolling motor causing the boat to move in circles if I didn't tilt it out of the water. It pulled so hard to the right that I would be in the canal bank if I let go for a split second. I actually had other Bassboat owning fisherman telling me that it was way too dangerous to drive.

I took it to my dealer, and to Nitro's credit, they fixed the issue by installing a no-feedback helm. But the initial inspection found no problems with steering system and it was as designed by the factory. My dealer fought for me with Nitro to have the helm installed. Now the boat runs straight as an arrow on the water no matter what speed, and there is (obviously) no feed back at the helm.

Simple fact of the matter is that a single Rack and Pinion system is not enough for this boat, or there is a major issue at the factory.

My boat planes fine with two fisherman and a basic load out. But put three grown men, all the gear, full livewells, and a full tank of gas and it takes a while to get on plane.

Thanks gents, sounds like I should be more concerned with the boat pulling right rather than getting on the plane.One would think that if there's in inherant problem, Nitro would do something and not just sit back and wait for liabilities?

I had a quick look online for a "No Feedback" steering and there appears to be just the helm for about $160 or the whole system for about $430. I'm guessing that maybe i could get away with just the helm if everything is is brand new?

The other question for you 2011 Z6 owners is, what size Hitch ball (tow ball) is needed for the coupling with brakes?

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back