Nitro key

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B.G. Marvets

Reaction score
My partner bumped into my key while it was in the ignition and broke half the key off.....does anyone know where I can get a new key?

Sorry....I didn't see that info in your first post.

They can get them.....give them the code# off the part of the key you have.

UNLESS......you have an older boat???

If a Nitro dealer doesn't know, who would? Does the broken off part have a number on it?

He should be able to replace your key with that number. Can you get the remainder of the key out? If so, couldn't anyone that makes keys make you one?

I didn't have any keys to the used Tracker I bought except for the ignition key. The dealer gave me all the keys I needed for all of my compartments just by the number on the locks.

Bill

No I ve tried to call a locksmith but they won't here any part of it once they find out it's for a boat ignition???.....I'll try to go to another nitro dealer i guess

thanks bill

BG,

Call 248-333-0997 tomorrow and ask for Craig....he'll get you hooked up.

Worst case scenario, I think a new ignition is only about 15 bux or so.

No this happend 2 weeks ago and I ve been to Logan Martin and Eufaula,AL this week.....but I don't like having to use 2 parts to crank up.....I just don't want the key that's in the ignition to get stuck or get pushed in deeper......but that won't keep me from going right now.

It doesn't have to be a BPS shop, any boat repair facility can replace the ignition for you for about $15 + labor. I had mine done a couple of years ago on my 02 Targa by a local marine repair shop in Westford, MA. I got the recall notice from tracker a month later. Go figure. ::lol:

Of Course Mr Goff is right as always it's a Mercury part not Tracker/Nitro. Home Depot could make you the key with both parts, but you have to find somebody that really wants to help instead of just get a paycheck. Nothing against Home Depot, just a bad employee day.

BF

The location of the ignition on my PT175 (left side of console) is the one thing I dislike about the boat. Whenever we motor to a different part of the lake to fish, I remove the key from the ignition and stick it deep into my pants pocket. Don't know why they would put the ignition on the left side, making the key vulnerable to breakage. :wacko:

:huh: Believe it or not I never remove my key...I figure if they want it that bad then no sense in messin' up the ignition for em':lol:

The 2000 Nitro's used a Perko ignition. Remove the black plastic cover on the head of the key. The number will be stamped on it. It'll be PK###.

Craig

Whenever I take my boat to the dealer they tell me to take my keys home - they have all 6 Merc keys...

If you can't get one that way, and if you have the broken off piece or if it is still in the ignition, try anothe locksmith. I use to work for one and we generally didn't have those key blanks but could get them and we could make one from the broken key. Just check around, someone will do it.

Latest posts

Back